In a pickle; my pregnant wife is due June 14th or Italy USA June 17th?

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by taylor, Apr 10, 2006.

1. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is correct, it is about logistics and cumlative probability with the contraint of me not being able to change the names of the tickets. The thread is not about missing the birth, it is about making sure that I don't miss the birth.

All, I am trying to do is find alternatives to my current problem and create a better math estimation for a cumaltive probabilty of birth date.

I am also trying to understand the nature of delivery times. i.e. if the absolute minimum for a birth is 8 hours then I don't have a problem with my 6 hours/552 hours of being 5 hours away. For my wife it is no problem for me not to be there. She understands and as I said, these East Germans girls are brewed a little different.

Having said that, I am starting to feel more inclinded to not attend the Czech and Italy games.

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Maybe YOU should have thought about this 9 months ago.

Dumbass.

:D congrats.

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The dumbass may be deserved, but it is not because I didn't plan on the Cup, you see, I did. I just thought the Cup was going to start on May 15th....

Maybe I should pull a "Bush" and blame it on my intelligence ;)

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    A guy named after an anus said your wife had Weapons of Mass Sperm Destruction? And this faulty intelligence has gotten you into a jam that you won't ever live down?

Ok, I'm done with this thread. ;)

Congrats, by the way!

5. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OTE=PsychedelicCeltic]Maybe YOU should have thought about this 9 months ago.

Dumbass.

:D congrats.[/QUOTE]

hillarious:)

yes he should have thought 9 months ago:)

6. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, don't feel bad. During my wife's labor for our second child, I slept on the hospital room couch with headphones on. She had an epidural, so what could I do? She was dozing off during labor, too. I woke up about twenty minutes before the birth.

I do remember that her water broke while she was walking to the bathroom. I leaned up from the couch and said, "Hey, make sure you clean that up. I'm in my socked feet."

She knew that I was just kidding.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    You wife only gives birth once. Be there...

There will be plenty more times to see the US play in the WC.

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    YES BE THERE, your wife need you..

if i were pregnant woman (and my baby would be due world cup) , I think I would try to make my birth in soccer stadium, during Finale Game Germany:).
    The baby would get directly german soccer jersey:). It would be the most famous baby in the world:). Just joking around of course.

9. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some women give birth more than once. :D

10. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can have kids almost anytime, a World Cup being played in the country you live in is probably once in a lifetime!!!
    Statistcally speaking, the odds of your child being born while the game is being played is just too small to justify not planning on going.

Lee (<--- 40 year old single guy)

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Uh fid.... women can give birth more than once... you wouldn't want this post to end up in Fidlette's hands would you?

Sachin

12. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must really be confident CONCACAF will continue to get worse and worse.

Here's your best argument. Tell your wife you don't want to build resentment toward the child starting from the very first day. You're going to have to give up just about every grown up fun thing you like for the next twenty years, so you should be able to have this one last thing. You'll just be in the way at the birth any way.

It's worth a shot, but I won't guarantee it will work.

13. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Does your wife have any medical problems which could force the need for induction? If you go into delivery thinking it will only be 8 hours you're setting yourself up for heartbreak if not insanity. If your wife is induced it is very possible she could be in for up to 24. My wife was induced on Tuesday the 17th our child was born on Thursday the 19th. 40 weeks is a nice "target" and most happen between 34 and 36, but things could take place that would necessitate an induction.

my 2 cents...... the birth of your child is worth 100 World Cup Wins.
    Go ahead flame away folks.

14. SoccerFamilyStyle

Dec 9, 2005
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No inductions! That's why the US has skyrocketing c-section rates and crappy neonatal outcomes and why Germany is a safer place to give birth than here!

Just have sex with her like crazy! It's the old fashioned way of inducing labor!

As a woman who traveled to Korea 5 months pregnant, I say your place is home with pregnant wife/new baby. You won't want to leave if baby does arrive early, and if he/she hasn't, the birth of your firstborn is one of the few things that trump soccer.

Now if you're tickets need a good home, we're looking for Italy tickets and will gladly give you all the advice we learn this year doing World Cup with a 3-1/2 year old!

15. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

No, no induction.

Although, I realized that they miscalculated the due date. After careful review of timing and figuring out how doctors decided on the delivery date, i.e. they ask when the first day of the period began, I found out that the due date is a five days over. Women don't really know these things, I guess, but when it comes to pregnancy and periods, guys seem to have a much better memory, for some reason.

Instead of the real due date being the 14th, it is actually the 9th of June. That is three days before the opening game against the Czech Republic.

So I think I am just going to risk it and keep the tickets. Although, does anyone know if they are really going to check each ticket at the gate?
    If they didn't, it sure would make my life easier....

16. Dusky

Dusky Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Southern Kali
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Watch it on TV. Save the ticket for the rest of your life. Share this anecdote with your child when he/she grows up. Consider your not attending the world cup match as the first official "sacrifice" you'll make for your child. (Not that American offpsprings seem to appreciate this sort of shit; your ass will end up in a retirement home no matter what. Go ahead, tell me that I'm wrong.)

Well, above is what the "good guy" would do. Personally, if I were all that crazy for watching soccer matches LIVE (from the stadium) and I found myself in your situation... that baby would have to go fatherless during world cup matches. I'm pretty sure that my father wasn't next to my mother when I was born, but he was around when it meant the most to me. My parents have been together for over 30 years.

In all reality, though, you oughta let your love for your lady guide you. Then again, if she loves you thiiiiiiiiiiiis muuuuuuuuuuuuch, she could tell you to enjoy the soccer match and even promise you to never mention to your child that you weren't around for his/her birth. :D And if pictures are taken, just make sure there's a bright green background so that you can later interpose a picture of yourself. :D

17. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    No-one has mentioned the divorce option.

just an idea :eek:

18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    oh btw, I have two daughters now. I ended up not going to the Czech game and then my first was born right after the Poland Germany game, so I went on to see US v Italy.

Someone please pull this thread up 10 months prior to the next world cup please. I had meant to pull this thread up 10 months ago to warn others to make sure they get their math right, but I forgot.

JBigjake repped this.
  19. Dusky

Dusky Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Southern Kali
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's great reading a four year old thread about a situation that lies ahead in the future (at the time the thread was created) but has since been resolved. It's quite interesting reading it, wondering how one would would have responded to the thread using CURRENT circumstances only to find out one was an actual contributor to the thread and now living under very different circumstances.

My response to the thread came in April of '06. I was single and had no reason to think my situation would change anytime soon. Today I'm exactly three months from being the father of a three year old and just had the greatest day of my life as a father on Sunday.

I guess someone should remember to STICKY this thread right around September of 2013.

20. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol cheers bud!

21. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, refusing a wife sex from September through late 2013 (early births happen) seems cruel and unusual punishment for a couple. Pity the old farts that already reached the much feared, you aren't getting it anyway stage of life. :eek: Or, maybe their wives will encourage them to get the heck out of the house and such guys can hope not to miss out on Brazil 2014. Good luck on that possibility.

22. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thought I should bump this for those who really like to "plan ahead" for brazil :)

23. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife is having a procedure in May that will hopefully ensure that we have a baby 9 months later. I missed the last WC because my son was born on the first US game in 2010. That one I couldn't miss, but having a new born in February I'm hoping I'll get a hall pass for Brazil!

24. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well boys, if you plan on going to Brazil, now is the month you def need to wrap it up!
    This is your curtesy four year reminder post!

MarkoC and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Boy, you are one lazy husband!