News: Impact Sub - OGS The New Gaffer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Good article, very direct from the author

3. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    This is a pretty balanced summary of what Ole has done and what the options are moving forward.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  4. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a hard time believing things will be any different this time next year. We're stuck in this meh loop of bang average that's always sprinkled with a top 4 or a promising failed Cup run. It's getting harder and harder to look forward to the new season with this Glazer/Ole/Woody stew of stagnation. Ole is too much of a company man to make waves and giving Woody another summer window is setting the table for another season of mediocrity. This has got to be make or break for Ole and hopefully he manages like someone who is fighting for his job.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ole may just be a steady the ship guy and not a mountain top guy. I want him to be the latter but he has to improve key areas or find an assistant that can. His current crew ain't cutting it.

jnielsen repped this.
  6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Hold your horses till next season...we all know the club need reinforcements.

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I was just making a statement. I, like you, want to see if with a proper roster of players that can actually challenge

Anonymous_United repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i am glad some of you guys still want to offer support of some form based on recent posts here and the transfer thread.

i'm good though. that final was it for me. there are ways to lose a final and that was not one of them. that was utterly embarrassing for the club.

we lost to a side that was too afraid to attack. it's like being in the showcase showdown of price is right and your opponent was so scared they bid $4 to avoid overbidding and then you say well let me play it even safer and bid $3 and lose.

it wasn't a secret either. Arsenal in the previous round 2nd leg was the exact same thing and yet we didn't learn a thing from it.

worse it was on such a special day for the club historically. i won't shit on him (as i don't like to see that done to legends) if he stays but if he goes so be it.

and no not an overreaction. the season worked out that so much hinged on the one final and we failed to deliver. just as 1999 is so magical for that final and the way it was won this one is equally as devastating for the way it was lost.

unacceptable for me

jnielsen repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I want him to be backed this summer, not just because I want us to bring in some good players, but because we'll never be able to judge him properly if we don't. If we fail to spend this summer and we finish with a similar season, it'll be easy to blame it on the squad. If he gets his guys and fails, it's on him and we need to move on.

Red Jeph and Deadtigers repped this.
  10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    United did struggle with teams that parked the bus and much of that has to do with the lack of attacking width. This past season Ole made a brave decision with Pogba at left-wing and helped to elevate Shaw's game in trying to address this problem. He tried to make it work when possible, but in the final that big hole on the right and how Rashford had disappointed, despite the faith that was given to him, cost United more in the end than Ole's conservative tactics I felt--not that his approach helped any.

Maybe there's a question to be asked of OSG's mettle. There's an argument to be had he bottled it against Leipzig in the UCL. For a team United had beaten 5-1, that was a bigger disappointment.

United didn't go into these games with the kind of confidence needed to win and maybe that's a reflection on Ole. The 2019 win over PSG might suggest differently, but Ole was still a caretaker at that point who hadn't put his own proper stamp on the team. PSG, for their part, have never been a side with a strong character. Only PSG can beat Barcelona 4-1 and then lose 6-1 on the return.

I think Ole is a good manager, but compared to someone like Zidane who took a poor Madrid team to the UCL semis, he's got some way to go still. I don't know if it's just a question of getting the right staff who can handle the nuts and bolts of training and preparedness for games. It could be a question of belief and confidence too, of being bold and putting it all out there, getting that confidence to permeate to his players like Rashford who probably need that. Maybe Ole doesn't have enough of that quality. That's how Zidane took a lot of players who were getting a bit too on and still got something almost miraculous out of them when other managers were letting Madrid slip to embarrassing defeats. He got this Madrid side to really believe in themselves.

11. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    I certainly hope Ole can bounce back at least for next even though I don't think he is the right man for the job after the EL final debacle but I feel we do have something with this squad and could be built upon. I am willing to give him another season but like pretty much like everyone says we need something tangible from Ole to show he can manage at this level.

The thing that worries me the most when it is time to let Ole go who is going to pick the next manager... Woodward is on the way out and Murtough isn't really in the position to pick manager (he is at the same level as Ole based on the organization chart, iirc).
    It all goes back to the lack of direction from the Glazers that keep this club from moving forward.

