In France, are there any opinions towards any clubs

Discussion in 'France: Clubs' started by Aztattooedsean777, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am not talking about supporters of one club such as Marseille disliking PSG for example.

Are there any stereotypical views or opinions held by the General French football fan towards any clubs?

For example, does the average person dislike PSG now due to their new found middle eastern wealth?

Is Marseille highly hated by most people minus their own support base?

Is there a club known for having a reputation for whining alot when the results don't go their way similar to how Wenger always seems to complain when Arsenal lose?

Those are just random examples. I am just curious if there are certain things people think when it comes to any particular club good or bad wise that someone outside of France might not hear about.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yes it seems PSG is disliked now. Ive seen people refer to them as "QSG". Not me though, I do not dislike them and hope they do well.I dont know how hated OM is. I used to like them but I really don't anymore because the dysfunction over there never seems to end and its a fustrating club to support. Monaco is definately hated. Ive seen people complain about their tax advantages and say they should play in Italy or that they shouldnt even exsist. Yes Lyon is knowing for whining alot when their owner is complaining about the referees. The Corsican clubs are known for having violent, racist fans.

3. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    PSG has pretty much always been disliked but now with the new owners the haters are alot more vocal/present which isn't surprising

4. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Corsican clubs?? Who are they?

Oh so Lyon's owner complains? I had also heard that Lille's coach did as well but then again that might be just one of the various clubs who sometimes complain that there isn't enough time off between matches and the european matches although that is something that everyone has to deal with.

5. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    thanks for any type of information!:thumbsup:

6. fatfan-labamba

Dec 14, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Your post has given me a lot of insight into french football, which I know no very little of and don't get much exposure to because its isn't covered much where I stay. Thanks for that.

I assume its the fans of opposition clubs that now feel more hatred towards PSG, but what about PSG fans are they happy with the new owners and the the changes at the club?

7. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I am curious. I had a feeling other teams supporters would dislike PSG especially after their new wealth but how do their own supporters feel? I know the atmosphere is different at the stadium since they banned some of their various ultra groups for wasn't it fighting amongst each other? Anything you may provide would be very helpful.

Thankfully Cox Cable has added BeIn sports channel so I get to see more French Ligue 1 matches as it and Univision Deportes televises league matches.

8. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have seen a few matches as well as various video clips but does ASSE regularly have good atmosphere from it's main ultra supporters?

9. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #10 Tsigalko, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Yea, now that PSG ultras has been largely wiped from the stadium (though to be fair that action was taken before the new owners) I'd say ASSE has perhaps the best atmosphere in L1 (though only cause the ambiance at Marseille is suffering a little bit due to one stand being closed for renovations ;P). Unfortunately the french government has launched an attack on ultras group and away fan travel to rid the game of violence. and in french tradition, rather than trying to find a nuance approach they are going at the problem with a sledgehammer. With the euro 2016 coming there seem to be more Hard-line approach. So even though PSG's fans have been the biggest causality Lyon, Nice, Marseille, Bordeaux, ASSE groups are also under attack (and Bastia the club and fans are always under attack for a variety of reasons) or have been dissolved (some perhaps deserved but usually a small bad minority gets everyone banned)

The good old days at the Parc, who even an OM fan can feel nostalgic for, starting at 2:40

Bastia Ultras supporting the team outside the stadium after being forced to play against Marseille without any fans:

SportBoy333 repped this.
  10. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #11 Aztattooedsean777, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    Very cool, thanks!! I am trying to learn as much about Ligue 1, atmosphere, rivalries/derbys, and anything else I can find out. I would like to get to 2 or 3 stadiums for matches just before or just after Euro2016 when all the new stadiums are being used and all the other stadiums being renovated are all completed. I will say I look forward to see Marseille playing in front of full home matches again.

How you say France is going about going against the ultras seems similar to how they are fixing the issues at my place of work, don't just go after those doing wrong... punish everyone.

Does RC Lens still have good atmospheres?

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    One of the best in France. I dont know where I'd rank them but they are top 5 and maybe top 3 now that PSG ultras were removed. (Marseille, Lens, St. Etienne) top 3, any order you want to put them. Top 5 maybe add Bastia and Nantes I guess.