News: Impact Sub - OGS The New Gaffer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    We keep getting performance bumps from coaching changes. The front office will continue to press their luck with changing coaches. Nothing is going to change any time soon.

2. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    With Nagelsmann, the team would need an overhaul. He would need a grace period like the one Klopp enjoyed at Liverpool.

Allegri and Pochettino are more capable of working with the hand they are given.

My only complaint against Allegri was how he mishandled Pirlo while at Milan. That decision kick started Juventus dominance this past decade. To Allegri's credit, he did make it work with Pirlo at Juventus, and took them to a UCL final twice.

Pochettino I felt blew it for Tottenham in 2016 when they were chasing Leicester for the title. That was their golden chance to win a title and I'm not sure they'll get another chance like that. He reminds me a lot of Kevin Keegan. At a minimum, he will make United more fun.

They are good managers, despite the above complaints. Pochettino would probably do a better job of putting Bruno, van de Beek, and Pogba on the same pitch. Allegri would instill better defensive organization, but I think at the cost of United's attacking flair. Between the two, Pochettino gets my vote.

I would agree Nagelsmann is the best choice if United want to play to Liverpool's level, but United could still take on the likes of Liverpool in a more defensive fashion and still win under a manager like Ole, Deschamps, or Allegri. With Pochettino and Nagelsmann, they can try to go toe-to-toe.

3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LA. MAN UNITED and Anonymous_United repped this.
  4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A pretty good summary of where we are and how we got here;

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I like Ole but lets have a look at that table on December 31.

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Considering the extra challenges of this season (compressed nature, no pre-season, CL so no easy squad rotation, poor summer window etc) I think we will continue to see some odd results in this league.

This season has been and will continue to be more of a test of teams squad depth and manager rotation (linked to schedule). Two factors we are not good with - squad depth is poor in many areas (FB, DM, CB, RWF) and Ole wants to win too hard so will overplay some key players especially if we remain in CL.

There will be a price to pay in Dec/Jan/Feb with injuries for some teams if previous years are anything to go by.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Zonal marking especially our near-post vulnerability needs addressing - how many more games of conceding these before some changes?

jnielsen repped this.
  10. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just wondering how long until Poch is signed by Real and we're left wondering what/who to do next.

At this point, can we really argue that Poch wouldn't at least improve things? Even if the real problem is Ed and the Board.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Crazy season where anything could happen. But I'll wait until the turn of the year to see where are then, and hope we can seriously challenge for a top 4 spot.
    Being knocked down to the EL is doing us no favors, unless we use it to play our fringe and younger players.

CybrSlydr and SF19 repped this.
  12. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So do we go with the number of players or with the majority of the players? Gotta love that language they use on us knuckleheads.

I am going to side on whichever side Maguire is not on. Lol

13. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So definitely against Ole then. :ROFLMAO:

14. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maguire was a Mou guy, if you remember. But then, I think you are too. ;)

15. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    If another manager comes in, some of these players could be deemed surplus to requirements.

16. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FYP and now you are ready to be a Twitter reporter.

benni... and Chaz Striker repped this.
  17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    If Naglesmann were to come, and given the kind of game he would want to play, no question he'd make a lot of changes over a couple of transfer windows. As far managers go, he'd probably be one of the few who could genuinely keep pace with what Klopp is achieving at Liverpool.

18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Managers making changes over transfer windows is more in the hands of the Glazers and our Chief Exec than the manager.

Is for example why we still have dead-weights like Rojo, Jones. Why we continue to miss many of the targets these managers put on their wish-lists.

That was the case for LVG, Mou and Ole - a different manager will not change that. Whoever is next will still have to work with those constraints sadly.

19. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly. Certain player, like Maguire for example, were targeted by the last manager and then purchased for the new manager. How much input the managers have in purchases at United is anyone’s guess. Guys like Herrera, Pogba, and Sanchez seem more like club buys than manager buys. Thinking about it, I was going to say Daniel James was an Ole buy but seems like the cheap Chicharito-type bargain United has been stacking up on in the recent past.

20. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Much of that is true, but if a manager has a set philosophy and the hierarchy buy into it, then they'll need players who fit that philosophy.

As an example, Werner could possibly have become United player if Nagelsmann were in charge. We might be talking about a team now that progressed into the knockout stages of the UCL too.

I think if Nagelsmann doesn't end up at United, he will probably end up at an English rival and he would probably have a similar effect Klopp has had at Liverpool.

This United side is still very strong and capable of success with or without Nagelsmann. If Cristiano signs in swap deal for Pogba, I could even see the club sticking it out with Ole and challenging for titles. If Bruno can take United from midtable to top four under Ole, Cristiano might be that difference to push the club even further, whether the manager is Ole, Pochettino, or whomever.

21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cristiano won't have us challenging for titles.

Ole is not a premiership winning manager.

Bruno's impact is not enough to push us into a perennially top four position his impact last season notwithstanding.

We are too dysfunctional and incomplete in so many different areas.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another report which supports those made earlier in the week. Unless we see a catastrophic dip in form and results, I don't expect to see a change being made until the end of the season at the earliest (if we don't secure CL qualification then).
    Really not hard to see us continue yo-yoing, alternating poor play and results with good periods of form. At minimum, it will be enough to keep the dream of top 4 alive. Whether we can get it done (or use the EL win backdoor) still remains to be seen though.
    We may not have a title contending squad just yet, but I still believe it is good enough to compete for top 4 and even a trophy. I don't doubt either the reports that Ole is probably liked by and large, amongst the players. Definitely not the best tactically but he's a good enough man manager and I imagine he's got most of the players close. After all, they still clearly play for him, at least when the chips are down and we haven't seen them consistently downed tools just yet.
    Oddly enough, I think the chances of Poch being available in May/June have increased significantly with Real and PSG both avoiding elimination in the CL. So that could work for us, as Ole for all intents and purposes, has the remainder of the season to save his job.

23. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
  24. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our squad is good enough to finish top 4. Our management and coaching is not. Look at how many times we start slow or don't have any idea what we doing until the second half.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No disagreements. Just pointing out that Bruno's involvement is not enough as you pointed out management and coaching is a hindrance

Amdrag repped this.