News: In bid to preserve Earthquakes stadium plan, San Jose agrees to revise land deal

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by pc4th, Apr 7, 2009.

1. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope your just kidding

2. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I hope you're kidding about not being able to tell the he's kidding.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    If you think those are jokes you have a twisted sense of humor and they will tell you, you need help.

4. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Make sure you get a roof Quakes !!

5. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    I'm not sure that the Quakes are anywhere close to being able to consistently sell out a 20k venue so I think Wolff and company are being pragmatic instead of just assuming that attendance at regular matches is suddenly going to double.

I've been saying this for years. The Bay Area is NOT a mature MLS market. YET. It's ok as far as a soccer market goes. It has a bigger than average pan-asian demographic ( not ideal) and is much more rooted in american football historically. The large Latino fanbase has not been won ever yet. It will be eventually. Really fantastic (predecessor) Earthquake teams from the past never got the kind of support they would have anywhere else. Part of that was due to management. Also, the Bay Area just has this big event mentality. So if Wolff is smart, he will keep the facility small but not cheap. Cover the stands, all seater ( except for his berm), suites, tight finish, pretty to look at. etc........ It will sell out consistently and create buzz, much like Pac Bell park did for the Giants for many years. Later on his successors can "finish" the open end of the facility.....

6. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bay Area compares to the NYC market vis a vis MLS.

Bay Area sports goes like this:

49ers & Raiders, Giants & A's, Warriors & Sharks, Cal & Stanford, High School, other.

MLS would be part of "other" mixed in with snow skiing and lacrosse and hunting and fishing. This is how the local papers rank soccer on their websites (the SJ Mercury just upgraded us in the last month so that we're above high school sports now), and it's how the new cable sports network considers the team heirarchy (article from yesterday's Chronicle).

MLS has a lot of work to do to make a dent in the Bay area sports landscape. Building a fancy SSS would help, but I think Wolff plans on something more like a scaled down version of BMO Field or PHP (i.e. no roof, no club suites).

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A roof would be nice, but, of all the teams in the league, San Jose probably needs one the least. Hardly any rain during the season, and Saturday evenings are pretty damn nice. No need to sit in the shade. Now, if the league ever decides to go to a more european schedule, a roof would then come in handy.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. :(

That's fortunately very likely to happen! :cool:

Though Lew Wolff publicly mentioned things like number of seats, berms and little-to-no suites, he never mentioned a roof one way or the other. However, David Alioto sure did.

-G

9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    seriously, you guys suck as fans in SJ if you can sell out a 15k stadium all the time. OVER 30 YEARS AGO the 'Quakes were draws high teens and low 20s....the population there has boomed, there are tons of internationals and high-paying jobs...I mean, c'mon!!!!

10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We suck if we can sell out a stadium all the time?:confused:

11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    By your math the entire league's fans suck except for LA, Toronto, and Seattle.

12. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    He never said that the roof would be over the stands though...... ;)

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually by his math ONLY Seattle, LA and Toronto suck because they sell out all the time. (Though LA doesn't sell out anymore so I guess they don't suck either).

14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    See, you assume people can actually type coherent thoughts on the internet and not fail at basic grammar. I know what he wrote but I also know he meant the exact opposite of what he typed. I don't punish people for the grammatical errors. I will call them out on not knowing what they are talking about while using grammatical errors though (not to mention combining that with horrendous math skills).

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    As poor a post as it was, c'mon y'all. It was a typo.:rolleyes:

16. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was in response to the proposed 15k stadium by lew wolff. Uh, wasnt a stadium this size an issue with MLS and Garber when Montreal was wanting to enter with a newly completed 13k venue? All the news stories suggest Saputo had to propose or assure MLS that a stadium expansion would occur. Why hold Saputo's feet to the fire, and not say a lick about Wolff building a stadium that is so small? People make excuses such as an "undeveloped soccer market" in the Bay area. Sign someone the likes of George Best and folks will show up in droves. Attendance has gotten smaller and smaller because the much promised improvement in play has not progressed as much as what was hoped for. Christian Vieri may be washed up, but I bet if he is signed by LA as rumored both non-Beckham games against quakes at coliseum will hit 20k.Wollf has no idea how to draw the knowledgeable soccer fan. As for the Bay area being filled with asians and that thus impacting attendance, the Inter vs America game at Stanford will sell out and so will Mexico's Gold cup game at the coliseum in June/July.

