Important Stadium Bill Information - Act Now

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Empire Supporters Club, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Empire Supporters Club

Feb 7, 2000
    NYC
    Important Stadium Bill Information- Act Now

It appears that the Harrison Waterway Project is now in the hands of the Senate Committee on Economic Growth, Tourism and Agriculture.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillsByCommittee.asp

Furthermore, after looking at the New Jersey State Legislature link above, the members of this specific committee are listed as:
    Raymond Lesniak
    Joseph Kyrillos
    Martha Bark
    Leonard Connors
    Nia Gill
    Joseph Vitale

While one of our more politically savvy members may be able to paint a more clear picture as to the importance of this committee and the entire process, what is now very obvious is that we all must begin the most important letter writing campaign in our team and club's history.

The ESC is asking ALL of it's members and all Metro fans at large to hand write to at least three random members of this six member committee making the following points:
    -Over 20 times a year, regardless of your county of residence, you will be bringing friends and family to the proposed stadium as a final destination in a day that includes spending on public transit, food, drink and retail stores.
    -The Harrison plan would be an amazing boost to the city and the county, providing in excess of a thousand jobs, a massive boost to local and state taxes and a meaningful use for the current brown site.
    -Finally, for the first time in decades, Metropolitan area soccer fans which number into the the hundreds of thousands, will have a soccer specific stadium tied into the state's public transit system in an urban setting that will completely revitalize an entire city and be the envy of the entire nation.
    -The Committee on Economic Growth, Tourism and Agriculture should recommend that the Newark Arena bill be heard later and that the Harrison/MetroStars bill be passed immediately while the City of Harrison, County of Hudson, MetroStars and Metropolitan area soccer fans are all ready.

Please, though, write right now. Can someone chime in on the process and perhaps some addresses or other links?

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who feel like "oh no, we've been through this before", please read today's Ledger article linked below. Harrison is getting pushed off the docket in favor of the stinkin' Meadowlands. We need to re-take the initiative this summer. And yes, letter-writing does work. Democratic Sen. Lesniak said about a month ago that he had not gotten a single call or letter of support for the Newark Arena, and that was part of the reason why he wasn't going to push that hard for it. Give him and the rest of them a reason to get behind this bill.

The bill is Senate #1401 / Assembly #2352. In your letter say at the start that you SUPPORT S1401 / A2352, creating a Sports and Entertainment District in Harrison. Boldface it, italicize it, underline it. That is the most important thing. If the Senator's office doesn't get beyond that sentence, they will get why you're writing.

In the letter, say that you will buy season tickets, eat and drink at restaurants near the stadium, take PATH / NJT there, and spend lots of money. Also tell them that you won't spend that money at the Meadowlands. The key is to let them know that making Harrison into a SED will bring the state more money, not less. If you're from NY, PA or CT, all the more better -- the money that you will spend at the Harrison stadium is money that you would never have spent in New Jersey without the stadium. It's a 100% gain for the state.

The bill will be re-introduced by September. Write one letter a week between now and the end of the regular season. We can make a difference on this.

Try to write to everyone, but if you're really pressed for time focus on this one guy:

Sen. Joseph Kyrillos, Jr.
    Suite 303
    One Arin Park Building
    1715 Highway 35
    Middletown, NJ 07748
    PHONE NUMBER: (732) 671-3206

Most likely we need one Republican on our side -- only one. Kyrillos is the guy. He's the Republican who is most likely to vote yes and get it out of committee. He has flip-flopped on this issue more than anyone. He can be swayed by your letters and phone calls.

Here's everyone else on the committee. Call or e-mail (subject header: Support of S1401) or write.

Sen. Martha Bark
    Suite 103
    3000 Midlantic Drive
    Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
    PHONE NUMBER: (856) 234-8080
    E-MAIL ADDRESS: SenBark@njleg.org

Sen. Raymond Lesniak
    985 Stuyvesant Ave.
    Union, NJ 07083
    PHONE NUMBER: (908) 624-0880
    E-MAIL ADDRESS: SenLesniak@njleg.org

Sen. Leonard Connors (this guy was my state senator growing up and is older than dirt)
    620 West Lacey Road
    Forked River, NJ 08731
    PHONE NUMBER: (609) 693-6700

Sen. Nia Gill
    425 Bloomfield Avenue
    2nd Floor
    Montclair, NJ 07042
    PHONE NUMBER: (973) 509-0388

Sen. Joseph Vitale
    87 Main Street
    Woodbridge, NJ 07095
    PHONE NUMBER: (732) 855-7441
    E-MAIL ADDRESS: SenVitale@njleg.org

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    you're doing god's work, obie

4. metrosarenumberone

metrosarenumberone New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    i know we want our own stadium so badly but sending letters i think wont help. if wost comes to wrst, we can always play kean universit :D

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ye of little faith and bad English skills.

