In Honesty MLS is getting boring

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by austinwetherby, Apr 9, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wasn't Stryper a Christian Rock Band? And weren't they trying to promote Jesus while still paying homage to the devil? lol lol lol

2. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Being attacked minded and converting are two different things. So the Doc has a point, USL does seem the more attacking minded league. MLS teams with the possible exception of Seattle this year and Cbus last year pretty much just go thru the motions and goals seem to come by default.

3. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    MLS for the most part is insignificant to me. To have a chip on my shoulder about something I'd have to care enough about it in the first hand. I don't.

Well last year no team scored more goals than the Islanders in their league. That means they're an attacking in their league as well.

Yes but it's not a big difference.

You're missing the entire point. Stats will not tell you everything about a team's style. Besides what COSMOS already said, let's take for example a team defends the entire match but manages to score a few goals off the counter attack. The "stats" will say that the team scored 2 goals for example, but if they mostly defended before getting those goals they clearly aren't an attacking team.

And I stand by that. I'm no MLS expert by any means but like I said I've watched my fair share of matches. I'm pretty sure you're not a USL expert either.

At least they're not trying to mimic European team names somehow trying to gain respectability. I mean "Real Salt Lake"? Do they even know where the "Real" comes from?

4. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Maryland? Richmond Kickers? ....yeah..really inspired...

Look...I like both leagues...I think they both have their pros and cons.
    I'm just curious why people who have nothing to do with FCNY, are arguing about this in our forum. Can we move this thread please?

5. Corwin_of_Amber

Corwin_of_Amber New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Austin
    I also suspect if you perused the lineups in the matches you'll find that the MLS teams had a majority of their starters out.

6. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal had the largest attendance with 55,000, of both franchises

7. Corwin_of_Amber

Corwin_of_Amber New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Austin
    The thread starter was putting down MLS.

I like both leagues as well. I don't get why many usl fans punk MLS. Then, when they are asked for reasons, the reasons really don't hold up to close inspection.

I guess I just don't get the reason for hating one over the other. Yes, love both. Yes, love one and ignore the other. But, hating one I just don't get.

8. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I guess its not the hating, its just that USL doesn't get the recognition and respect that it deserves.. They always say USL is the second division, I think its safe to say that the US has two professional leagues. People say that USL is second division for the same reason, why USLers don't like MLS... Its not hate, its just that one is in a position that I feel it shouldn't be in.. USL has the single table, the more common and true way to play futbol, and not to mention the different kit sponsors which makes it a real league, while the MLS are in the wrong state of mind when it comes to soccer with the Draft, conferences, adidas contract, Designated player rules, its just that MLS doesn't make sense to me. Dont get me wrong, I watch MLS and I think there is room to grow for it but with the silly rules that restrict it from being a normal world class league, is what has me fustrated. USL has all the ingredients to become a big league, bigger than MLS, just need the recognition and tv time to get there..

Another thing that gets to me is that international dominance is what makes a league credible, USL has more respect for international competition while MLS puts out its reserves and seem to not put their heart into it, they seem to think that MLS season is the only thing to play for, when its not.. The CCL is 10 to 20 times more important than the MLS season. in Europe what game is more important to Manchester? Champions League match or weekend EPL match against Wigan? Which team would you put out there in the CCL? obviously the best.. and MLS doesn't think like that...

9. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with mostly everything you said, The CCL is not that much more important, I would say 5 times more important. Lol

10. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really depends on how you look at it. I was speaking more to their usage of black and yellow stripes than pretty much anything else they stand/stood for.

THE 1986 CHARLESTON BATTERY KIT REVEAL!

[​IMG]

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a New York forum thread. That's pretty much the main reason, they can shit on whatever they like.

12. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the point is..none of the FCNY fans or the Borough Boys hate MLS....
    because that's where we want to be eventually...
    so This thread doesn't represent the fanbase, which is why it needs to be
    moved.

13. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm a New Yorker, born and raised. I don't shit on anyone for the hell of it. While we might be an opinionated bunch and might enjoy more choices and options than most, that doesn't mean we choose to shit on anyone.

Love from NY.

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Cosmos, come now... I didn't say you were the type TO do so, I was just saying it is your forum and you can.

15. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

OK OK, just saying, but I've got my eye on you! :cool:

Just kidding! lol

16. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched some MLS this week and holy crap, it was terrible football, I prefer a Cleveland v Miami match over Galaxy v Chivas match. Why would FC New York even want to go in the MLS and btw spend 40 million dollars to get into the league. Stay in the USL FC New York.

17. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that!! finally someone see my view of the USL better than MLS:D

18. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think USL is more balanced. Don't get me wrong, some games are just painful. Take Austin v. Vancouver last night as an example. we see lots of terrible football, but when USL is on it's ON and can be quite fun to watch often more fun than MLS.

19. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We want MLS simply because it's simply it's technically the highest level of soccer in the US. Not to knock USL, because i think it's a great league, but I'd really like to see a marriage of sorts from USL and MLS in the future.

20. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Absolutely agreed, Brandon.

21. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I like soccer, period. I'll watch MLS, and I'd watch USL if it was on TV (I don't have FSC), or if I could use USL Live without blowing out my quota on my internet card (can you?). Anyhoo, I'm glad NY is getting a team in USL, just as I'd be glad if they got one in MLS (hey, I'm being nice to you guys; remember that, please, when we talk about Atlanta :D). I've seen good MLS games, horrible USL games, and vice versa. Single table and all that stuff doesn't bother me (but I do think divisions/conferences work best for the US), although I wish 2/3 of the league didn't make the playoffs.

22. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well watch your fellow Miamians, on FSC on friday night, if you dont have FSC go to (justin. tv) and type in Miami FC.... Maybe you'll the crazy supporter group Souther Legion!!! go MIami FC!! cant wait till you guys are in the league, a new Miami NY rivalry.. yea!!

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is NO RIVALRY. How can you possibly imagine the father (ny) beating up his very own son (miami). It would be heart brekaing to watch. I think that everyone will agree with me. lol lol Aguante NY C A R A J O !!!! :D

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007