17. Chris '66

Chris '66 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Good news on the land deal.

At this point, a nice, simple 15K stadium with expansion possibilities to 18k is all SJ needs. Wolf has said he is not interested in doing anything ritzy or crazy with lux boxes, but wants an intimate joint where the seats and concourses are wide enough, bathrooms and concessions are plenty, fans are on top of the action, and people can have a good time. BMO with grass, plus that hill for the overflow.

18. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's not "BMO with grass" you just described. BMO has 5,000 more seats than 15K so you'd be losing pretty much the whole second deck on the main grandstand. BMO does have tons of ritzy and crazy luxury boxes that make MLSE an absolute ton of money. In fact, I'd argue that they actually subsidize my seats to a certain extent! On the other hand BMO categorically does not have wide enough concourses or plentiful bathrooms and concessions as anyone who's tried to move around under the east or west grandstand at half time will tell you. I've always suspected that they built the place with the expectation that average attendence really would be 12 to 16K. I seem to remember them hastily adding more urinals to the washrooms after one or two games in our first season.

One thing that I think drives people's perception of BMO is that the West Stand is the most permanent structure with all the really nice facilities but it's the stand you never see on TV. Thus, those who've only seen the stadium during games make the reasonable extrapolation that what they see of the East Stand is repeated around the entire facility. BMO isn't lavish by any stretch - it was built with a more limited ambition - but it's hardly a dump either. Not that San Jose has to end up with a dump if they go 12 to 15K. At this point they just need to build something.

And really, wouldn't Colorado and Columbus both the better served by a 15K stadium? Other than U.S. games Columbus almost never draws more than that (announced) which my actually create the ticket scarcity to start pushing their season ticket numbers back to where they used to be. And their supporters wouldn't look so lonely down in the corner!

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the roof will only be over the field? :D

-G

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    While I am a big fan of a nice roof over the stands, I have to say that the place that needs a roof the least in the league is probably SJ. I lived out there for the first few years of MLS and went to a ton of Clash games. I don't think there is a chance in hell that a drop of rain will ever touch a fan given the time of year MLS plays its games. The sun can be a bit hot but there are not that many day games a year (if any). Finally, sitting in Spartan in the evening from April to October presents some of the best temperatures you can imagine. As for noise, the roofless Spartan was a great place when there were 15,000+ inside. Would a roof make it louder? Maybe, but probably not by much.

My point is, a roof would be great, but I wouldn't loose any sleep if they get a beautiful 15,000 seat roofless stadium.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An embarrassingly-small 15,000 seat stadium built at only $40-$60 million won't really be beautiful by any stretch of the imagination (even in today's dollars), even moreso without a roof. :(

However, there's fortunately very little chance that it won't have a roof, so there's at least that much to look forward to. :cool:

-G

22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I obviously agree with what you are saying, but, it did rain during the season opener against New England.:)

No, it would not make it louder. Countdown to MM10Shirt appearing...5....4....3...2......:p

23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told you before Goodsie, Alioto promised you a roof, but, he didn't say what it would cover. :D

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I disagree. It sounds like he won't be pouring money into things like extensive luxury boxes. If done right, it could be an incredibly beautiful stadium for that amount. It's all in the design and if the GAME is the focus of that design.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither would I. Right now the most important thing is to get the Quakes in their own home stadium that they control the revenue streams (and that ensures their future in the area). Everything else is gravy.