Improvements for next year

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by worldwidefan, Jan 16, 2011.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    dablackdoctor23, you are right on.

Many of the UWNT players have now developed a sense of entitlement, IMO.

Judging from blogs, twitters, comments, many of them expect to be on the team.
    IF I recall correctly, at first, Pia sad that she will use the WPS as a tool to judge player's performance. Well, IMO that hasn't happened very much.
    Players who have played their hearts out are not even getting a sniff of the USWNT and underperformers get constant call-ups.

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to this, Pia is a phoney.

2. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    You nailed it!!!

3. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the sence of entitlement... I bet that most did or will not take any paycut to play this year in the WPS even with the inceased training for WWC.

Barnhart will likely end up in Philly much to the dismay of Henderson because there will be pressure to to Play her... may as well have kept LeBlanc

Kelly Smith and Marta are the 2 highest paid and if Cristiane was making that much, she was stealing form the team...

I think the USWNT and a few other players (Sinclair and LeBlanc) are the next level, but I do not know what their range is

BTW - if anyone asks who I am or how I know some info, I will gladly tell them

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    you would think one of the keepers would end up in atl. there was a post that atl offered leblanc below her usual 25k and she declined which would explain why either one isnt in atl.

def isnt that bad...just need a solid keeper.

5. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Someone brought up the goalkeeping situation in a twitter chat today and the Beat twitter said more announcements would be coming.

Uh, I'd hope so, considering they only have 16 players signed for preseason and no keepers as of yet.

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 25 K was too low for a starting GK, especially a proven one. I am pretty sure she makes close to the USWNT money in the WPS....

8. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Karina's salary was higher than what you stated in the post - but no where near the numbers you see being bantered around in this thread. A great pick-up for Philly - but poor Val continues to be second fiddle. Karina pretty much has to go to ATL now, unless she sits out or plays for Pali to stay in the action.

9. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Atlanta will announce GKs.

1) Karina LeBlanc
    2) Allison Whitworth
    3) Brett Maron

10. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Whitworth is going to preseason camp with Boston. I'll hurl myself from a tall building if Maron is anywhere near this roster again.

11. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    Perhaps - but what about Jillian Loyden?

12. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    I fully expect Loyden to get the nod, but her healing from the broken hand might make things dicey.

13. AngusPodgorny

AngusPodgorny New Member

Sep 28, 2002
  14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My take on Jillian Loyden from watching her with the Red Stars last year is she is a fine "line keeper". But if you expect her to play off her line like Hope Solo or Jenni Branam does, forget it. Namazi and Naimo tried getting her to come off her line more often and she looked confused and indecisive and made mistakes.

15. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't disagree - based on the article above ATL seems to be set - so what happens to Karina?????

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's a good question.

17. dablackdoctor23

dablackdoctor23 New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She'll be playing Wleague or WPSL like a lot of top level players who just can't get a gig given the extreme limitations this season with WPS

18. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank Goodness we have some GKs.
    Can anyone tell me why these signings where such a National Secret?
    Maybe the Beat should spend some money on a PR person so that their Fans can know what is happening with the Team.
    Thanks Allison for being the bigger person coming back to the Beat after the way they treated you last year.

19. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pali it is, unless there is an injury and someone needs a GK enough to pay her a decent salary... rumour is that she met with Pali not too long ago

20. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    They have a full-time PR person on staff.

21. dablackdoctor23

dablackdoctor23 New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic question for you (seeing as you're the Ex SBFC GM)...why does it take so long for teams to get press releases out and what not? why is there such a hold up. sites like the equalizer get the news days before an official press release. Any particular reason??

22. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Dec 16, 2010
    It doesn't take all teams that long - at SBFC we had the release written and ready to go ahead of time. We also released all transaction information before we had league approval - all we needed to do was say pending league approval. When we were working on this stuff it was very exciting and we couldn't wait to get it out. In fact, I used to leak hints on twitter before we released to get people involved. Every team is different - but I had, and they still have, John Archibald from Resolution Sports as my person. He is fantastic and a real pro - we tried to do it the right way. Now that I am a fan - I agree with you - most teams are awful at getting the word out. You need to be a SBFC fan to see it done right!! But I may be biased.

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta does seem to take time sometimes with releases. But I wonder if it's the difference between a verbal agreement and a written agreement. Maybe we hear about things when they're still at the verbal stage, but Atlanta doesn't release the info until it is more official.

I know I saw Jesolva tweet about Atlanta a good two or three weeks before the press release.