Impressions from the stadium - Post your experience here

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by lpporto, Jun 13, 2014.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord, people.

I just went through this entire thread and there has not been a single post deleted from it by anyone.

I deleted some posts yesterday in a thread devoted to trading tickets because they were completely off topic and were drawing complaints from people who were trying to use the thread for its intended purpose. I assume that's what you're complaining about.

2. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Paul. Are you having a laugh? Every single England fan I know hates the Scotland football team with every fibre of their being, and wants them to lose every single time they play. In '96 at Wembley England fans cheered the single Dutch goal, much louder than the four England goals, as it meant Scotland did not qualify for the second stage.

And I know for sure that the feeling is reciprocated by Scots.

And here's some others without thinking too hard.

Germany - Holland

Croatia - Bosnia

Russia - Ukraine

Northern Ireland - Republic of Ireland

Greece - Turkey

3. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Paul must be either an American or Swiss... Only those wouldn't understand real rivalry in the game

4. paul23

paul23 Member

Jun 19, 2014

Im spanish. And yes I dont understand that someone goes to the stadium dressed in the colours of the other team and insulting the one they hate.

5. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    I'm sorry. Would not have guessed I thought RM x Barça was really intense

6. paul23

paul23 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    yes. And I am R.Madrid fan, my father pays anuality, and if Barcelona plays in my city against Granada for example I wouldn't go to the stadium dress in Granada's colours and insulting them.

I think is a different level of intensity...

7. El_Bulla

El_Bulla Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Might as well post my experience so far:

Chile vs Australia

Very easy getting to the stadium. Finding my seat was not a problem, everything was organized well on the outside. Inside, very pretty stadium with great sight lines. Great atmosphere inside the stadium, everyone seemed to be getting a long pretty well. The bus drops you off near Praca Popular, which is a great place to be after your team wins. Lots of partying, even from Australians. Generally enjoyed the experience and Cuiaba in general. All of the locals (except for one cop) was in a great mood and was in full on world cup mode. Getting out of the stadium was easy as well, lots of directions and did not have to wait for a bus.

Chile vs Spain

Again, very easy process. Free ride on the metro if you show a world cup ticket, easy to get Maracana. A bit crowded on the bridge after the station, but nothing to warrant a big deal. Stadium itself isn't as impressive as I expected. When you hear the name "Maracana" you expect something imposing. Instead it's essentially one big tier which makes the stadium look pretty small. Great sight lines though. Even about 10 rows from the top you could see everything clearly. Brazilians were very nice and several congratulated us after the match. Great atmosphere overall.

Chile vs Netherlands

Left pretty late for this match so I ended up being in a bit of a rush to get to the stadium. Managed to squeeze myself into the express train. Trip was pretty easy, around 20 minutes. Stadium is pretty far away from the city. Surroundings of the stadium were pretty bleak. Getting into the stadium was a bit of a pain. The aisles are pretty narrow which leads to a lot of crowding and lots of jams. When you finally get in to your gate finding your seat is pretty straightforward. Sight lines are good, was in about the 25th row of the top tier behind the goal. After the match ended several Brazilians started insulting and chanting against Chile. Most were pretty cool however.

Chile vs Brazil

Getting to the stadium was pretty easy. It's a bit of a trek but it's literally straightforward for a around a kilometer or 1.5. Stadium's pretty impressive from the outside, not as much from the inside. Nice atmosphere inside. Good sight lines. A large part of the Brazilian supporters, I'd say the majority booed Chile's national anthem, especially the a capella anthem, which I found pretty distasteful. Every time Chileans chanted they were jeered out by the Brazilians, but that was expected. After the match it's a bit of a trek to the buses. Lots of Brazilians were throwing insults and provoking. Most were pretty cool however, saying Chile played a good game and mentioning the crossbar at the last minute.

Brazil vs Colombia

Took one of the stadium specific buses that are available on match days. Pretty good atmosphere Unfortunately, again, several Brazilians insulted us for being Chilean, both before and after the match, telling us to go home and to learn to take penalties, even though Chile had nothing to do with the match. As for the stadium, you could get within 10 meters of the entrance without ever presenting your ticket. The ticket check is very close to the stadium itself, which leads to a lot of crowding in between the gate entrances and the ticket checks. Once you're in your seat, the sight lines are great. The stadium feels much smaller than 60,000, the seats are all very low. Getting out of the stadium was pretty easy. It drops you off near the Fan fest, where there are a lot of people partying and having a good time. From there you can take a bus or taxi nearly anywhere.

