Improvements to the Gold Cup

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by DoyleG, Oct 5, 2002.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    More likely it would be in the Rose Bowl. Ego reasons.

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All Aspects

All aspects must be improved, steadily and simultaneously:

Marketing (InterForeverSports needs to crawl in a hole and die!)

Promotion (see IFS, above)

Television (at least the semis and the final for God's sake!)

Prize Money (with a relationship created between preceived "A" team participation and prize money allocations, i.e. the more teams bring what CONCACAF determines is an "A" team, the higher tier of prize payout)

Format (NO GUEST TEAMS, 12 teams (with 3 groups of 4), or 16 teams (4 groups of 4; how will bad teams get better without playing???)

Venues (D.C., NYC, Columbus, Boston, and various in Canada as REAL options as well now that the tourney is in the summer)

3. Concacaf

Concacaf New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Nürnberg, Germany
    I for one don't have a problem with inviting teams to the Gold Cup, specially if they are from South America and with a high level of play. We also get invited to play in their tournament and thats is a good trade.

Colombia won the last Copa America and Brazil's U-23 is better than most of the National teams in our conference. Their inclusion will rise the level of play and help our team's quality improve and see different styles of football which will come handy when the World Cup comes around.

I don't have a problem either with the USA hosting the tournament as long as venues located in cities with a high population of latinos are used thus not giving a home field advantage to any particular team.

With all due respect to some of you saying the CUp could be held in Canada.. why really? As far as I know the sport is even less popular there than in the USA.. then take away the high immigration which is present in cities such as Miami and LA.. not much appeal to held the CUp there, at least this is my view. The large southern USA cities are the perfect places to host the games.

I don't like the idea of Mexico hosting their group, it is just too big of a home field advantage. Mexico will host all their games until the semis, what are the chances of they not making it all the way there?

3 teams will always be there Canada, USA and Mexico. Costa Rica, Honduras and T&T or Jamaica will also be there every single time if something very strange doesnt happen. What are the chances of one of these teams not winning the Cup in an all Concacaf tourney? I rather see a couple of good teams with chances and enough quality to take the Cup and improve the quality of play.

Perhaps some of you just think in term of your own national teams and dont look at the issue from the stand point of a conference as a whole. Mexico doesnt take this tournament as seriously as before because they now play the Copa America (soemthing they rightly deserve) and that after the WC are their priorities. USA has the money to pay the top teams in the world to come on over and play friendlies with them all the time, this is the main reason why they have improved so much in such a short time. The rest of the conference either doesnt have enough money or football appeal to bring the top teams in the world to play, so this is why I like the idea of bringing the couple of invited teams. OK so Barbados, Panama, or Nicaragua will have their places taken over by Colombia but for the Conference as a whole this is better.. improving the level of the top teams will eventually also bring the level of the bottom teams up.. but we need to play the best teams in the world to do so.

4. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would make it CONCACAF only. Also, I think 3 groups of 4 would be better than 4 groups of 3.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's all fine and dandy as long as the South Americans don't win it all. What do you think the world's opinion would be of CONCAlaugh if a guets team won it all.

That basically strikes out most US cities.

Than what you know is little at best. Soccer is now bigger in Canada than hockey is. The fan support is here for a tournament to be a sucess.

A tourney full of surprises is always the best.

The again, teams don't tend to send their best over to play against the Americans (ie. the Welsh in San Jose).

6. Concacaf

Concacaf New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Nürnberg, Germany
    Oh I see.. its OK if they come but dont win.?!?! I couldnt care less what the world's opinion would be if Brazil was to win our tournament.. chances are they would win their tournament too. Do we have the Gold Cup to win a popularity contest or to improve the level of play in our Conference and represent well in the World Cup?

Read the whole post! I said southern cities with high density of latinos! I take that back and now say any city with a high density of latinos.

Ohh.. soccer is bigger than hockey in Canada. WOW.. well you are the Canadian and I surely dont live there.. this is the biggest surprise of my day.. I do however have friends from Canada and from what they have told me I remain, to say the very least, very skeptictal about this. Isnt it perhaps wishful thinking at best?

Well if Colombia, Mexico, USA, Brazil or Costa Rica dont win it would be a surprise. Still enough teams to have a nice Cinderella story.

Oh come on.. look back at the last 8 years and see which teams the USA has played against. Granted as you say sometimes they might not bring their A teams but those B teams are better than most A teams all of the other Concacaf (with the exception of Mexico) have played against. Would you as a Canadian like to trade off the teams Canada has played in the last 10 years with the ones the USA has played?

7. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US has improved its program in every single aspect. The USSF is now weathly due to marked improvement of our program and players. To suggest the main reason we've improved is because we can pay high profile opponents to play us is naive.

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    respected oponents?

well thanks to the mighty dollar!

reason why many conmebol or concacaf nations run their friendlies in MIami or lax

9. Concacaf

Concacaf New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Nürnberg, Germany
    I know many aspects have been improved, MLS has been a great part too. I still hold my ground and say playing the best teams in the world has been the main reason why the level of play has improved so much. I dont see how it is naive to think playing several times teams such Brazil, Argentina, England and other top flight teams will not result in a very fast increase of the level of play.

10. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, Moderators just make me laugh sometimes. Why would a mod BUMP this thread, after eight months of non-use? (At least, a bump should give the reason WHY it's being bumped.) This is the kind of thing that when any normal shlep like any of us do, we get the hand of God coming down on us.

OK, seriously. One way to improve the Gold Cup just may be to get rid of it, replacing it with a true Pan-American Cup. There is another thread for this idea on the Fifa board. A true 16-team tournament from the total 45 federations would be tremendous in both qualifying and the finals. (Although in my version, the top four teams in each country automatically qualify, and the other teams play out for the other 8 spots.)

Pan-Am Tournament Idea Thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49664

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CONCACAF wouldn't be in favour of a "Tournament of the Americas" since such a torunament would be for the big boys.

12. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Very simply the Gold Cup and CONCACAF (Warner & Blazer) need to go.

CONCACAF & CONMEBOL need to merge and have a bigger and better Copa America and Copa Libertadores. Anything else, is just a waste of time and lining the pockets of Warner & Blazer.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What would CONMEBOL gain out of merging with CONCACAF?

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    NNNNNNOOOOOOOOTTHHHHHHIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. ranul

ranul Member

fc edmonton
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2000
    alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    two changes

1 the schedule system should be changed
    example
    game 1 mexico vs brazil
    game 2 hondaras vs winner of game 1
    game 3 hondaras vs loser of game 1

2 there should be penalty kicks after each game . which should be used as a second tie breaker in the standings

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Have the 3x4 format.

Rename the "Gold Cup" the "Copa Oro"

17. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admittedly groups of 3 are silly, but the whole "best second placed" is too, since it is so bizarrely dependent on who the other teams are. In fact, usually the best second place team is the second placed team with the best firstplace team.

Much better to have 16 teams, 4 groups of four. It adds no more match days, so there's NO reason not to do it.

Second, the coin toss actually exists in every tournament, if only for group matches, it's just that they rarely come up in 4 team groups (3 matches rather than two.)

G.

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There isn't a deep enough talent in CONCACAF for a 16 team torunament. More Guest teams would have to be invited.

Best to have just the 12 teams (3x4) and drop the guest teams.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not now, or perhaps there is. Remember T&T didn't even qualify this time around.

Even if there isn't, if some of the weaker teams have a more realistic shot of qualifying for the actual tournament, perhaps that will be the incentive they need to get better.

And besides groups of 3 is just dumb.

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    they need to work at the gate!

what sorry show today at foxboro, it looked like 5k

that is no way to promote futebol in this country....the rivals for canada and USA were no argentina or england, but c'mon they got to draw better!

what you think?

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Take those guests out and you would see a better tournament.

22. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Total was about 8K, but you're not too far off.

The problem with this schedule is that it's too packed together. You can't have three game dates in the same stadium in five days, it just leads to burnout.

The four groups of three thing is goofy, too, but that's been addressed. Three groups of four would also make it easier to spread games around.