In David We Trust - the de Gea Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Numquam Moribimur, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Eric Steele

Futbol_Head repped this.
  2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Johno

johno and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1878 Ashur, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Dave for me was at his best when he was under Franz Hoek's (the gk coach under van Gaal) tutelage: was already good when he arrived after the work Steele did but he literally took his game to the next level, which made him absolutely sick. He had even improved his kicking game to a decent level, which for some reason has gone completely backwards since.
    Also, his issues easily predate Maguire's arrival (can easily be traced back as a matter of fact to the WC in Russia). Just as Williams provided the necessary kick in the ass Shaw needed to raise his game, the same is required for De Gea in all likelihood. Probably unconscious but he's skating right now with the knowledge that Ole will back him almost no matter what.
    Whether it's from Henderson or Romero, he has to understand that his place will not necessarily be guaranteed if he keeps making mistakes.
    He's made his share in the last 2yrs, with no consequence. That can not go on and Ole has to get tough with him by making him understand that he's his guy and he still backs him but continued mistakes will not be tolerated.
    Probably should be enough to see him get his focus and form back, imo.

4. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ded :ROFLMAO:

johno repped this.
  5. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm not convinced by Pope. He's 28 and has had one good year.

6. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Sure, but 2 good years not one.

7. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    He was ok this year, he slightly underperformed his xG.

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I read it all. I think Pope is a very good keeper. But not good enough with his feet in our set up.

Were not going to find an A class all around keeper. Were going to have to sacrifice a little bit like City with Ederson.

9. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting GK prospects I was not familiar with until doing a bit of searching today:

Maignan - Lille
    Rajkovic - Reims
    Musso - Udinese

Anyone familiar with these guys?

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bosnich backs Dave to recover his form.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-manchester-united-mistakes-says-mark-bosnich

He certainly still has plenty of support apparently with Scholes relaying a similar message as well. Keane is really the only one who appears to beating the drum for getting rid of him.
    Not sure how anyway, with his contract. The nature of it should earn him one final chance next season. Still won't be much easier to move him in a years' time (especially if he doesn't straighten out) but it's something that can be considered then.

11. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    "Save percentage: During these 14 matches, United's save percentage was 83.3%: 42 shots-on-goal against, 35 saves. Keeper David De Gea has had some shaky moments here and there, but that's an outstanding rate. Too outstanding, actually. Over the past four years, only 11 Big Five teams have hit even 77% for the season. Those 11 either a) had Jan Oblak as their goalkeeper (Atletico Madrid three times) or b) saw their save percentage fall the next season, often by a large margin."

Anonymous_United repped this.
  12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1887 JamesA, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Honestly, I think there is good a chance we can get a 90% peak DDG as there is similar risk to a new recruit succeeding to the same level.

I'd take a 90% peak DDG all day, everyday.

I wouldn't toss him aside yet.

He possibly needs a coach change and some pressure on his job.

13. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I dont trust Henderson, DeGea should be nr 1 for next season.

14. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    DDG's bad season was still decent by PL standards. His PSxG +/- (expected goals based on shots on target minus goals allowed) was +2.7 this season. For comparison, in 2017-18 it was +12. Kepa was at -9 this season.
    Ederson's +3, Alisson is +2.4, Henderson is +6.

Replacing DDG is far from being a priority at this stage.

jnielsen and johno repped this.
  15. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I agree with your final statement but that PSxG is exactly DDG's strength. He is quite a bit worse than Ederson and Alisson on other facet of the game.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

johno repped this.
  16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dave carried the team for a number of years and the minute he makes a few mistakes people are ready to cast him aside. Yes it wasn't vintage Dave at times last year but he has earned his spot and we need to have faith in him.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Pope is a good shout and likely to develop into something special, but I don't know if he could cope with the atmostphere at United. I agree that Henderson isn't quite the finished article, but he was top of the league for saves above post shot xG. He aint a great distributor, but he's an elite shot stopper. He might be DDG mark 2. We sucked at picking keepers for a long long time and then we managed to grab VDS, DDG, Romero and Henderson. By all accounts Kovar is a special talent as well, in the academy.

EDIT: I had this reply typed and forgot to hit submit and fell asleep, lots of stuff in here. I think 28 for GK is 23 for outfield players. I wouldn't write off growth for a GK until they hit 29/30.

18. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Henderson was not top of the league in shot stopping. I literally pasted the link 2 posts earlier :)

He was 6th, DDG was 11th.

19. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    John knows more than you. Leave us, again.

cr7torossi repped this.
  20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Potentially drawing data from 2 different collectors/aggregators. The statsbomb folks were saying for PS xG Hendo was top of the league. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

21. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Fbref pulls their data from statsbomb and they have him 6th.

They have Pope 31st, so I’m confused why cr7 thinks he’s a better option than Henderson.

22. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I think it was the Tifo podcast I listened to, that was really interesting on Burnley. It said that the way they set up is to encourage sides to shoot on goal. But they do it by creating, within their defensive, stand-off positioning in the 4-4-2, a V-shaped tunnel between the ball and the goal, so that any shot at goal goes straight to Pope. Anything with an angle on it is likely to be blocked by the walls of the tunnel. So Pope saves a lot of shots, and Burnley concede a lot of shots, but the overall post-shot xG is low because most of them are shepherded down Pope's throat.

johno and jnielsen repped this.
  23. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I was referring to PSxG+/-. Pope was -2.3, which means gave up 2.3 more goals than expected. Henderson was +4.6 and de Gea was +2.5.

johno and jnielsen repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude was so special back then: still holding out hope he can come back.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess now we find out what Dave is really made of. With Henderson having signed a new contract and apparently staying with the team this coming season, will he rise to the challenge or will he fold?