In which we post yet another ten thousand plus interesting or amusing - or neither - tweets

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely.

I have to admit, I'm going to enjoy watching the MAGA crowd doing cheetah flips trying to figure out how this can happen after continuously claiming the Biden Administration has weaponized the DoJ against them.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not happy either with his dealings with the Saudis. Having said that, Joe is easily in my top 2 presidents in my lifetime.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2478 charlie15, Sep 23, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    Reason #234 that is despise the GOP and anyone who claims to still be a republican. They are all unredeemable. If you have an ounce of decency, you can't be in this cult/criminal gang. This dude is being sold as a rational one....GMAFB.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) said he would still support Donald Trump in a rematch against President Biden, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports.

Said Kemp: “Despite all of that, despite all of his other trials and tribulations, he would still be a lot better than Biden. And the people serving in the administration would be a lot better than than Joe Biden. And it has nothing to do with being a coward. It has everything to do with winning and reversing the ridiculous, obscene positions of Joe Biden and this administration that literally, in a lot of ways, are destroying our country.

Mike03 and dapip repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They won't flip, even if the DOJ prosecuted every Democratic Senator. The Democrats could give the Trump Party the benefit of the doubt on 10 straight tennis shots, calling each of them in, and the first time that a Democrat's shot falls within 3 feet of a line the Trump Party will call it out. The Trump Party will never do fair play, and will never show shame while crying about how the other side is unfair.

******** them entirely.

That said, the DOJ should go after Menendez because it's the right thing to do.

raza_rebel, dapip and roadkit repped this.
  5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What would be those ridiculous and obscene positions? Letting the Federal Reserve do its job? Supporting Ukraine? Lowering drug prices?

Sounders78 repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you quoting me? I didn't post this.....o_Oo_Oo_O
    Where is quote coming from?

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably #1 for me. If progressives and other disgruntled Democrats had stood by Obama in 2010, his presidency would have been much more successful and I’d bump him from #2 to the top spot.

Dr. Wankler and charlie15 repped this.
  9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked Herb Hoover.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usscouse repped this.
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    This x1,000,000

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He calls himself upper middle class. I suspect he's in the top 1%, and is not upper middle class. To me, that one single ******** up just makes the whole thing worse.

charlie15 repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Mike03, charlie15, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Georgia Governor Kemp's quote from the article which was copied in your post. He was doing a hypothetical response to Governor Kemp, not to you.

roadkit, charlie15 and JohnR repped this.
  17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I've been listening to David Brooks on the NewsHour for years...he's a reasonable Republican and a decent guy. He's probably at the top of the RINO list for MAGA's everywhere and quickly written off by them. I wish the right was more like this guy.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep. Sorry Charlie. I messed up the quote function.

charlie15 repped this.
  19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He has his moments. Making a joke while drunk about "the Biden economy" isn't one of them, because if his brain cells weren't drowned he would have realized that MAGAs would run with his comment as if it were the gospel truth.

luftmensch repped this.
  20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I'm sure that's right. my experience with him is mostly all from PBS. I've listened to him carefully though and he's usually very measured and sensible in his commentary which is rare for Republican pundits.

21. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I'm still trying to figure out what the "joke" was. I just can't see how it was intended as a joke at all. Just another example of a Republican doing stupid things and not taking any responsibility or wanting any accountability for having done it.

raza_rebel, Mike03, charlie15 and 5 others repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    1) He was surprised that his bill was so high.
    2) He knows that Biden is overly blamed for inflation, by people who believe that Magic Shaman Presidents control global prices.
    3) So, see ... a joke!

Now I don't know that is what he was thinking, but it could well be. I mean, we do stuff like that on this board, writing about how something is Barack's fault when we mean the opposite.

Or maybe he really does think that Biden caused those prices, in which case he would be a dolt.

charlie15, Dr. Wankler and rslfanboy repped this.
  23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There's just a lot that doesn't make sense to me, even if we assume he is oblivious to the need for emojis, etc., when using sarcasm or cracking a joke.

For example, he took the picture before eating the food. At the airport restaurants I've been to in Seattle and LAX they give you the bill after you finish, not before.

Now, I can't eat burgers in airport restaurants, so let's say they gave him the bill with the food. In that case he would have had to have a heck of a lot to drink before the food arrived to get the bill that high. In which case the "joke" was more "I'm going to blame Biden for my drinking problem".

charlie15, JohnR, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  24. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his PBS remarks, I think that he was trying to simultaneously make a self deprecating remark about how out of touch with the lives of the middle class he is, while also saying that the middle and working classes experience inflation as a series of sticker shocks.

25. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

That sounds much more like a post-flub explanation than a pre-flub explanation. I mean, how many journalists deliberately make jokes about how out of touch with the real world their social commentary is? If they really believed that, they would write very differently.

Mike03, superdave, dapip and 1 other person repped this.