impeding, holding, or nothing?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Stan, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Stan

Stan New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    PA
    U15 boys game last weekend, reasonably skilled teams. White challenged red for the ball and popped it loose, no foul so far. Both players half fall down (hands on the ground). However, in the aftermath, white's foot hooked red's foot, preventing red from moving towards the ball. Red was actively trying to break loose and get to the ball, but was unable to do so. At that point I blew a foul and awarded a free kick to red.

My thought was that this was holding, rather than tripping, and thus a DFK was proper. However, I wondered if this was more properly impeding, for an IDFK. White, of course, thought it was nothing.

Any thoughts on whether this sort of action should be considered impeding or holding? ...or nothing at all?

2. BentwoodBlue

BentwoodBlue New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Dela-where?
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The big thing is contact.
    Impeding has no contact. Once there is contact is it obstruction, holding or tripping (or attempting to trip) Holding or tripping could have easily been called in what you described. Sounds like you made the right call.

3. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good explaination EXCEPT that 'obstruction' is nothing but an older term for 'impeding'...one in the same.

GOOD CALL Bentwood!

Scott

4. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    I agree your call is correct. Way too much contact to even consider impeding. But...the way you phrase your statement leaves me to believe you consider holding a penal foul and tripping not. Regardless, this is clearly tripping, not holding and either would result in a DFK.