News: Impact Sub - OGS The New Gaffer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The formations used are very dependant of who is playing. The 4-3-3 for instance should almost be a given when Pigs is playing, but it does not mean it necessarily should be the go-to when he isn't (not with the players we have available).
    Ole still may have a chance to solidify his position with me at least, if we start seeing some actual progress results wise, meaning he figured out how to handle mid to lower level teams and not just the tip 5-6 ones. He also has to show growth in his methods and tactics, by showing a minimum of tactical acumen and improved in-game management. He is found wanting in both areas, if we're being honest.
    The bottom line is that those who want him out, have not come to this decision on a whim, or for no valid reasons (for most at least). He's been in charge for a year and had a superb start where his decisions made perfect sense (and the results backed that very clearly). However, once he got the job on a permanent basis, he started going away from what made him successful. Injuries played their part, but again some of them were in a way of his own doing, with the players obviously overworked and burnt out (the number of muscular injuries alone are ample proof of that fact).
    And he doesn't look like he's learned going into this season with the team as a whole looking even more limited than last season, with the counter attack, the only set way of playing in terms of style. There is no nuance or ability to play differently when the circumstances demand it.
    Even our defense which was supposed to be improved this season, has actually regressed, despite the fact that we spent 130mil, with the supposed crown jewel in Maguire (who really was suppose to transform our backline), looking worst than he has in the last 2-3 seasons. If Ole had a super assistant at least, who would be able to make up for his deficiencies, it would be one thing but, possibly McKenna aside, he doesn't even have that.
    As it's been said multiple times, everyone is aware that the problems go way beyond just the manager, but we can't delude ourselves that it's not one nonetheless. And with the availability of a top echelon guy who appears like a great fit, something that could not be said on one level or another with any of the guys post SAF, it would not make any sense to improve where we can.
    It probably will not be the ultimate or final answer, or a cure-all, but at least we will have addressed an issue, as best we can, which would be a start and possibly put us firmly on the right path.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ole recently spoke about needing to get a quality midfielder in to improve the team's play in build up.

I think currently Ole's best position might be assistant manager, DoF or just a first team coach because it is clear to me there are gaps in his development as a manager. He doesn't know how to coach build up and he has no clue how to beat a low block.

On the plus side, he knows that! Getting in quality players in the midfield is typically half the battle, but all we have to do is find one Fernandinho, Carrick, Jorginho, Kante etc level CM. Obviously easier said than done, but not impossible. If he can make sure we make good signings, get rid of rubbish and focus on getting the best out of our attacking players, there will be a base to build on. I don't know if he has the scope to become better at this job but if he doesn't, he needs to get his version of Quieroz. He needs a midfield/buildup whisperer. I don't know if Carrick is far enough along his journey as a coach or how much of a role he has, but he clearly has an understanding that, if imparted, could help the team.

The remaining area of interest to me is midfield and kids. It is where he's given the least opportunity. To be expected I suppose, but if we do swap the 4231 for a 433, we're going to need more bodies and at that point it would be ridiculous for the kids not to be getting a look in. Garner>>McTominay for me. For every header or physical duel that he will lose, he'll avoid 2 with his speed of thought.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I cant for the life of me understand why Ole persists with a 4-2-3-1. If you looked at our team and said whats our biggest weak point it would be that we have ZERO creativity in midfield while Pogba is out. So then why does Ole continue to play a formation that centers around having a very good 10 as the link between midfield and attack?

Is it lack of flexibility in the system he wants to play? Lack of understanding of the formation? Lack of understand of our players? Especially with Pogba and McT out, why wouldnt you play a 4-3-3 with someone like AP to give the midfield an extra 8 that can help cover for Matic and provide another outlet for the back 4 building out of the back?

I get that we lack a ton of quality and different options and thats on Woodward to resolve. But he has to start using the players he has better and understand our strengths and weaknesses. If you insist on a 4-2-3-1 then Woodward needs to know this is the priority and you cant play your style until you get it. But don't play that way if we dont have players with the ability to play that role. Its baffling.

jnielsen and Amdrag repped this.
  5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The only thing i can think of, is we don't have enough bodies for rotating, if we use single pivot. Hell, we dont even have a single pivot (definitely not Fred or Mctominay).

We have

Pogba/Andreas
    Fred/Mctominay
    Matic/Garner

Im all in favor of playing kids, but not as the lone 6.

