In-N-Out, The Fans and the Front Office

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Brian Glennon, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I may be wrong, but I think that's the whole point of the thread, to take something we all know is bogus and annoying and turn it into something that will actually make for a better atmosphere. Seems pretty easy to accomplish and God knows the Earth Quake chant is a far sight better than screaming fast food loving adolescents.

I too was surprised and a bit disappointed. Who knows though, with the return of the NASL Quakes in the form of the Heritage cup, we might convince the FO to return some other traditions.

2. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah sometimes i go for a quad flying dutchman animal style and animal style cheese fries with flying dutchman mixed in...

lol

dude i eat alot

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst I ever did was what my fiancee and I call "Fast Food Night". Consisted of a 7x7 with everything, Jack in the Box Ultimate Cheeseburger, Carl's Jr Super Star (they didn't have the 6 dollar at the time), McDonald's Quarter Pounder, Burger King Whopper w/Cheese...

4. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  5. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generic screaming, without any point, rhyme or reason should be discouraged. It needs to be about the team and the sponsor.
    If EARTH...QUAKES does it for those in attendance, so be it. If not, just plain yelling is not the answer.

IDEA: if those in atendance can SUSTAIN the EARTH-QUAKES cheer...oh let's say for 5...10...15 minutes, then give everyone in BS a burger, or whatever. More people at an In-n-Out, more potential profit, and so on.

Top the record time set during the NASL Quakes era and add fries to the deal. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

6. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    LOL, I like it!

7. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lmao

well atleast i know that my metabolism is still good, give me two more years and i will regret eating in-n-out

and no the thread directtion is still on topic, were talking about in n out
    I HAVE A GREAT THOUGHT..

since san jose is the 5th city in USA that has the highest obesity(why do you thnk in n out in san jose only goes up too 4x4 now?)

how about at BS they serve NO food except for half time.

that means
    NO MORE "chuurrrrooossssssssssss"

i swere i wanna buy one some day just too smack him in the head..

thats wy i get standing tickets ..so i dont have to hear some thick mexican accented guy yelling "CHUUURRROOSSSS" and "HOT CHO-CO-LAHT"

every damn second!

8. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS. It's not. Where did you get that?

9. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PROTIP: 90% of what futurequakekeeper says is bullsh**.

10. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW-the back and forth chant only really works when led by a scholarly, nutty, energetic, slightly hoarse professor type of person. Some random nobody, or announcer type person doesn't work. It's got to be someone specific.

IMO there's only one guy who fits the bill to lead that particular cheer, but who knows how much he works these days. Maybe he could do it for old times sake in August, at the reunion.

12. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, we're not talking about In-n-Out. We're talking about the stupid random screaming and how to make that a win win for everyone. It could as easily be a KFC chicken scream or a Saugs Sausage scream. It's about the scream not the sponsor.

Krazy George, scholarly? Professor type? I'm not sure I'd use those terms to describe him but it's kind of moot anyway since he apparently is married and lives in Maryland or someplace back east. He still does his shtick but I'm told his fees which include air fare, hotels and dinning are beyond what the front office is willing to pay.

No, if we are going to make this happen it will have to be without the aid of Krazy George

13. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a teacher...I remember reading something way back that he was at UCSC (I could be wrong).

Anyway, my point was tongue in cheek about KG...but having someone as a focal point for the contest/cheer is better than random chance, even if it has to be an announcer type person.

Also, with the sustained cheer (adding and building on previous times) and the award of one per ticket holder at the game would work, right? Just like tickets from games in the 70's used to get the holder a free burger at Carl's Jr, IIRC.

14. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    We do not need cheerleaders. We have demonstrated that the ultras are able to start a pretty raucous EARTH-QUAKES chant stadium-wide whenever they please. And before they started doing that, there were a couple loud dudes on both sides of the stadium who could also start the chant to the same end, just with a little more difficulty. Thus it is demonstrated that we can start an organic chant among our fans and I get shivers every time I hear all the fans when the team needs it most. It's an essential part of SJ's atmosphere for me.

That's why I don't want Krazy George anywhere near this stadium, and that's why I don't want this chant brought into any sort of corporate, burger-generated thing. It will devalue the chant for me and IMO, will almost completely ruin the appeal to new fans of hearing that chant. They will just think it's something the front office decided to do for burgers, and then it caught on.

Please, listen to me! Don't trivialize the stadium's only organic chant!

15. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    whaaaa? maybe I'm confused and don't understand what you're getting at here, but if I understand correctly, you'd rather an announcer facilitate the chant than it be started organically from the fans? I hope not! If so, I'm curious as to why.

16. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a guy in section 104, who routinely starts the Earth Quake chant. I think his name is Sean. He is like KG in many ways, non threatening, odd (he wears a jester hat) and he interacts really well with the crowd. I approached the front Office last year about helping him to keep up his great work, maybe by comping his tickets or something.

17. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the point is that the Announcer instead of telling everyone to 'scream loud for Hamburgers," can instead say "Time to welcome our boys back to the pitch" We'll know what to do, as will everyone else after the first couple of times.

By the way, what do you mean when you use the term "organic"? I hear that all the time, and it doesn't really make any sense to me when used to describe atmosphere at a sporting event.

18. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Organic" applied here means grass roots I think. It grows as nature intends out of the fan base itself instead of someone paid and working for the team inciting or leading it.

19. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the only determiner of "organic" is,
    Then the Earth---Quake cheer does not qualify as it was invented by a paid performer, who drilled it into the souls of the fan base and lead them in it's use. It's presence at the game today is solely because of that paid employee of the team. You cannot separate it from it's origins, it is not organic and never has been.

20. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can separate it from it origins. It's about how it arises in the specific game.

21. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh...sorry...I also misunderstood that the organic part was about the lettuce, onion and beef of an In-n-Out burger.

Will pick up some organic AAA batteries at Whole Food after work.

22. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Sean, the guy in the Jester hat starts the chant, it's "organic" but if the Quakes comp his tickets to start the chant it's no longer "organic" ?

If that's the case I don't really care if it's "organic" or not because there is absolutely no difference to the fans and the atmosphere is no better or worse off because of it.

23. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I don't want to dissect a metaphorically used word. I thought your question was legit and I tried to answer it. I wasn't trying to make a point or start an argument.

24. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a fine line isn't it. Paid cheerleaders aren't organic especially if everybody knows he's on the payroll.

25. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a legitimate question, because it's a term that is routinely tossed about and given some mythical importance as it relates to what goes on in the stadium.

Perhaps the word should not be used metaphorically in this instance since it has no correlation to it's use. "Organic" atmosphere is meaningless unless you can define it. Your definition was fine, but it didn't really apply to the situation at hand.