Letter writing does work. I've seen it happen. These Senators and Assemblymen respond to two things: their political party machine, and the voice of the constituents. Since NJ is a wealthy moderate state, nobody really calls on their state senators for anything. A few dozen letters flowing into Kyrillos' office will get noticed. Heck, a few dozen letters would probably triple the receptionist's work load.

Write. It really does work.

6. fmf2

fmf2 New Member

Feb 10, 2002
    montclair, nj
    Nia Gill's office is right down the street from me. Obie, how effective is a personal visit? I will write to the others.

fmf

7. Purevil3

Purevil3 New Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Exit 8
    Beleive me Obie, letters DO matter! Especially if they recieve an effen sh_t load!

8. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    It's rare that the legislator is there or will admit to being there. But it's still pretty effective. You may actually want to call the office, explain that you are a consituent, live right down the block, and would like to speak with her. Even if you can't get her you should be able to get an aide. Follow it up with a letter thanking her for her time and reiterating your support for the Harrison project.

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I just printed this thread for better reference offline, since I plan to give MS Word a real workout this week, and in the weeks to come.

Snailmail is still the way to go. Hard copy is hard to ignore, I guess, especially for these (friendly?) dinosaurs. I'm a New Yorker, but I intend to let these reps know that I hold a MetroStars season ticket -- I have since '96 -- and the money I DO NOT spend on over-priced concessions at Giants Stadium will be spent in Harrison and at the new stadium.

It's not only the soccer, but the shopping and dining that contributes to a full day. And the light rail transportation out of NYC only increases my enthusiasm -- especially after the NJ Transit fiasco last night. No more wayward busses to the Meadowlands; no more lines waiting for no-show busses at Port Authority.

This will a be a boon to the entire area, but especially to Harrison, Hudson County and New Jersey. It will also be the first soccer stadium in a large metropolitan area with direct access to public transportation. It will be a model for the entire country.

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my commute story from yesterday:

5:30 - 5:40 pm -- leave downtown Jersey City office, walk to Grove Street PATH Station.
    5:40 - 6:00 -- PATH train from Grove Street to 33rd & 6th, New York. Cost $1.20 with my multiple-ride card.
    6:00 - 6:15 -- walk from 33rd & 6th to Port Authority Bus Terminal at 41st and 8th. I check out "Area X", and there's a bus there. Yippee.
    6:15 - 6:35 -- Wait on line for bus ticket, because NJT refuses to sell Giants Stadium tickets through their automated machines. In addition, since it was July 31st, commuters were buying their August monthly bus passes. Cost of round-trip ticket $7.
    6:35 -- Walk out to Area X. The bus is long gone and there's a long line. I wait.
    6:35 - 6:55 -- Wait in 90-degree heat on the street outside the PABT. Brilliant.
    6:55 -- I say to myself that 7 pm is the limit, and if the bus doesn't come by 7 I'm going home.
    6:59 (really) -- bus arrives. I get on.
    6:59 - 7:05 -- bus fills and goes, leaving at least 30 others still waiting on the street.
    7:05 - 7:20 -- Wait in Lincoln Tunnel traffic, because there are no real bus lanes into the Tunnel from the street.
    7:20 - 7:35 -- Through tunnel, on the 495 viaduct, to Route 3. Bus driver makes the wrong turn into the stadium and drops us off near Gate A.
    7:35 -- get into the stadium just in time to see Diallo get hacked in the box -- on the TV screen, because I still need to walk around to the other side of the stadium to get to my seat.

Meanwhile on the way home the bus driver was insulting a passenger who tried to use a $20 bill to buy a ticket on the bus. I mean, who expects anybody to have change for a $20 nowadays? :rolleyes: Then an extra $2.10 to get from PABT to Hoboken. Total cost = $10.30 and 3 hours of my life that I will never get back.

Meanwhile, here's how this would go with a Harrison stadium:

5:30 - Leave work and walk to Grove Street PATH station.
    5:40 - Arrive at PATH.
    5:40 - 6:00 -- PATH to Harrison. Get off the train.
    6:00 - 7:15 -- Eat dinner and get a cold drink in a local restaurant within walking distance of the stadium.
    7:20 - into the stadium. Sit down, relax, cheer.

After the game, take PATH from Harrison to Journal Square, and switch at JSQ for Hoboken. Total time for the round-trip about 45 minutes, total cost = $1.20 x 2 = $2.40.

Write. Please.

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Obie, save your post and reprint it to mail these reps. It's a great argument all by itself -- especailly since you are a NJ resident. You actually have to go into NYC to get a bus to take you to the Meadowlands -- ie. back to New Jersy! then, of course, after the game, you have to take the bus BACK into NY in order to catch a PATH train to get you back into NJ.

Harrison needs to be done if only to stop the inhumane treatment of NJ MetroFans!

Oh, I forgot. NJSEA prefers customers that can drive to the stadium and pay parking fees. I really am missing the point here. The stadium isn't for the fans, it's for a select group of businessman and their political cronies.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, NJ public transportation is not meant to get you anywhere within the state, only to/from NYC and Philly. NJ legislators like smog and gridlock, apparently.

When I gave up my car about four years ago, the only reason for me to keep it was Metro matches. 350 days a year I'm happy knowing that I'm not paying for insurance, not trying to find a parking space every morning, not polluting the environment, not contributing to the hellish traffic, etc. I think PATH 98% of the time is great. But every time I get on that PABT bus to go back to the Swamp it friggin' kills me. I can't stand it. If it wasn't for the fact that we still have two home matches against the Scum this season, I would swear off home games for 2002.

13. Ron Ferguson

Ron Ferguson New Member

Dec 12, 1998
    write now!

OK, I've written to all six and made significantly altered copies for a dozen friends and family members to sign and send to various of the six.

In a perfect world, Anschutz would splash out the cash to build, but the reality of it is that we need to beg, borrow and steal to get this done. Anyone not lifting a finger now has little or no right to complain when we're at Giants Stadium in 2008.

Write to any or all of these Senators, now. Write right now...

14. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well here's my letter to these three senators.

To Senators Martha Bark, Raymond Lesniak & Joseph Vitale. This e-mail is related to the hope that a new professional Sports Stadium will be built in the town of Harrison for the MetroStars of Major League Soccer.

If you were able to watch the World Cup this past summer or the lack of sleep there was in watching it, you must have known about the big victories that the US Men's National Team have done to go as far as they did. achieving the Quarterfinals and defeating European Power Portugal and North American Rivals Mexico, unfortunately losing by a goal to Germany, but playing with pride and passion that almost tied the game and possibly winning it if it wasn't for the heroics of German Goalkeeper Oliver Kahn. As well as seeing NJ natives Claudio Reyna of Springfield, Tony Meola of Kearny & Gregg Berhalter from Tenafly perform their best on the field for the Red, White & Blue. This has been the furthest the program has gone in the World Cup since the first one in 1930 when that squad went as far as the Semi-Finals in Uruguay.

You must know that kids play the sport everyday in your respective towns and have joined local AYSO's (American Youth Soccer Organization) or the USYS (US Youth Soccer). That's why this stadium must be built for Harrison, for the State of NJ as well for the United States Of America. To continue the future of this global sport that is played all over the world and that has been embraced by everyone.

For the US Men's National Team to compete with the big boys of Europe, South America and to continue our current domination of our neighbors of Mexico who clam that we are not on the same level as we are. So much revenue can be achieved with this new stadium if you take away the League Schedule of the MetroStars involvement in Major League Soccer. They can host different tournaments involving inside US Soccer as well as outside US Soccer. The Soccer Confederation known as CONCACAF(Confederation of North American, Central America & Caribbean Football), as well as playing against other soccer clubs from outside the USA in exhibitions like the one last year when the MetroStars faced famed German club Bayern Munich and next summer it's my understanding that famed English club Manchester United will be here on a USA Tour and facing against the MetroStars. This stadium can be picked to host the MLS All-Star Game, An MLS Cup Championship Game, MetroStars can host about one too three Lamar Hunt US Open Cup games(this tournament involves all levels of US Soccer from MLS to the A-League(2nd Division), D3 Pro League (Division Three Pro League) & the Premier Developmental League (PDL 4th Division) which involves the New Jersey Stallions, South Jersey Barons & Jersey Falcons)) On an international stage if the MetroStars would win the MLS Cup or the Supporters Shield with the club leading the league with the most points after the end of the regular season (Like the President's Trophy is awarded to the NHL club that leads the entire league with the most points at the end of the regular season) the MetroStars can get involved with tournaments inside CONCACAF in the Champions Cup tournament and face other clubs that play in other countries like Mexico, Jamaica, Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala and so on, and so on. This stadium is also available to host US Men's & Women's National Team games that are exhibitions or World Cup Qualifiers, to prepare our National Teams to help qualify for future World Cups. If you can help push this bill for approval and construction starts A.S.A.P. this stadium could be ready for a World Cup Qualifying game in 2005 so our Boy's can be ready for 2006 in Germany and the girls World Cup in 2007 whenever that will be scheduled.

