In contrast: Should we assume Spector is in?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AngelaMerkin, Apr 14, 2006.

1. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    With quality outings in his past streak of starts for Charlton and neither Albright or Hejduk putting in "I'm on the team" performances... Does Spector get the go ahead?

In my vote, yes. Versatility is going to be something needed. Remember the sorry list of players we'd have had starting against South Korea had we beat Germany?

The reason Spector goes is because he can play centrally in defense where Albright and Hejduk cannot.

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Definitely maybe.

All three have their strengths and weaknesses.

Hedjuk does seem to be backing in at best. Albright I think had a better game vs Jamaica then you are giving him credit for.

It's gonna be a close call for all three.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the Jamaica game again, and despite getting toasted that time in the first half, I'd agree that Albright did not do too badly. Frankie, on the other hand, got beaten on the goal, made several other less disastrous (but potentially just as bad--got beaten on a header in the box, for one) marking mistakes, and might very easily have put us a man down with his wild-ass challenges in midfield, had the ref not been out to lunch.

At this point, I think Spector is making the strongest case for himself, however, as the most solid defender of the three.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Couldn't we also say that two of the three will go?

Defenders: Eight probably will go

Four center backs

Four fullbacks: Cher and Lewis definitely. Then as backups probably two of Spector, Albright, and Hedjuk.

5. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Fair enough. Albright didn't make people go wild over his play. Neither did Spector in his last outing either.

IMO there's not necessarily that much separating the three, though I'm thinking that Hedjuk might be becoming the worst of the three.

7. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game and behind the goal we were defending in the first half. Albright's defending was woeful -- he was getting beaten on each Jamaica attack. My friend sitting beside me (who watches the World Cup, but hasn't watched many games lately) had these comments about the game: "Albright and Ching suck. That boy Dempsey can play, though."
    Here are the things I learned at the game:
    1) Mastroeni is not a center back.
    2) Dempsey is dominant at the CONCACAF level.
    3) O'Brien should go to the World Cup
    4) Noonan and Ralston don't have the speed to compete at this level
    5) Olsen might have written his ticket as player #23
    I just doubt that Spector will go -- he hasn't played enough games for the national team. I don't know, though: maybe he's this cycle's Mastroeni. I think it's more likely Hejduk will go. One bad game isn't going to kill his chances of going to Germany in my opinion.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    The problem is that the speed has fallen away from Frankie's game, even if the stamina is still there.

When it becomes evident on the field, he gets frustrated. When he gets frustrated, he makes bonehead plays.

Then we get to this team's eternal lack of height, and how Spector and Albright help with that situation (the way Sanneh did in 2002) and Frankie doesn't.

I do agree that Bruce will take 8 defenders.

There was talk of him taking 7 in order to take 9 midfielders, but at this point if he takes 9 midfielders it may be at the expense of one of our underperforming forwards.

9. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think if he plays enough games in the EPL than number of national team games played are irrevlevant. Jamaica vs. Spector playing against Middlesborough in the FA Cup. I have always loved Heduk but he is setting up to be the Agoos of 2006 and Bruce can prevent this by selecting a younger player with better experience, in a better league and he plays against better players day in and day out and is more prepared for the rigors of a WC run. Frankie biggest asset is his fitness and i would bet that spector could outrun him. touch, smarts etc.. not even close. we don't need any more good locker room guys,we have enough veterans and it's a shame to leave a more talented and versatile player at home

10. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    Dempsey does well against CONCACAF-level opponents, but not dominant.

11. Bjorn Taroque

Bjorn Taroque New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I agree with this statement. If Bruce were to judge anybody on the basis of the Jamaica game, I'm not sure anybody would go. Frankie won't be an Agoos, because he won't start.

Spector and Frankie bring very different things, I think. Spector is unproven at the USMNT level, and at best, provides a decent left back. I think Frankie's role in the WC would be different; he'll keep the locker room loose, he'll come on late on either side of the defense, to run all over the field and harass and disrupt, the strongest part of his game. He'll help protect a lead. He's not going to do much offensively, but Spector's not going to do that either.

I think that Frankie beats Albright as well. He's a better overall defender. Albright and Frankie might be about equal on the right, but Frankie's a lot better on the left, which means Frankie can come on wherever Bruce needs him late. Albright might be more of an offensive threat, but I doubt Bruce is planning on him doing much against the defenses he'll see in the WC. In other words, he'll take the better, more versatile overall defender over the weaker defender that also provides a little bit of offensive ability.

Spector's ability to play CB isn't relevant, because we're so deep at CB. It's good to have depth, but Spector won't play before Gooch, Gibbs, Pope, or Boca (the four I think are most likely to go).

I guess what this means is that I think Albright is the one competing against Spector, mainly because the roles they play are more similar. Of these two, I really don't know who the better option would be. I think I'd prefer Spector, but Arena's always seemed to like those UVA fellas.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Hejduk like a number of players is coming off injury and of course
    this is early days for his season.

As a dependable, experienced player the job is his to lose and unlike
    Josh Wolff his performances over the aggregate have not been
    mediocre.

Albright has been fine as a right back and on the right
    in a 3 man line--better than Spector who has looked
    lost at times in a Nats uni.

If we take 8 cds I'm thinking:

Starters: Lewis, Gibbs, Gooch, Dolo
    Bench: Hejduk, Pope, Boca, Albright

13. InnocentBystander

InnocentBystander New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Boston
    Good post, but I disagree with you on this claim. Central D might be our deepest position, but Bruce hasn't decided on the backups yet. The fact that Mastroeni played CB against Jamaica makes me think that Bruce is still looking for options there.