Brazil vs Germany

Nearly the same as the Brazil vs Chile experience. Again, we were insulted for being Chilean (even though we painted our face Brazilian colors), but that was expected at least by this point. There were several Colombians in the stadium. All the Colombians I met were pretty salty and cheered for Germany. One in particular who I had the unfortunate experience of sitting next towas being very mean and just being generally vulgar. Called the Brazilians "sons of bitches" as well as many other insults and kept trying to get our attention and tell us how he was at the Brazil Colombia game and bla bla bla. Luckily he left after the third goal. By the 5-0, everyone pretty much accepted that there wasn't going to be a miracle, and the stadium sort of lost that semi-final atmosphere. After Klose was subbed off and after Germany's 7th goal, nearly all Brazilians gave the Germans a standing ovation. After the match, I stayed with Germans who stayed about an hour jumping and celebrating. Several players, including Schurrle, Gotze, Muller, and Klose came and celebrated with the fans. That was a very fun experience. Most Brazilians seemed more sad than angry lucky. Some still insulted us even after the match, which I didn't really understand. Most were pretty nice and easy to talk to after the match.

Tomorrow I'll be attending the final. I'll post a review in the upcoming days~

8. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chilean Maracana invasion and trashing of media center really rub ppl here the wrong way, we actually use to have a very positive view of Chile before this Cup. I saw many Brazilians chanting Chi, Chi Chi Le Le Le, Viva Chile in the beginning of the Cup

But nothing justifies booing a national anthem. Sorry for that that was really low class

9. El_Bulla

El_Bulla Member

Jan 21, 2007
    The majority have been cool. I've really enjoyed Brazil for the past 30 or so days. Other than those handful of bad experiences, it's all been great!

10. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess USA/Mexico isnt a rivalry to you ?

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:

12. Bora Brasil

Bora Brasil New Member

Jul 13, 2014
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Santos FC
    #137 Bora Brasil, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    :D
    You forgot the upmost in South America....

Brazil - Argentina

Today in WC final all the country will be supporting Germany :D

P. s. Will be a very witty initiative to wear a Flamengo style jersey in full Maracanã

13. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Spain has been irrelevant as a NT since forever, so it's understandable that our fellow poster doesn't understand a fierce rivalry between nations. If Spain manages to stay on the top tier, something will arise. I don't think they will, though.

14. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Richard Krajicek doesn´t really sound like a brazilian name, but I might be wrong.

15. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think rivalry can be more intense at club level than at International level.

Some of it is more one sided. I'd see England as our main rivals (Republic of Ireland) whereas they'd see Argentina, Germany or even Scotland. Our game with Northern Ireland in 1993 provoked a reaction (an over reaction in my view) down here. My colleagues had to tell me how bad it was as I missed the tv and radio coverage because I was at the game.

I've been to (West) Germany v Holland (Hamburg 88), Argentina v Brazil (Turin 90) and England v Germany (Charleroi 2000). I found Germany v Holland to be the most intense although it was a particularly significant Dutch win. Although some of the Argentinians haven't forgotten Turin either.

I'd imagine el Salvador v Honduras is still pretty tasty considering they went to war over a game. Azerbaijan can't even play Armenia. If Israel qualified for a World Cup an ddrew an Arab nation or Iran it might be a bit hostile.

Serbia v Croatia, Serbia v Turkey, Greece v Turkey, Hungary v Romania, Poland v Germany, Sweden v Denmark, Russia v Georgia are a few games in Europe that would be pretty hot.

At club level I'd like to see Boca v River some day. A friend has been to a number of the high profile derbies and reckons this is the best.

16. Richard Krajicek

Richard Krajicek New Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So predictable. I saw several fights in the stands after the german goal. Some argentinians also spitted at brazilians. After the match, they wanted to fight with any brazilian that was wearing a german shirt. I saw three argentinians being arrested. In their minds they can provoke brazilians, but brazilians can't provoke them. Ridiculous.

paulalanr repped this.
  17. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    However nobody here is defending Rodrigo Paiva.

