Rumor: In Carr We Trust -Transfers-

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Apr 9, 2012.

1. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douglas?

Thought he was out of contract but evidently they hold an option? Who knows. 4m would be a pretty good buy IMO.

2. ZoomVT

ZoomVT Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Vermont
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I was wondering when it would be a good time to talk about possible transfers. i read an article where they quote Pardew talking about 2-3 in or 4-5 if we get into europe.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    And outgoing as well.

Got to think someone is going to come in for both Ba and Tiote, especially if there's get-out clauses.

We can certainly afford to lose the two of them the way the team is playing without them right now, however we definitely don't have decent cover at forward to fight a European battle. And who do you really replace Tiote with?

Thx,

Jay!

4. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will have to wait and see how we finish in the league, I think. If we finish in the CL places I can't think that we'd really have many guys jumping ship other than fringe players. Little sense in Tiote leaving for Chelsea if they're not in Europe and we are, for instance.

5. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to quote this. Your lips to the soccer gods' ears and all that ...

6. supersewelly

supersewelly Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    If anybody goes we're getting Carroll style fee again. Except for Ba maybe, but still.

Stop worrying, we're on the up now so lets enjoy it.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I was watching the Wigan/ManU match post-game and Warren Barton said he wants Demsey to come to Newcastle in the summer.

Obviously, he said it with a smile, but it would be nice.

8. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would take a major break in philosophy to make it happen.

Some internet reports out of Holland are suggesting the Douglas deal is essentially done but it wouldn't happen until near the end of the window. He wants to apply for Dutch citizenship so he can play for the Oranje, but he has to be in Holland for five years and that won't happen until August.

9. Killakakam

Killakakam Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2127927/Arsenal-close-Fulhams-Clint-Dempsey.html

"The former New England Revolution forward’s contract expires in the summer of 2013 and he is currently stalling over fresh terms with Fulham, with Newcastle and Liverpool also understood to be interested."

Would only need to happen if Demba Ba goes. If Ba does I would personally love to see Dempsey come to the Toon. But I am a little biased.

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The one thing I think we are lacking is a good dead ball man.
    Dempsey has some abilities in that area.

11. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Plus Ryan Taylor, so we do have some talent on free kicks.

Seems to me that Dempsey is leaving Fulham, I'd like to see him here too because he's a quality player, not sure it would happen because of his age and I'd imagine he's looking for his last fat contract.

12. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read over the last couple of days, in several places, how now that we have a working model of how to successfully run a club, we should change it for this or that reason (raise the wage cap, recruit over 26, etc). I think that would not be good. I like what we have done and are doing. I hope we don't screw it up.

That said, Clint is fantastic and as an american mag of course I want to see him in Toon. But, only if taking an older player on a free when his wages fit the program is a previously decided acceptable policy. Otherwise, not.
    And of course, we will probably never know what exactly the policy is.

I'm interested in the fate of danny Guthrie. I see him as at best an average player who can't push either Cabaye or Tiote for their spots. If we keep him, he robs Vukcic and Abied and even Gosling of playing time. So, I say let him go. Let the youngsters fight it out to be first to provide depth and bring in someone who if not better than Tiote/Cabaye can at least push them for their spots. That is making progress.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Clint sign with the club and considering he's a young 29 having only been a pro for 8 years he has some mileage left in the tank.

To be honest I think Arsenal have the inside track on him, and he wants Champion League football so that needs to be in place before anything could happen.

1 person likes this.
  14. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Guthrie is he isn't a pure defensive midfielder nor is he a pure attacking midfielder.

15. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ba stays, sadly we have no place for Dempsey. I have wanted him for years at Newcastle but for the first time in years, we have a great strike force that needs no other starting players.

On the other hand... if we got Dempsey the fun between Dirt and Yanks Abroad would liven things up.

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True although Ba may not want to continue playing on the left. I hope he stays and starts finding the goal again. I finally have some free time after all the life changes the last two years. Time to start troll .. ahem I mean sharing my thoughts with the internets.

17. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardew:
    “Maybe we’ll bring in one or two extra, but no more than that. And actually the funds for the Europa League don’t actually suggest you can do more than that. Unfortunately, that’s the way it’s been devised.

“We haven’t really got two teams at the moment, and I don’t suppose Tony thinks he has either.

“What you have to call upon is the young group in your squad, like the Vuckic, the Fergusons, the Sammy Ameobis next year, we’ll be leaning on them far greater than we have this year.”

From Footy Mad

Anyone know the actual financial impact of the Europa League?

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Funny you should ask:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/19/champions-league-uefa-europa-league?CMP=twt_gu

Liverpool and ManCity made €6m last season. Compared to the €30m (Arsenal, Tottenham), €45m (Chelsea), and €53m (ManU) made last season in the Champions League. Plus the home team gets to keep the gate. Matchday is potentially big for NUFC, but you still have to convince 45,000 to show up against Steau Bucharest and Shamrock Rovers.

It's essentially a break-even proposition unless you make the quarters, I would estimate.

Thx,

Jay!

19. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm reading the prize payouts right, even if we went undefeated through the Europa League in winning the trophy, we'd only net about 10 million. You make almost 8 just by making the CL group stage (when you factor in the payout per game).

In other more encouraging news: "My future is at Newcastle."

20. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackburn Down
    Notable because Hoilett probably moves.
    Right age, probably not too expensive.
    Adding Hoilett would replace Loven, and provide a stiker who is higher up the pecking order than Best and Shola, a good improvement to the front end team.
    It also would add a very sharp very quick left sided winger when we go 4-3-3.

21. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to "The Times", Madrid has had scouts watching Cisse ahead of a possible offer from them. Don't know how reliable this is but I'm really hoping this one goes no where.

22. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cisse is taking legal action against the Madrid "Come and Get Me" plea reports.

Also, can't see Hoilett. Blackburn will get decent compensation, and I'm pretty sure he wants big money.

23. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First signing seems to be on the way. Unsurprisingly, its another French lad.

It also seems that Forster is in talks to make his move to Celtic permanent, and we've agreed a fee (although can't imagine it will be much as there isn't a great deal of money in Scotland).

24. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors of Demba Ba going to Galatasaray are spreading on twitter. Personally I think it is a dumb move but if the transfer is actually 11 million pounds (or Euros depending on the "source") then it is a good deal for us.

25. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently we've scuttled that rumor, but I haven't seen a statement out there. If it's true then Demba really is just another mercenary, unfortunately. If not, well he still might be, but I'm kind of hoping he'd be different.