In David We Trust - the de Gea Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Numquam Moribimur, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dudes, no doubt it was a save you'd expect De Gea to make but let's be fair -- the shot was taken 8 yards for the goal line. There is no goal keeper on the planet who hasn't been beaten from that distance. It was struck powerfully by a player who had a clean look on goal...from 8 yards out.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I dont think he will recover.

Has there been any top class keeper, who suddenly (and drastically) fell out of form for 18 months, then went back to normal?

Once keepers are gone, they are gone.

Look at Neuer. Before him, look at Casillas. No that I think Joe Hart was ever top class, but his base level is far better than what he's been playing since his last full year at City.

3. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think calling it 18 months is an inaccurate portrayal of his form the first half of last season. He was obviously poor in the WC for Spain, but the statistical systems still really rated his performance excellently through most of last season and certainly all the talk up until March or April (seriously go back and read the comments in this thread - only mild criticisms from anytime prior to that were related to distribution) was about problems in the defense leading to our issues with conceding.

It was only once he had his real hiccup towards the end of last year that there started to be some revisionism about his form for the first part of last year. It wasn't the best period he's ever had here but it wasn't anywhere close to what we've seen recently and so trying to form it to a coherent narrative isn't so simple in my eyes. I think it's right to be concerned but we don't need to exaggerate the size of the problem to justify it.

incighte and Chaz Striker repped this.
  4. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He's been poor with Spain since before the world cup up until he had been dropped.

If were ignoring international form, i apologize.

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I don't remember him ever being great with Spain

jnielsen, Red Jeph and incighte repped this.
  6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    True, but his form got worse, so he finally got benched.

Anyhow, I want to believe he will recover, but its hard to see at the moment.

7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I tend to lean toward it being mostly mental. I think if he signs, he'll recover form, or if he goes in 4-9 months, he'll recover form for whomever he's playing with.

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd say hes been poor for like 6-8 months. The poor form for Spain was happening at the same time where we was world class for us. But yes, this is getting to be a worry. You usually dont see this sharp of a decline in a world class player.

This puts us in a rough spot regarding his contract. If the deal isnt already signed like some rumors suggest, then this puts us in a bad spot. He's still going to expect to be paid like the world best keeper. If we think this is a blip and he'll regain form, than giving him a new contract is a no-brainer. But if we think this is the start of his decline, we're in deep shit. Its too late to get anything from him and if we extend just to sell then we're rolling the dice.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    He was bad at Euro 2016, too

10. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can’t wait for the comparisons with Massimo Taibi.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is being reported by Castles that De Gea has signed a five year (four years + option for an extra year) contract renewal worth €15m per year, making him United’s best paid player.
    Guessing if it is legitimate news, it ought to be confirmed elsewhere in fairly short order. Would be nice though if that story could be put to bed once and for all.

14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    And hopefully with extension DeGea can concentrate on gettimg his old form back ..

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good as he is, if they have given him a contract greater than Sanchez pay (ie ‘made him our best paid player’ given Sanchez still our player) then they are just plain dumb and have learned nothing.

benni... repped this.
  16. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They've boxed themselves into a corner now by letting him run his contract all the way down. In just a few months he can sign a pre-contract to leave on a free where he's sure to get mega wages regardless of his recent form. So at this point the only way to resign him is to pay wages that are roughly equivalent to what he'd earn on a free, rather than a standard raise.

The only other choice is to be prepared to let him walk in which case you will have to either pay handsomely to replace or be willing to go with Romero and/or Henderson. If the former then you may as well just splash the money on De Gea. The latter is maybe a viable option but it would be a pretty massive risk. More bad asset management of the kind we've become very accustomed to.

Drae repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Provided that Castles's report is accurate, Dave is looking at a weekly compensation of €290k. That's a figure that puts him on par with Pogba, as the highest earner at the club, but still short of the close to £400k/wk Sanchez was making.
    Plus, it's a reasonable bet to believe there are no ridiculous appearance fees (like the £75k Sanchez made everytime he was selected). As noted, this is a situation that the club that the club has created for itself, but Dave and Mendes have maneuvered the situation perfectly, by the looks of it, to get to this position and ultimately get what he wanted.
    His recent form may make this deal a possible risk, but I still believe it's a small one, given my confidence that he will be back to his best once this contract issue has been settled.
    The price for a top echelon gk nowadays is exorbitant: bringing in a ready made replacement of the same caliber would cost €80mil, at a minimum. Under those circumstances, paying Dave what he probably feels he deserves, is not the worst thing.

United 16 repped this.
  18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is the Duncan Castles story and it has a key word you missed - ‘net’.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/david-de-gea-signs-manchester-20058750

“De Gea's improved five-year deal is worth over €15million net per season, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.”

Top rate tax here being 45% that would put him on Sanchez type money and would explain why the article claims he would become our best paid player.

But then it is only Castles - so we will have to wait and see.

Also there are no ‘reasonable bets’ where Woody & Judge are concerned :)

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49692107

Doesn't appear like a deal has been reached, yet. Or perhaps, although unlikely, Castles knows something that Stone doesn't.
    Keeping our fingers crossed though as with each passing day this situation goes unresolved, there is cause to be nervous (with the thought that Dave just could be stringing everyone along until February).

20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The only way to prevent this is to sell the player 2 years out

21. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Suspected as much when I saw him make that two saves last week. [emoji9]

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1772 Ashur, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    does anyone else think this is a "protecting his value" move and he will still leave shortly?

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nah. I bet he stays. Madrid and Barca are set. The only tempting club at this point would be Juve and hes really only made a fuss about wanting to leave when Madrid were an option.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    No, I didnt look at it like this tbh. His value is as low as its ever gonna be, considering his form. Also at the moment, where could he go besides PSG?