News: Imaginémonos cosas chingonas - Vamos, Chicharito

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by MPNumber9, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LEM-LAG, shelbo, skydog and 2 others repped this.
  2. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping big things for him in the best LA club...

shelbo, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see people who are insecure about MLS have their panties in a wad again....

WarGalaxy and mbar repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wow, what a moment. Clearly he's a very open with his emotions and his family. It's hard for us MLS fans to hear what he is saying but I understand where he is coming from. This move is best for him but no one would confuse it for a step up in his career. And it's better for him to allow himself to mourn the likely end of his European career now and work through it so he is emotionally ready to move on and fully throw himself into his next challenge. My only question is why this was filmed and put out for public consumption? That seems like a PR decision made by handlers, a la the Kardashians.

Dawdler and shelbo repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I have now seen that the english translation is not correct - retirar can mean many things - most commonly used to say "to remove" "to take away" "To withdraw". So a more accurate translation could be: "I'm moving on from my European dreams."

WarGalaxy, Beirut, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I know very little about Chicharito because I don't really follow the Mexican Nats or the clubs he's played for in Europe. But watching that video makes me like him a little bit better. Here is a kid who has worked his ass off to play for some of the biggest clubs in the world. He's sacrificed a lot for that, as I'm sure his family has. I like seeing that level of passion and commitment to his dream. Now I hope he can find some new goals and dreams in LA. Maybe winning more MLS Cups that David Beckham did would be a good dream to have....

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Finally listened to this interview. Chicha is well spoken and will be a great face for the league. Damn I hope we can get the defense behind him so that his goals matter and we are at the top of the table. If we do the Galaxy and the league could be in for a few special years.

napper, shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's honest. Hate that a video like that is positioned so poorly.

In watching the interviews with him, I've been happy. He seems grounded, a locker room plus and like he's ready to go. It's the right attitude. Everything I've read about him says that he's a stellar individual. It will be nice to have someone that doesn't make you wince every once in awhile.

10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only thing that very slightly worries me about this is that the tone seems to be one of "well I guess I'm not good enough for Europe anymore...", which might play into his level of confidence if he doesn't have a fairly strong start. We've seen plenty of players come in who have found the logistics a slog and the style of play a little harder to adapt to than they anticipated.

He's always struck me as a conscientious guy though, so I've no worries about him coming here to take it easy. I still get the impression from the clip (he says "it's going to be amazing" at one point) that he's coming with the attitude that he's coming to play and make the best of it.

(you have no idea how many times I've rewrote this to get the sentiment right)

TOAzer, Namrog The Just, Berks and 3 others repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do because I get to read the posts you delete. :)

barroldinho repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing I now see is that he is very well spoken and has excellent English. He will be really good with the English and Spanish media.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You do? :cautious::cautious::cautious: Uh oh....

TOAzer, TrickHog and barroldinho repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That is the best description of the Ibra experience I've ever read.

napper, ProudNatRN, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can anyone summarize the article from the Athletic that goes over how the Chicharito deal materialized?

16. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never thought I would like him. I have disliked his whiney face and complaining every time the US has played him. Now that he is with us I have a lot of hope for him.

Listening to him speak I am happy that we have some positivity now. Zlatan was great at being flashy but I like that Javier is saying that he just wants to help the team win any way he can and that he isn’t coming here for the press and to get his goals and bounce.

He is very humble and thankful for the opportunity to play here. What really sealed the deal for me on coming around on him is when he named the great players that have played here he actually named Landon Donovan. He shows a level of respect to the club and league that we have been missing. I don’t even know if Zlatan knows who that is lol.

I hope he can show well. I don’t doubt with Pavon feeding him that he will do well. I wish we had another two strikers in our pool though. We can’t put everything on him especially since he’s a small guy.

Berks, napper, TOAzer and 4 others repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't bore anyone else with my thoughts on the defense, but I will say the positive is that we signed a player who seems, both on and off the field, to be part of a identity we're trying to build, down to his humility and dedication to the team. What I hope this signals is the (re)emergence of an LA Galaxy strategic identity based on team play that will allow us to not just score goals and play attractive ball, but to manage games we're winning!

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those should be tears of joy. How many of us can begin our "retirement" to the sweet sounds of "ChaChingarito!"??
    The man has got to count his blessings.

ShortyMac repped this.
  20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we could ask him directly as to which interpretation of "retirar" he had in mind. But that would be pointless [I think]. It is how determined is his play on the field that will show us his genuine frame of mind.

21. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone needs to get to him and tell him to stop saying retire lmao. He has talked about it multiple times now and made it worse each time.

in his ESPN interview with Herc he said any player heading into their 30’s is starting to think of their retirement.

I can understand where he is coming from and how honest he is being. It takes a lot of balls to put that out there about yourself and have that humility.

What I think he doesn’t understand is how deeply the fans and those involved in MLS are haunted by the outlook that we are a retirement league. We have been trying to get fans to watch and a portion of those that refuse and instead watch Euro soccer use that as part of their reasoning.

Like you said it’s best now to let that question die and see what he does on field.

The Cadaver, WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he retires after winning 3 or 4 MLS Cups, I will be quite happy....

23. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Apparently the Gs have sold 2x the number of season tix since Javier was signed compared to when Zlatan was signed in the same timeframe. I'm going to assume many of these new season tix holders are Mexican fans. This may come off sounding wrong, but I hope this won't mean we'll start hearing that p-word chant.

I've heard it from Gs fans here and there, but didn't notice anything really after Gio was signed. Hoping It won't be an issue moving forward with Javier being here.

MPNumber9 and skydog repped this.
  24. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it’s not a repeat of Gerrard, and this time we see section of all green El-Tri jerseys.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Havent had a chance to listen to this yet but hopefully i can later today

TrickHog repped this.