In other news ...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bubba Atlanta, May 8, 2016.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  2. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Looks more like he's about to get a hair cut than a mug shot.

SccrDon repped this.
  3. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    "He approached the bleachers and I think was trying to give our parents a lecture on what a hand ball was," the Hornets coach said. "Our parents have been around the game a while and are very knowledgeable"

LOL apparently they are not very knowledgable if the discussion revolves around yelling from the stands about handball....

colman1860 and That Cherokee repped this.
  4. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Most ridiculous part of the story by far

roby and Law5 repped this.
  5. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During a tournament, I was on a field that was quite far from the nearest restroom. On that particular field, one corner of the area surrounding the field dropped down about six or seven feet with thick woods starting a little further down. At halftime, I went down the incline to where I couldn't see the players or parents and the ground toward the field was higher than my head in order to relieve myself rather than taking ten or more minutes to run to the restroom at the concession stand. After I finished the game and returned to the referee HQ, the assignor told me that some of the parents had complained about my actions. I asked him if they had seen anything inappropriate, and he told me "No, but they knew why you went down there."o_O All I could say was, "And why were they even paying attention?"

dadman, AremRed and That Cherokee repped this.
  6. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    We had a referee relieve himself in a parking lot at some youth games. A parent noticed and complained. He denied it to the parent but admitted it to the assignor. Needless to say, that guy never worked for that assignor again. I think he ended up doing only unaffiliated adult games.

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I have been sorely tempted on more than one occasion, as I have a tendency to over-hydrate and my bladder is long out of warranty. But fear of finding myself in this sort of mugshot has (so far) prevailed ...

8. Yale

Yale Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Hmm, maybe they need to make a version of this but shaped like a flag instead of a golf club.

9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Be very sure you see a foul before you give a wiggle!

camconcay, dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  10. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    So he decided he needed to do some day drinking to get through a 1A playoff game...

He got to ignore the coach that thinks his parents are highly-educated about soccer...

He went over to the obnoxious fans who were yelling about handballs, gathered them together in the bleachers and began to teach them what handling actually was...

He finished the game so that he could get his game fee....

Note how there are no comments about any missed calls or anything between the lines.

I mean, how is this man not our hero? Isn't he doing the dirty work that we have all wanted to do for years? Apparently we just have to get drunk and face probable arrest in order to ignore the blowhard coach & have the courage to actually go lecture the ignorant fans at halftime. He has sacrificed himself so that all of us can finally live vicariously through him.

uniqueconstraint and AremRed repped this.
  11. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
  12. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    U-11 game.

13. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    And parents wonder why some U-11 games are done solo by old, fat guys like me.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  14. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a dad come on the field after his son was taken down by a clumsy tackle just outside the "D" above the PA. He was being legally charged by a less skilled player and finally beat him as he was about to split two other defenders. The defender challenging stumbled and caught the attacker's heels which took him down. The coach was yelling for a card. I looked at him with a "WTF" look on my face. When I turned back around to manage the restart, dad was in my face. This was U10 Rec.

15. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    To summarize a dad came on to the field and verbally berated, shoved, and threw a cup at a 16 year old ref after the man's son was called for a foul. The story is not totally devoid of good news : "The game ended immediately after the alleged assault", “They are banning this parent from all further games”, and "he was placed under arrest for misdemeanor assault". Now if they could just get a news story aired of the guy sitting behind bars.

16. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Dad should also have to:
    • Pay for the ref's recerts for a period not less than 10 years
    • Attend each recert after his sentence ends, and between roll call and opening remarks announce to all: "I was criminally inappropriate at a child's soccer game, ask me how"

17. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I wonder if this was a solo-

U11 parents are the worst- lowest knowledge/obnoxiousness ratio of any age group.

So as much as it seems silly to have three man crews at the younger age groups, I wonder if insisting on such for the young center referee isn't a good idea....

18. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, U11 parents are the worst (u11 girls in particular), but not because of their demeanor in general, but because there is probably a 50% chance that little Kaitlyn is their oldest child, and they simply do not understand the physical aspects of the game. U11 is the great gap in referee development. It is critical that these games are officiated by adults, and yet they are the killing field where young teen referees' careers end because of the behavior of parents. As an assignor I will do these games myself before I will put a kid on them.

dadman repped this.
  19. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Last weekend we had a fight break out between two adults at our year end rec tournament, during a U7/U8 game. I just hope the referee working that game wasn't too young, however fortunately the fight was related to off-field issues, and not anything to do with the referee's performance.

20. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Wow. And I thought it was bad when I witnessed (as an assessor) a fight between parents on a U-16 boys game at youth regionals, which spilled onto the field and ended the game.

IASocFan repped this.
  21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not as good as the fight that broke out between wives and girlfriends of the opposing teams during a Regional Adult tournament many years ago. The problem was that several of the players ran over to help their significant others and try to stop the fights when they heard the commotion. There had not been any problems
    on the field during the game, apparently the women just began insulting each others appearance etc.
    It was actually quite funny, lots of people enjoy watching a good cat fight!:D
    The game continued after order was restored, and field marshals were stationed between the belligerents.

PH

IASocFan, dadman, Law5 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    A while back we had an MBB game end in some macho posturing that wasn't going anywhere until someone's mama got in the middle of the mess and was knocked down. Boy did things get exciting then. One of a half dozen or so games I've been at where cops were called. I was AR on an adjacent field, so I never knew what started the posturing.

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Huh. Was she wielding a handbag by any chance?

Doug the Ref repped this.
  24. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I think she was trying to be a voice of reason. For all I know she was trying to get her son to stop acting like an idiot. She clearly failed on that one.