In-Game/Play-by-Play Thread: 8/23 USOC v FCD [R]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Aug 23, 2006.

1. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
  2. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0...................................
    Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

3. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    '61--------
    WONDO ! GOAL! De-Ro assist

4. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the problem they can't.

5. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    We Hate Dallas!
    We Hate Dallas!
    We Hate Dallas!

6. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Reserves 3-0 FC Dallas

7. SokkerNut

SokkerNut Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected a really close game. I never thought it would be a 3-0 game.

8. BigLance

BigLance New Member

May 22, 2006
    Conroe
    Looking ahead.. Rapids up 1-0 in 6th.. Mathis goal at 3"

9. SokkerNut

SokkerNut Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sssssssswwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeetttttttt

10. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats..............we sucked! :mad:

11. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You always do.

12. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    I was at the game last night and thought I'd provide a few observations:
    • The Texian Army, as usual, sounded great. They were right behind the north-side goal and were loud, boisterous and funny all night. Props to all you guys. Was Sala messing with you guys at half time?
    • Carlos Ruiz, as usual, was a cheating, diving, crying hack. And the Houston D, especially MOTM Eddie Robinson, shut him down. I think FC Dallas had only one legit shot on goal all night, a header which Onstad calmly collected off the head of Ruiz (although it might have been Cooper). The rest of Dallas' chances were speculative drives from well outside the penalty box.
    • Ronnie O'Brien did not look like the player he used to be. Maybe it was because Barrett was playing in midfield, not defense, but O'Brien really didn't do too much all night and commited some fouls out of obvious frustration.
    • Stuart Holden, while not as good as Brian Mullan, had a nice game on the right wing. He took some guys off the dribble and tracked back on D. I think his whole family was sitting near me in the stands.
    • Moreno is so frustrating. Whenever he tried to dribble at the Dallas defense, he would lose the ball. When he did win a ball in their half, he invariable dribbled back toward the Dynamo goal -- maintaining possession but stalling the Houston attack. But then he somehow snuck behind the Dallas defenders on Onstad's punt and poked the ball into the net. That goal really broke Dallas' spirit. And I have to give Moreno props for taking all kinds of pushing and other cheap shots from the Dallas players for 90 minutes but just dusting himsef off and going back for more.
    • Davis did OK in the a-mid position, but he's no DeRo. Still, I was glad to see him running the offense with several rookies around him (Holden and Wondolowski). And he did assist on the opening goal.
    • For some reason, both teams got to use 4 subs. Are the sub rules different for US Open Cup games? Or did the ref lose count?

All in all a fantastic night. We had a beautiful view of the downtown skyline from the seats (which were totally full) and beat FC Dallas without four of our best players (Ching, DeRo - who came into the game late in the 2nd half, Clark, Mullan), while they played with their full-strength lineup. I hope this is a good omen for the playoffs.