In Demand Cutting Shootout Package Back

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Dixie Blue, Aug 31, 2002.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The process was going before any of us got into it.

2. Threatening a lawsuit would not have sped up the process. People actually involved in the process have told me this.

3. Re-read this last post. Did I say you wanted to sue?

4. You're the one who is so threatened by my information that you call me a telemarketr and an INdemand insider on the crew boards. Why don't you go back, look at the list of things I have posted and realize what's going on.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I actually have no idea one way or the other. I'm just saying I don't know what was promised.

I didn't have the plan last year, but this year as you know, the price was drastically reduced and it was very unclear to me what games I would be getting, weekday, playoffs, etc. I thought the reduced price was related to the fact that how many games we were getting was unclear. Wouldn't the different price and different set of circumstances effect comparisons to last year? Also, is there industry custom since all three providers are offering different games?

3. Legal Beagle

Legal Beagle New Member

Jun 17, 2000
    yes, you're right ... these facts would bear on the question of what expectations were "reasonable."

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you still haven't figured out the realitty so my job isn't done.

And thanks for the congratulations. I seem to be one of the few who knows how to get real information on this matter. I prefer to deal in that realm rather than your hypotheticals that don't even touch on reality.

Sure, sue TW. They will say it's INDemand's fault. iNDemand will blame HITS. HITS will say iNDemand is to blame. The judge will ask what was promised. "Out of market games," iNDemand says. You say "They said all." Not so fast, it was MLS who said all. MLS says that's what iNDemand told us. iNDemand says "We wanted to but HITS screwed us." HITS says "InDemand screwed us."

The judge says "How many games were missed?"

"Two out of 120."

Dismissed. Goodbye. You got your package. And I don't need to even go to class to know that.

Maybe, maybe, maybe if you show me one thing produced by iNDemand saying "all" the games, you might convince me. But it doesn't exist as far as we know.

5. Legal Beagle

Legal Beagle New Member

Jun 17, 2000
    We've pretty much talked this one into the ground, don't you think? I'm satisfied to let your comments rest on their own merit, without further comment.

Thanks for playing. :)

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    We're done already? I thought we were just gearing up for round 2.

Even though I strongly disagree with a lawsuit, I can see the appeal. It sucks being the red headed step-child of the U.S. sports world all the time. Maybe you could find a law that lets us sue ESPN for interupting soccer games with press conferences about what Michael Jordan had for breakfast.

7. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I really don't want to continue this debate much longer but :)

IF it was an MLS promise for "all" games, then one would sue MLS. MLS would then want to bring in INDemand if it relied on InDemand's statements in creating the "all games" advertising. Obviously this gets really tricky because the seller as explained in all DTPA laws would probably be your local cable company. So it is a mess to figure out how to get everyone in court. But it can be done. Just have to play some musical chairs.

Regardless, the point of 2 games out of 120 or however many are offered is a good point. The damages are small, and have always been small. I don't think myself, the Beagle or anyone else has disputed it. However, because one might be able to get class action status out of this type of case, there might be enough financial incentive with the statutory attorney's fees and treble damages for an attorney to take the case.

I know I should just let this one die already.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so i haven't followed everything in this thread, but i checked the guide for this weekend, and the ONLY game they showed as being on the shootout package this weekend was the Quakes v. Galaxy on saturday night at 8pm pdt. that's great: i definitely want to see that game. but what about the crew v. fire, etc.? are they not being shown at all?

sorry if i missed this info before somewhere amidst the lawsuit talk.

9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Flash - Check out the Indemand e-mail thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12742

Indemand has said they will show all the games either live or delayed and that the schedules will be posted some time on Thursday.

10. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    sorry if this has been answered, but i only have a little time before class starts so.... will the shootout package be showing playoff games? if so, how many? i don't have the package yet as i just moved, but if they are going to show a good amount of playoff games i'd be interested in getting the package. thanks

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I don't know for sure, unless someone else can answer, you might e-mail MLS to see if they know.

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    before all the recent shenanigans, they were supposed to show playoff games. at least they did last year...just about all of them. it was great.

if they don't show 'em this year i'll be one pissed hombre.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    iNDemand's website has been updated with the schedule for Saturday. However I just called AT&T and they have no knowledge of the update. I urge everyone who is a MLS Shootout subscriber on AT&T to call them (The number on my bill is 1-877-824-2288) and ask them to confirm the schedule for the MLS Shootout this Saturday. Here's what it should be:

Saturday Night (ET):
    ES01 7:30PM MLS SHOOTOUT 2002 #132
    ES04 10:00PM MLS SHOOTOUT 2002 #133
    ES02 11:00PM MLS SHOOTOUT 2002 #131
    ES01 11:00PM MLS SHOOTOUT 2002 #135

Sunday Morning (ET):
    ES03 12:00AM MLS SHOOTOUT 2002 #134

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I get as well. Only two tape-delayed games because the KC game is being broadcast on a tape-delay already.

15. Adrian

Adrian Member

Columbus Crew
    England
    May 9, 1999
    Plain City, OH, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you plan to use that when you get nailed by your legal adversaries too? I think the judge would find you in contempt.

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to Cox as of 8 last night. They also have no knowledge of any updated schedule. All my guide shows - and all they knew about - was the Quakes v. Galaxy game at 8pm pdt.

Don't know if I will have time to call them again today. My phone call yesterday lasted close to an hour trying to get to the bottom of all this mess. They were very friendly, but of course no one knew what they were doing. :rolleyes:

Hopefully it'll show up on the schedule/guide today.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just blows. It is updated on iNDemand's site and on my on-screen guide and you're cable company should know because mine e-mailed me to let me know of the changes.

18. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    It's not on TW's tv guide....college football and some blackouts are listed.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dan.novak@cox.com - VP of programming at Cox San Diego if you hadn't rattled his cage before.

20. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    TW hasn't got their guide updated. Crew is on live 7:30 Ch. 631

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Since we went through this kind of thing before, I would send multiple e-mails to INdemand letting them know your cable provider is clueless. They'll know who to contact to get quicker results. I'd do it ASAP.

22. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Exactly...you'd think they would be memo'd at least. I was holding with this guy for 10 minutes while he and his supervisor couldn't figure it out. They kept telling me it was on Fox Ohio...tht's baseball however...I had to tell them that. Very weird with all that's happened they don't know we have games tomorrow.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Same thing happened when the Shootout first started. There was definitely a disconnect between Indemand and the Cable providers. IIRC, writing Indemand got the quickest results.

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I just rattled his cage.

I'll look back over this thread for InDemand's email address when I get the chance.

Too mcuh work today.

Frustrating.

Grrrr.

25. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrote to InDemand as well. We'll see.