The reason the my fellow soccer fans want this stadium in Harrison and not to remain in the Meadowlands is that we are sick and tired of being looked at by the anti-social as well as the anti-soccer antics of the Meadowlands security and the board of directors of the NJSEA. Yes that includes President Zoffinger. I'm not talking about being patted down before I enter Giants Stadium to make sure I don't carry anything that could be used as an explosive, I agree with it and I cooperate with them, but once I enter the stadium it's a different situation. Because the stadium isn't filled to the brim of the Upper Deck it's easier for them to pick us out and to harass us for nothing. Just because we are here for the MetroStars and not for the Giants or the Jets. Every time I go inside Giants Stadium for a Jets NFL Football game with a Jets jersey on me, there is no problems what so ever, but if I go to watch a Soccer game with my MetroStars Jersey or my US National Team jersey I get scrutinized. At the same time NJSEA who put in the grass field with the tray system, refuse to make the field 100% safe and replacing bad trays with new ones during the start of the soccer season because they don't want to help the MetroStars gain any advantage to win a championship. There have been times when one of our players slipped on the near side of the field where the benches are at the sidelines and he injured his right leg with a pulled muscle, that was bad grounds keeping on the part of the Meadowlands as well as last season failure of the XFL at Giants Stadium when there was barely a blade of grass remaining and it was all dirt. MetroStars were on the field playing after the NY/NJ Hit Men only season was done, and they had to endure as well as the rest of the league an ugly and dangerous dirt field that could have seen a lot of injuries, but thankful didn't happen.
    Now there could be possible playoff games schedule during Mid september and they are blocked by the NJSEA because of the Rolling Stones concert tour coming to Giants Stadium in the middle of September. The NJSEA knew this and they are forcing the MetroStars to find an alternate home for their playoff games.

Also reading on New Jersey Online's website an article about how the NJSEA and Former Governor Christi Todd Whitman's Husband brokered a deal to pay both the New Jersey Nets of the NBA & the New Jersey Devils of the NHL to play at the Continental Airlines Arena. In all my life I have never heard of two professional sports teams getting paid by the Arena owners to play in their arena. Isn't it usually the professional teams that pay rent money to the owner of the Arena to play there, unless the owner of the teams also owns the Arena like the Dolans own the NY Rangers & NY Knicks as well as owning Madison Square Garden. Learning that the board of the NJSEA was embezzling money from the Meadowlands as well as stealing free gas that's suppose to be used for their emergency vehicles and security vans as well as their construction vehicles. Why am I writing about this, I was a former stock holder in the NJSEA and to find out that my money was being taken because of these suits in the board of NJSEA who have used their powers unwisely, as well as taking the rent money from the MetroStars & the NY Jets to help bribe the Nets & Devils to continue playing their games at the Continental Airlines Arena. It's true that I got my money back, but I am very angry that this was allowed to happen as well as I am unhappy for my former fellow stockholders.

All I ask as well as my fellow MetroStars fans ask that this project goes thru in the Senate to continue the growth of the sport in the USA to help the MetroStars make a profit so they can breathe as well as Major League Soccer to breath. MetroStars can control their own schedule and they wouldn't have to worry about the interference of the NFL and let's not forget that the strength of the US National Teams in their continued fight and hopeful achievement in winning the World Cup. I know my friends and family will love going to Harrison to enjoy a day of shopping, possibly eating at new restaurants and if this project does go thru maybe I might move to Harrison to live in the new area where the stadium is. One thing is for sure, Harrison will be my new destination for sports and entertainment.

15. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Dear Senator,

Build the Metro Stadium or Ill vote your ass out.

Sincerly,
    Voter

16. metrosarenumberone

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    i would say build it or we refuse to support new jersey.

17. Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Diego's boots
    Is there any timescale for this proposal?

18. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

fixed your letter if James decided to try to get senators of his side.....

19. metrosarenumberone

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    why do we want a newark arena anyways, screw the arena and just get a soccer stadium built. there is nothing wrong with continental airlines.

20. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    .... Where the F did this guy come from

21. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    well, if James doesn't get the arena in Newark....he'll make it so there aren't enought votes for the Harrison project....

22. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
  23. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I would suggest that letters be be concise and to the point: the stadium's value to Harrison project, and to the community at large. One page is best; these people haven't the time or patience to read more than that.

Support the project; don't waste time denegrating NJSEA and the Meadowlands.

24. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worth reiterating. From the first page:
    The bill is Senate #1401 / Assembly #2352. In your letter say at the start that you SUPPORT S1401 / A2352, creating a Sports and Entertainment District in Harrison. Boldface it, italicize it, underline it. That is the most important thing. If the Senator's office doesn't get beyond that sentence, they will get why you're writing.

25. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

PSUdude-

Keep your rascist sh!t out of the Metro forum. It's not funny in the least, and I pray that people don't think that you represent Metros fans or ESC people.

Obie-sorry to cut into your hard work on this thread. It's much appreciated.