Impending Trouble? Teams qualifying for the Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by aerez, Jan 26, 2010.

1. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This thread takes me back to a point raised in the 'future of Argentina' players thread, where it was mentioned that Batista blames the clubs aren't training their young players enough.

MSI mentions that the teams are only considered about winning and they DT don't train their youth enough.

In the Liberatores this year there are 5 Brazilian clubs, the regulars you would expect. The big four River, Boca, Racing and Independence aren't even representing. Only Velez and Estudiantes are representing Argentina, with Colon De Santa Fe fighting for placement (right now). If we're lucky we'll have 3 teams in the Copa Libertadores.

Since the 90's the Brazilians have turned around their winning mentality, but just because they've turned it around doesn't mean anything. In the last decade they've only won it twice and it's mostly been Argentinian, Mexico or Peruvian teams that have stopped many of the Brazilian teams in their tracks. A Brazilian team has never beat an Argentinian team in the last decade to win the Championship. That's a fact.

However, now and more and more Brazilians are having more presence in the competition, whereas, the Argentinian teams that should be there aren't.

How can the teams be considered about winning if they can't even qualify.
    All I have to say is thank goodness for the smaller teams representing Argentina.

Something is wrong.

2. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Impending Trouble?Teams qualifying for the Copa Libertadores

Newell's plays tomorrow to qualify. Banfield is already in at the top of group 6. Lanus is in at the top of group 4. So we already have 4 teams in and could get 6. I know its not the traditional clubs (San Lorenzo would be in there too although they've never won) but yest it is kind of worrying none of the usual big clubs are in it. I think Velez is the only team poised to make a run. Not sure if Estudiantes with the likes of Veron, Desabato and Brana have enough in the tank to go deep again.

3. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Colon is tied 1-1 with Universidad Catolica at half time. I hope they can make it in so we have more Arg clubs in the tournament

4. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Yeah. Argentinian clubs are in deep trouble. They have a club that won it four (4) times in the last decade and the reigning champ is Estudiantes ... that just to make it rhyme numerically, won its 4th last year.

Needless to add that an Argentine team also lost a final in this past decade. (Yes they can lose finals too).

As to the number of clubs representing a nation, it is in relation to their strength as league. Argentina has 5 spots allocated, 4 direct and one thru playoff. This year, since Estudiantes has to defend their title, Argentina earns an extra spot that goes to the playoffs. In synthesis, 4 direct and 2 playoff.

As to the big clubs, they are 5 (where have you been the last 20+ yrs ... or whenever you were born? :D ) Yes, non of them are in the Libertadores this year. So? Less interest for Libertadores TV audience in Argentina. Who wins? The gov't and their broadcast of the local league ... they are the only ones showing the big 5 in competition this semester. Expect higher audiences of the tournament due to this.

5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Here's the list of rankings to qualify to the Copa Libertadores 2011, if anyone is interested:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/futbol/copas?league=ARG.1&ver=lib

Bear in mind that Argentinos Jrs. (Clausura 2010 champion) and the winner of the Apertura 2010 will qualify automatically. Besides them, the top 3 Argentinean teams in the general rankings will participate.

6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown

Hi, this is somewhat off-topic, but, do you know if the 2010 Nissan Cup Champion earns a Group Stage or Preliminary berth to next year's Lib?

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

So, if an Argentine club wins it, would they qualify in addition to the three at large berths, or would they take one of the three spots?

I guess that is more incentive to take Copa Sudamericana seriously.

8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown

Yes, it is in addition to the spots they already have, just like with the defending champion's berth. Argentina can potentially have 6 spots. Brasil can potentially have 7.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Copa_Libertadores

But no one knows if it will be a Group Stage berth or Preliminary. I hope it's preliminary.

9. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

well if the Libertadores started today, the 5 participants would be:
    Estudiantes
    Godoy Cruz
    Argentinos
    Velez
    Banfield

Now i look at this as a problem because we saw how badly the smaller teams did in the Copa last year.

Colon and Newell's couldn't even qualify for the group stage, and Lanus was a joke in the group stage.

The big teams have improved, but have they done enough to make it to the copa? if they don't we're looking at another really poor year from argentine clubs

10. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It doesn't matter anybody can still win it.

No matter how they want to make it look like either, Estudiantes isn't a big club. Enough with the bitching of the "small clubs playing the cups" already.

11. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well Estudiantes isn't a big club, but they have a lot of history and they had Veron...

don't tell me that Godoy Cruz is capable of such feats...

12. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Godoy Cruz hasn't lost a game at home since October of last year, they are undefeated this season and are one of the most solid teams in Argentina this year. I am not arguing they can win the Copa, but they can most certainly make a run. Besides, what is your proposal? should small teams not play even if they qualify above the "bigger" teams? I don't see the point in the complaining.

13. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well everybody that won it at least once had to win it for the first time, we'll see, also we're just halfway of knowing who'll qualify.

Also big clubs had their share of disastrous performances in the recent times and back in the day too.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, maybe we can call them a "medium" club. They've certainly had more international success than some of the "big" clubs.

I am happy if small clubs earn the right to play La Copa. It shows the depth of Argentine futbol. What I don't like is when a small club does well, qualifies for La Copa, and then dismantles the team.