And anyway, are you sure you are a spaniard? Sound like a uruguayan speaking. It was Suarez third time. I am sure (or at least hope) that if Rodrigo Paiva repeats his clownish thuggish behavior that will be banned FOR LIFE from football. (btw, he is not Scolari's assistant. He works for CBF. Coaches come and go and Rodrigo Paiva is there)

18. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the song is not about them being the fathers of brazilian football (and it wouldn´t even make sense). The term daddy obviously has quite different connotations than "father".

example: a man having sex with a woman and using the term "come to daddy", while he would NEVER use the word "father"... using father would have a total "incest" meaning, while daddy is more something of "power"... the daddy holds the power, the other is the "child", which must learn.

I still don´t know what " que Cani (Caniggia) te vacunó" means, I wonder if "vacunó" is a football term.

19. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    true, very low class, but if it only happened in a single city, I will only blame people from that city (Belo Horizonte). No sense saying people from Natal are low class for people from Belo Horizonte booing an anthemn.

20. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    at least in Porto Alegre, I only saw good things between brazilians and foreigners in all matches.

Even though there were reports of argentines stealing tickets for the Nigeria match, Porto Alegre got the largest number of argentine fans and the least number of fights.

There was a single fight incident in Porto Alegre, despite the big number of argentines. In the bohemian neighborhood of Cidade Baixa, drunkard Argentines and Porto Alegrenses started a very small scale confrontation (it seems that it were less than 5 people)

The brazilian had a gun and shot the argie on the leg, fortunatelly nothing serious, because the argie fan was able to talk to the hospital.

Interesting enough, the argument was NOT about Brazil vs Argentina. It was an argument about ARGENTINE CLUBS!! Probably a brazilian saying something like Boca being the best argentine club, and the argentine fan being a River fan, or something like that.

21. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vacunar is Argentina soccer slang that means beating, defeating. The reference is to the 1990 round of 16 game when Argentina eliminated Brazil.

22. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know what game it was. The song is pretty clear about that (it talks about brazilians crying from Italy to today). I asked only about the single term.

Anyway, quite a provocative song, which argies arrived in Brazil already singing it, and argentines are complaining about Brazilians rooting against them?

And someone said brazilians lack self-criticism?

23. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any Brazilian who was alive in 1990 knows that game. The explanation was for the benefit of the non-Brazilian and non-Argentine posters.

Almost all people from Argentina that I know are very nice, extremely pleasant people, that is, until we start talking about soccer/futbol/futebol. Then everything changes. They become completely crazy about the rivalry. And I think that in their eyes, we are the same way.

A lot of it has to do with the team rivalries within the cities. When Inter beats Grêmio in Porto Alegre, you are forced to endure merciless teasing for a few days. When CARP beats CABJ, the same happens in Buenos Aires. We love the sense of superiority that having the good guys (our team) beat the bad guys (the other team). Some of the teasing can be very classless, and some can be quite amusing.

As a sãopaulino, I know that anything can happen in a São Paulo x Palmeiras or São Paulo x Corinthians game, no matter which team is in a good phase or bad phase. The clássicos can have any result. Same thing with Brazil x Argentina.

We translate this city rivalry into our international rivalries. We tease mercilessly and sometimes in an offensive manner. We suffer the teasing when we lose, and we love to see our rivals lose, even if not by our own hand.

I have long ago decided that in soccer, I don't have enemies, only rivals and opponents. So the teasing has to be good-natured and never offensive.

24. Ashan Rama

Ashan Rama Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Flights were pretty minimal. I did see some Brazilians do nothing but goad Argentinians for a reaction. And I saw some Argies starting it also. No surprise. Idiots on all sides as I said before.

25. Bora Brasil

Bora Brasil New Member

Jul 13, 2014
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Yeah, the same idiots that destroyed seats in Itaquera stadium and sprayed the walls where they were camped in Sambódromo.... What a shame!
    While the germans left a true legacy and lessons for Brazil, those idiots dont know how to behave when loose a game.