impact of COVID on working as a referee

Discussion in 'Referee' started by funref13, Jun 10, 2020.

?

Impact of COVID-19 on you working as a referee

1. No impact

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. I will referee less games

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. I will shift to only officiating local or non-travel games

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I plan on not referring this season due to COVID-19

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    ^^^^^^

Voted 10, would rep again

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    So is the 48-hour test just once or before every game? The latter seems virtually impossible to do. I could see periodic tests. I could even see requiring masks for the unvaccinated, even U-12s and below (the game isn't quite as taxing at that age, anyway). But it seems like some places just want to make things as impractical and ineffective as possible.

It doesn't help that my media colleagues are fanning hysteria (breathless reporting on "breakthroughs") and conflict (amplifying the anti-vax, anti-mask voices).

And I'm still a little bitter that we didn't have theater last year, but wrestling went on as scheduled.

(I do think this'll pass by the time we hit indoor sports season. Look at India and a few other places that had a wave and then brought it back down in a hurry, even without vaccinations. That's the upside of a virus variant that spreads so rapidly and causes mild to no symptoms in most -- it'll hit everyone pretty fast, and that'll build up immunity.)

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    *sigh* while they changed it to 72 hours, it is 72 hours before each game that involve different teams for all players, coaches, and officials.

4. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from personal experience, outdoor transmission rate is non-zero. I was infected while running a practice national fitness test in January. We were running it Yo-Yo style because the school we went to had installed a fence around their track, so instead of leaving the guy who showed symptoms the next day behind, I kept turning and running through his respiration cloud.

Please continue to take precautions.

IASocFan repped this.
  5. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Do you have any symptoms? If so, you are in my prayers.

6. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @voiceoflg This was 8+ months ago. I had a fever for ~36 hours and my resting heart rate was 25% higher for 4 days. But it took me about a month before my stats while working out at OrangeTheory had recovered to pre-Covid levels.

voiceoflg and IASocFan repped this.
  7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yesterday LA County radically changed the protocols that go into effect tomorrow. Notably, participants who are vaccinated and asymptomatic will not have to tested, they replaced the 72 hour testing requirement with a weekly testing requirement for most contexts, and they are not requiring screening tests for those under 12 playing outdoor sports. Made it a lot more plausible for youth sports to take place.

Law5 repped this.
  8. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I have my first games assigned for 9/11/21 since March 2020.... So I've been hitting the track and trying to regain some amount of fitness. I know I need to catch up on the rule changes but if anyone has any cheat sheets to share, curious to read!

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Here's a set of slides on the major changes over the past two years (designed for an AYSO audience).

Attached Files:

IASocFan and rh89 repped this.
  10. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Thank you!

11. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you doing USSF or NFHS games? Here is a cheat sheet for NFHS games:

Indirect free kick:
    - An indirect free kick is the restart for certain types of fouls/misconduct (offside, dangerous play, pass back to the goalkeeper, etc.)

Drop Ball:
    - A drop ball is the restart for an unusual situation (injury, inadvertent whistle, dog on field, etc.)
    - Ball is only dropped to one player
    - If inside the penalty area, the ball is dropped to the defending team’s goalkeeper
    - If outside the penalty area, the ball is dropped to one player from the team that last possessed the ball
    - Opponents must be 4 yards from the ball (and outside the penalty area)
    - Remember change from last year, a goal cannot be scored directly from a drop ball

Goal Kicks and Free Kicks inside the penalty area:
    - Defensive free kicks and goal kicks are in play when the ball is kicked and moves (The ball doesn’t have to leave the penalty area)
    - Opponents must be 10 yards away and outside the penalty area
    - Note: Tapping the top of the ball with your foot does not put the ball into play (See Rule 18.1.o)

Penalty Kicks:
    - The goalkeeper only has to have 1 foot on or in line with the goal line during a penalty kick
    - The goalkeeper is not allowed to touch the goal posts, crossbar, or nets during a penalty kick

Ball out of play:

- The ball is now out of play when it hits an official and:
    o A team starts a promising attack
    o The ball goes directly into the goal
    o Possession changes

- Restart is a drop ball where the ball hit the official to the team last in possession

Referee signals:
    - If the referee doesn’t use the indirect free kick signal and the ball goes into the opponent’s goal, the kick is retaken

Defensive walls:
    - If 3 or more players are in a defensive wall, attacking players must be 1 yard from the wall until the ball is kicked

Equipment:
    - Shirts no longer have to be tucked in
    - Tooth and mouth protectors can now be white or clear in color

Other changes:
    - Definition of “obstruction” is changed to be different from “shielding.”
    - New referee positioning on corner kicks
    - New for 2021-2022: Religious head coverings don’t need state approval

rh89 and gaolin repped this.
  12. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR