Improving shooting technique

Discussion in 'Player' started by Chicharito352, Nov 3, 2011.

1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This video is no good for working on power shooting on an instep drive he is not landing on the shooting foot. No power in that shot.

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I could not find that video Loden sent us. I posted the reason why I noticed it because he took that video from a field right near the east river drive near Houston street here in New York City. I told him I had one of my last fist fights right on the east river drive opposite his field in my late 50s :)

Any way he was about 25 yards from the fence took his instead drive and the ball never even hit the fence so there was no power in his shot. If their was the ball would have hit the fence with power it was a weak shot not a powerful shot.

It might help to send us a video of you taking your instep drive but from 30 yards out.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

You have to do something like move to the left or right to get the keeper to move left or right then shoot the side where he left.

4. Messi the GOAT

Messi the GOAT New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I'm having the same problem. I can hit a decent volley and got a good curl shot but when the ball is on the ground I lack power and accuracy in my shot. The ball just seems to stay on the ground.

5. Messi the GOAT

Messi the GOAT New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Is an angled approach necessary? I see players like Messi hit great strikes straight on with there laces.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    shooting for distance and power instep drive

First you learn how to take the instep drive on a dead ball with a short approach.

You want toe down and ankle locked heal up through the shot. Take a ball drop it on your foot in that position when you find the right spot to hit the ball with. The ball will go flying off your foot.

You want a good arc in your leg swing. Plant foot very slightly a head of the ball not even with the ball but you can begin with foot even with the ball. All your weight on the plant foot. Then for distance power that weight is transfered by landing on your kicking foot. Also take into account the distance from your plant foot to the kicking foot. Adjust that position for you and you will get better results. Your approach angle matters so not straight at the ball.

When shooting in normal situations you want a quick shot and you might not want to land on the licking foot you might want top spin instead to keep the shot from going over the goal.

For distanxce shooting you need that nice arc to your shot that takes more time so you need more space to get it off

7. Peter Olaffson

Peter Olaffson New Member

Manchester United
    France
    Dec 14, 2020
    Hey bud,
    I would agree with many others here who said that shooting training was all about practice and specific training plans. You need to do effective drills and exercises and not be focused on shooting only. You need to develop physical and technical skills. Overall, I suggest you take a look at this practical guide on improving shooting in football. It is a very step-by-step guide with various examples and video explanations. CHeers.