Sofabloke repped this.
  6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would like to believe it to be true in any way, but I just do not see it. As a matter of fact, I think that, in a very real way, our latest injury issues with 2 of our top CMs, are a godsend to him. As it's another ready made excuse if things do happen to go south (which they really could this coming month).
    The inconsistency, no real tactical plan (except for hitting teams on the counter whenever possible) and the constant preventable mistakes (with player selection as an example), have run their course with me.
    Still fine with giving him the remainder of the season to prove himself, but as previously mentioned, I want the team ready to move if necessary by season's end with an alternative if the same thing we've seen all season so far, goes on the rest of the way.
    I mean, what are we doing here, settling for mediocrity while everyone else around us is actively striving to get better in one way, form or fashion....

jnielsen repped this.
  8. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What manager would do well with AP, Fred and Matic as midfield options? Ole has his short comings for sure but the fact remains we have failed to provide him with an adequate squad. We’re likely to not sign anyone in Jan so that would be two windows where we ignore the need for a midfielder. Going back further, that would be 5 windows where we haven’t backed the manager at all. No manager will be successful under this current set up.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #885 Ashur, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Ole to speak to Pogba about Raiola's comments.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...o-criticise-man-utd-says-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

Interesting to see Ole showing his darker side in today's presser: getting testy about ? re Pogs, responding to RvP's criticism and Raiola's comments.
    Nothing wrong with it at all of course (personally think it's good to see even): he's never really showed that side before, outwardly and in public that is.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    #886 doubletrouble, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Didn't get angry after the shameful loss but got angry as fcuk with RVP's comments. What a fcuking clown. Can't believe I had his long sleeve top and was such a fan. I never thought he would coach the club and be so awful at it

12. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, over the wrong shit. He is pissy with RVP, who just said he wanted to see him show some anger after another crap performance. Ole is playing a really poor game of deflection.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It doesn’t seem genuine. Seems like he’s pretending to be angry just to show he can be.

Amdrag repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't sign anyone this month and Ole will all but prove himself to be the 'yes man' some thought him to be, if he doesn't say something about it. And no, the idea is not for him to go full Mourinho and blatantly/publicly go to war with Woodward and the board. But it's about giving him what he needs to try and do his job to the best of his abilities (regardless of what one may think about them).
    The midfield obviously needs to be addressed and there are viable targets who are there for the taking: it's about making it happen. No help forthcoming this month and we could out of a couple of cup competitions (which I imagine Ole wants to try to win pretty bad). Not to mention, our league position could be in serious jeopardy as well. He can't just lie down and take it...

jnielsen repped this.
  15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If I have to hear Ole be overly positive about pure shit one more time I’m gonna lose it. For him to praise the players after a shotless display is trash. I know it’s just his personality, but it’s still incredibly annoying.

But what will really piss me off is after the winter window passes and we don’t bring in another midfielder, if I have to hear him praise Woodward and go on about how tough the winter window is. It will piss me off to no end.

doubletrouble and Amdrag repped this.
  16. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is acting with a sense of urgency. Ole isn't worried about losing his job and the players aren't worrying about being dropped. His turd polishing skills are evident in finding positives in these shit shows we're producing.

17. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep. At some point it is too much. Personally, I already got there. Because it becomes a game of how nothing Ole does can be considered wrong. He's "protecting the players" while he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Shitting on Ed and management worked well for Jose.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we need proof of how a proper manager who actually knows how to coach, does make a difference, we need to look no further than Pool and today's match vs Everton.
    None of their big guns and regulars started and while they did not have the quality they usually have, the football and the style, by and large remained the same. Everything we see regularly from this Pool team: the forward intent, the intensity, the pressing, it was all on display today.
    The fact that they were playing a weakened and inexperienced team didn't matter, nor did it fundamentaly change or affect their gameplan and approach. As previously stated, we can lament the squad being short and lacking personnel wise in some areas. But if we have a manager at the helm who is obviously limited in terms of his tactical acumen, it's as much as an issue as far as I'm concerned.

doubletrouble repped this.
  20. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Stop speaking factual stuff.

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Aside from the obvious screw ups by Ole this season, can anyone tell him what contributions Michael Carrick has made from a coaching standpoint since he moved into that role? Our midfield was shit under Jose and has gotten worse under Ole. I guess you could maybe give him credit for some of what McT has been doing but if Ole fails at United, surely Carrick needs to get the boot as well.

JC7rox repped this.
  22. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Been saying this for ages. People wanted Giggsy on a spit for his role in the Moyes/LvG era. Hardly anyone’s made a peep of our shit midfields during the Carrick era.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United