In Praise of Marco Materazzi (not Zidane related)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by allycks, Jan 19, 2007.

1. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    A premise: this has nothing, or very very little to do with Zidane...

(Perhaps a bit overdue, but here we go.)

Before the World Cup, Materazzi was considered THE weak link of the whole azzurri squad. He got bashed by everyone including me. Fans on both sides of the Atlantic questioned Lippi's sanity for including him on the team.
    THEN...
    1.He steps in for Nesta in the final game of the group phase and SCORES the game-winner on a majestic header.
    2.He got a very questionable red card vs. Australia, a red so dubious that it might have served as a tiny unconcious motivation for the ref to give us an equally dubious PENALTY to win the game.
    3.In the final, the freaking World Cup final, Materazzi was the absolute protagonist of the game. First he gets called on yet another dubious foul, penalty for France. Then he SCORES on a towering header, beating Vieira off the ball. Then he procures Zidane's expulsion. Then he hits a perfect shot during the penalty shoot-out. Everything of importance that happened in the World Cup Final revolved around Marco freaking Materazzi.

After the final, all the attention went towards the "Zidane incident" but rewatching the game itself you realize that a little praise is due!

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A great character! Scores brilliant goals and own goals.

3. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. bineaz

bineaz New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Illinois
    He's a dirty player; simple as that. On your team you love his heart, otherwise he's the next coming of Diego Simeone.:p

Case in point: the sneaky way he clipped Toni during the first half of Sunday's match.

5. bineaz

bineaz New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Illinois
    Lippi disagrees:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=216621

But last week he trashed Inter and said Imbra and Viera were the difference.

6. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
  7. bineaz

bineaz New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Illinois

That was last week--he softened up a bit.

8. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What Materazzi did at the World Cup was essential. The year he is having for Inter is one of his best. But please don't ask me to forget the many years of hacking I have seen from him since he first came to Serie A. I always knew he was a good player, or he wouldn't have been able to make a career of it. That is the shame of a player like Materazzi, that he could have been known for the level of his play his entire career, instead of being known as a leg breaking jackass.

9. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've always known that Materazzi was capable of being a class defender. I remember watching him as a young emerging defender captaining Perugia like a veteran. And then he went to Inter, where he became Il Macellaio. I don't what Lippi said to him before the World Cup, but he brought Perugia Materazzi back! Good Riddance Inter Materazzi!

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    F*U*C*KING Inter! Burn in hell or go back to South America!

11. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well said, reflects my mixed feelings on the fellow to a tee.

12. bineaz

bineaz New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Illinois
    Yup--d'accordo.

At Perugia he got the record for most goals by a defender. He took PKs for them. Lippi didn't forget.

13. Curious

Curious New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    The scumbag saga is so hilarious :)

14. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Check the thread title, bud.

15. Porteghal

Porteghal BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2005
    mad respek!

:cool:

16. RegginaAmaranto

RegginaAmaranto New Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Melbourne Australia
    if materazzi was born 20 years earlier, everyone would say hes a tough and good defender.... but these days his form of defence is too 'rough' for the modern game..... his 'hacking' would once be considered 'tackeling' ..... such is the way our game is going