In Praise of Spartan Shops

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Spartacus, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I've been meaning to throw this out there for a while now...and watching DC United and the MetroStars play on the NFL turf of Giants Stadium reminded me to do it.

We owe Spartan Shops a big mahalo for taking the time and effort to paint over the gridball lines at Spartan Stadium to make the pitch look like a proper soccer ground. This time of year, the parks where the ground is shared with gridball take shortcuts in preparing their pitches for soccer (simply drawing yellow soccer lines on a regulation fooball gridiron). That shows that the landlords show a complete lack of respect for our game...and that includes the Krafts and the Hunts.

I remember back in the days of the "multi-purpose" stadiums when baseball and football teams were ground sharing, football teams would refrain from painting their fields in full until after baseball season (they'd use chalk lines or faint paint markings that could easily be removed for baseball). The clubs groundsharing respected each other's needs. But soccer does not get that kind of respect...even from the "icons" of American soccer like Kraft and Hunt.

We have vilified Spartan Shops over many things...but where else in MLS is the game of soccer respected more during gridball season than Spartan Stadium?

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree with the sentiment, but c'mon ... gridball?

3. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gridball? The proper term is pointyball, or the newer term armpitball which is starting to grow on me. But gridball?

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're both killing me. :D

5. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    When Spartacus says something positive for Spartan Shops...I know that he's found a proprietor of the island's finest Maui-wowie and he's been sparking up.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Not quite...but I am a couple of mai-tais in and just a little more than an hour until kickoff between SJSU and UH.

7. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    God, the Smurf Turf in Boise looks like ... I can't compare it to ANYTHING!!!!

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We call it gridiron over here, to avoid all confusion. ;)

And our man in the PA booth is spot on here-- it's good that Spartan Shops has the foresight to respect what the field looks like for the event taking place, and further respect the game itself. (I've repped Spartacus for this viewpoint, by the way.)

Believe me, it'll look great on TV for me tomorrow, even some 8,000 miles away. :)