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Now that Ole's got Sancho, what's going to be the excuse for underperformance if it happens this year?

14. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pogba

15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    It will not happen. Let's go back a minute, what is underperformance if he does get Varane Camavinga and now has Sancho? Anything below a second place in EPL, a cup win (preferably FA cup), and semi final Champions league is a failure.

16. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    To me it's not just the competition outcomes it's how he gets them to perform on the pitch. How often do we actually look confident that we're going to win the game, or take it by the scruff of the neck?

I want us to start playing like a big team again

jnielsen repped this.
  17. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Like I said previously, this team progression of the team reminds me of the 06-07 season onwards. The players have more experience under their belt, and add a few new faces with quality, that will come.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1168 johno, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Just say you hate Ole. Ole has led us to more dominant victories than every post SAF manager combined, x2. Ole has flaws, he's not perfect, but to say that we don't look confident under him is WILD. We look more confident under Ole down a goal with 30 minutes left than we look up 2 goals under Mourinho.

EDIT: like even Ole's harshes critics say he doesn't have tactics, just vibes. The tatics part is horse shit, he absolutely has tactical ideas but the vibes bit is like first and foremost his strength. He's got all the players believing in themselves and in the team.

Red Jeph repped this.
  19. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The other managers were even worse though!
    Moyes I genuinely hate him for being so stupid.
    LvG was just disappointing because I was so hyped for a post Moyes change.
    Mourinho well we all know that too.

But with Ole why have we had to go behind so many times to only come back after changes have been made/half time? Why have we choked twice in the Europa league against teams lesser than us because we've played scared?

Yes I will give that Ole has done well agains teams like City, but why against lesser teams are we constantly having to come from behind?

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    @Holy__Joe if you think about it, it isn't surprising. Ole is good at coaching attackers and counter-attacking. He has an idea about how he wants us to defend and how/when/where to win the ball back. However, he has clears struggles when it comes to more structured build up play and breaking down a deep block.

That's why we play cautiously against teams that sit deep. He knows we will struggle to break down bunkers. You can say that it is his job to develop a system to beat these teams. You'd be right.

I think though that if you take stock of what was here when he took the job and what he's been able to do, I think it is fair to say that we've made progress each season.

He arrested the free fall. He restored confidence. He got us to beat bad teams, he got us to beat good teams. He's struggled to get us to beat good teams who focus all their energy on defending. I think while that is disappointing, please consider that those teams are by and large, the hardest teams for most big teams to beat. Remember Wolves had the best record in the league against the big 6 a couple years ago?

There's an argument to be made that Ole has completed his assignment. He was needed as a manager to get us out of our funk and heal us and make the team palatable as a project. We are there now.

I think maybe it is wrong to say we 'owe' him a shot to see if he can be the manager that completes the project. Ole's the only manager we've made progress with since Fergie. Any top manager we hire would demand a bunch of money to bring in players he wants for his system. I think it makes sense to see what Ole can do if we have a functioning midfield pivot and a dominant attack with a competent defense.

If we don't win a trophy this season, cut our losses, but one season with a functioning pivot and the proper pieces in attack isn't too much to risk given the shit we've had to put up with till now.

Sofabloke and Anonymous_United repped this.
  21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he's not in my good books anymore but what i will say in his defence is as much as people might not like the counter attack focused game the reality of it is a midfield of McTominay + Fred is just not going to dominate or control a game and that is not limited to the top 6. neither is Pogba plus either of those or Matić.

counter heavy emphasises our strengths and lessens Rashford's hero mode stuff a fair bit. time will tell if Sancho + Bruno is enough to crack bunkers to the point of a style change

johno repped this.
  22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think Sancho is at his best during counters but I think he will help significantly in more steady build up as well due to a few factors:

Where he receives the ball: he holds width to act as an outlet or comes deep
    Gravity: he's a great dribbler, teams will close him down with 2 or 3 players
    Unselfishness: he is a pass-first star and the results will be great
    Movement: he's dynamic and will drag players out of position

23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    johno and Anonymous_United repped this.
  24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    @Sofabloke Apart from Mata i got all right ...

Sofabloke repped this.
  25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007

Good.

Sofabloke repped this.