Or better yet, Bruce is looking for players who can play more than one position, where CB is one of those positions. Spector is that kind of player, as is Pablo.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

Defenders: I think Frankie is the proven commodity and gets the edge over Albright for the 7th spot. With the 8th spot down to Spector and Albright. Making a hard tackle agains Jamaican hacks (everyone does remember the history, right?) to let them know our guys aren't going to be choppen down all day w/out retaliation WAS a smart move. Frankie does nail people sometimes, but when have you seen it in a WC or big qualilfier? I can't think of one. He KNOWS the difference.

I like 9 in the midfield (or 8 if you want to count Donovan as a forward). This makes room for another DM (Olsen, Armas, KZ). And another attacking player (Ralston, Noonan, Adu????).

Forwards: I think Twellman may be in trouble. McB & EJ as target guys. Donovan and Wolff (who both can play a little mid) as the speed guys.

Just my .02.

15. DiscoWarrior11

Dec 27, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being that EJ is the fastest forward and is more likely to be paired with McBride and Twellman instead of Wolff, I'd say he's a speed guy. It's still down to Twellman vs. Ching.

However, as far as defenders are concerned, I'm worried that Spector won't get another chance (and can't get another chance in a nats jersey before the roster selection). I mean, I'm sure Bruce has been keeping his eye on him, but I just don't feel as comfortable because Spector hasn't been brought up. I know that Spector's been having a fine season at Charlton, but I think Hejduk is a lock and Albright would have to have had a dismal game against Jamaica. He was subpar but not dismal.

I think Spector is the first alternate in the back... but I definitely think he's better than Albright.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spector:

1) U20
    2) 3 caps
    3) Fewer than 20 starts at professional level

Has Bruce ever brought anybody like that to an important match?

Not Beasley. Beasley was 7 caps, maybe 60 MLS starts, and had been playing with the national team consistently in the spring. For example, he was on the squad for the European tour. Not Mastro. He had few caps but was older and had more professional experience. Plus, he was an emergency replacement because of injury.

I just don't see it. This ain't the Bruce I know.

17. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Well, listen to the US soccer.com podcast, Arena thought Albright did a solid job, which was really stunning on my part. I think he remember only the second half when Albright played his natural position instead of our the left and getting burned.

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    1. Are you using the tired argument that he was bad against Italy in the U20s? He had a bad game - so what? If we judged players forever based upon age competitions, Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley and Bobby Convey would be banned from the team forever after the U23 game against Mexico. He was coming off an injury and went up against a team that was better than us. It happens. Perhaps what you should focus on is the fact that the coach thought he was important enough to rush back from injury and break up the defense that had won the group.

2. It would have been much more than three caps had he been playing in MLS and available for the billion or so friendlies that the MLS guys get. We place such a huge emphasis on number of caps but it's really not that big of a deal. Three or four caps per year is about all that the world's top players normally get because of their club schedules.

3. By the time the WC rolls around he will have played in close to 30 regular season matches for Charlton this season after appearing in 8 for Manchester United last season. In addition, he started about 6/7 preseason matches for Charlton and played extensively in Manchester United's American tour two years ago (Munich/Celtic/etc). He was a Bradenton kid who has played in U17 championships, U20 Championships, Champions League, Premiership and USMNT games. His resume is about as good as they get in our player pool.

You can't compare Beasley or Mastroeni to Spector because quite honestly, Spector has accomplished so much more than they had at his age.

19. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more talent you have around you, the better the talented play. Spector can play at a high level and shows great promise. I like his distribution: quick decisions, body squared to the ball and hits the ball with accuracy and some zing on it. All the qualities you would expect from a ManU product.

Frankie is crap now. At his best, '02 WC, he was playing above himself with some inspired players around him. Let's leave it there and not watch him get himself skinned in Germany.

Albright is almost there. He's OK on the right and can make us better on corners with his size and striking abilities. He's better than the Hejduk but hardly polished like JS.

My last post on this. Spector and Onyewu are the brightest young players to emerge during this cycle....I'll let it go at that.

20. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Though his horrible misplay lead to Teafore Bennett's goal on Tuesday, we must remember than Hedjuk came back form injury. Still, that type of misplay should not happen aganist a team like that, it really shouldn't.

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    1) There is absolutely no basis to assume that JS is in. IT's difficult to think that someone who hasn't played in six months is somehow a locck. He's a good player with a bright future, but if hegoes, it wilbe a lastminute gut decision.

2) I don't understand the "Frankie is a lock" mentality.That assumption gained currency around here not from a game performance so much as a beep test. He played well in the January games,but that's not necessarily saying a lot, as we saw with Conrad. He gotbenched last year in the Gold Cup forpoor play. SO I think he nees to be sharper than he was.

3) Doesn't matter what people here think of Albright's game nearly as much as what Bruce thought of it,and Arena said he played extremely well. That's all that matters.

22. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Spector can play anywhere on the backline maybe even d-mid. Spector has a great thrown in weapon. Plus Spector and Albright can actually be a threat on set pieces and defend set pieces (especially corners) where Hedjuk is a liability. His size cancels out him as an option on O and his slight frame sees him easily outmuscled at both ends. How important will set pieces be at the WC?

23. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Ask Eddie Lewis and Brad Friedel

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been playing more than that and will be finishing the season playing RB for Charlton.

25. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    You mean Cher the former singers Sony and Cher ? :D