Image Owen on Arsenal! YEAH BABY!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Pennant/Owen trade, maybe? I hear Jermaine loves relegation... :D

3. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    who thinks we are capable of affording a player worth £8M, much less a player (according to some figures) to be in the bracket of £20M+?
    or were u takin a mick?

4. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Liverpool will do all they can to sell him to a non-English team IF it comes to that.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i rather suspect that owen's aspirations are not merely to participate in the champions' league; but also to succeed there.

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Problem 1: Liverpool will not let him walk on a "free"

Problem 2: Liverpool won't sell him to a Premiership rival

Problem 3: Arsenal certainly won't shell out what 'pool will want for Owen. He'll be overvalued to another English club, and Wenger doesn't overpay as a rule.

Problem 4: It ain't gonna' happen.

7. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    But look at it this way: He'll never lose a derby match!

8. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    owen said if he would ever leave liverpool, it would be to go abroad.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah...

I can dream, can't I???

Many Englishmen don't want to leave the best league and have to struggle with language issues abroad.

So where would he go? Real Madrid? Bayern Munich, Ajax???

Just shout out a club that you think would be a realistic destination.

10. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Realisticly...

Abroad or Liverpool~~

11. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    tee hee

Real 'Money' or Barca:)

12. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If LFC has any footie brains...

they would never allow Owen to leave. They should can Houllier ASAP and move some players.

Just an idea.

13. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Personally I'd rather not see Owen in an Arsenal kit unless (heaven forbid) Henry moves on. What do we need two skinny speedsters for? Besides, Owen is constantly out injured and with the club's current financial issues we don't need to pay anyone a bazillion pounds a week to stretch out on the trainer's table.

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like that tottenham fan said, i dont think owen would leave to a team that are JUST in the CL, rather he would want a team that could beat the power houses of russia and the ukraine.

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nice one.

ooooo...that one's gonna leave a mark....lol.

16. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not that important, but I've never seen a skinny guy easily shrug off a central defender thats on the ground and pulling the shirt.

17. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Personally speaking, I think he would be a great buy. The "fox in the box" that we have been lacking, and would take the pressure of TH14 on scoring "every goal".
    We are sooo slow at getting people forward into the box and TH14 stopping to read a paper out on the wing whilst awaiting re-inforcements that reached Custer before we got into the enemies 18 yard box.
    The "smart money" would be on Real Madrid to team up with Beckham. The provider and scorer in the same team! "Magic". Working at both club and international level I am sure that RM would get the best from both of them. Englishmen and foreign languages rarely go together, but if DB23 can learn Spanish then I am sure that Owen can! Our problem is the cash, without a "foreign backer". Although Liverpool wouldn't want to sell "at home" it depends on whether or not the player wants to depart for foreign shores.
    Just think of Sol Campbell!!! Could have earned more in Spain or Italy, but didn't want to leave "Blighty". AND he went to US!! Sperzzz deadly (and always winning derbies) rivals!! Don't say it can't happen!!

18. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON

Gotta be in it, to win it.

42 years? you're 'aving a laugh.

19. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    I reckon his Mrs put her foot down and told him she wouldn't leave London - Thank Gawd!!!

When I'm back in England I live about 10 miles away from Michael Owen. He bought up the best part of a street of houses in a small village, just over the border in Wales, and then gave one each to his mum, sister, brother etc, etc, etc. I'd be very suprised if he would stay at a club in the UK that wasn't within commuting distance. That means The Pool or ManUre, coz he ain't gonna go to Blackburn or Bolton! (London is 250 miles away?)

He should leave Liverpool. He's waited long enough for them to supply the honours that should be adorning his trophy cabinet. The thought of a switch to Real Money to join DB23 and play alongside Ronaldo must be very tempting; then Raul to Chelski?

20. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Why would Raul go to Chelsea? They already have four or five world class stikers anyway!

21. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Re: Re: Image Owen on Arsenal! YEAH BABY!

I know there's whatnot in the press, English and Spanish, about a possible move to Madrid, but I think it's impossible. They're not going to bench Ronaldo and Raul is the footballing icon of Spain. If Perez were to replace him anywhere near his prime he'd be booted out of there in a hurry. I don't think they could play with three forwards either, so I don't see it. Maybe he could be the savior for Barcelona.

22. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Owen goes anywhere then I'm sure that his first preference would be Real Madrid.

To me, it's all down to the politics of Madrid more than anything else. Firstly, Florentino Perez's stated ambition is to sign one more "Galactico" every season. Owen would easily fit the bill. And isn't Luis Figo's contract up either at the end of this season or the next? He could be lined up to move on. As for not being able to play with three strikers, Raul already plays as deep as any deep-lying striker, more often than not he's auxiliary midfielder as it is. If they could shore up their defence a bit I reckon they could get away with playing Raul behind Owen and Ronaldo. It's not as if Figo has ever heard of the phrase "tracking back" as it is.

I also reckon Owen would be great at Arsenal. Henry already likes to play as a support striker outside the box rather than in it, Owen would be the perfect foil, quick, a poacher and another Englishman to boot! But as with when Hasselbaink left Leeds, I don't think that Liverpool will sell him to another English club.

23. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    For some reason, I see him in Italy if Liverpool doesn't get things right.

Say Houllier cannot turn fortunes fast enough to get CL football, then Owen will leave, likely from a sale. My money would be that he'll go to Roma or Milan (who will dump Rivaldo) or Juventus, maybe, if they don't win the CL this time around.

I can't see him fitting with Ronaldo/Raul up front. Real needs defense, not offense. Eventually, one of those "Galacticos" will have to be a little less "galactico" than all the others, because he'll have to be a stalwart defender above all else. Already they look like having trouble holding opponents, which usually means no trophies.

Of course, Owen would be ideal for Arsenal, if money were no object: English, pacey, proven scorer, can use his head.

"C'mon, Mike. This shirt's red too!"

24. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    I can see him heading to Inter, since they have absolutely no creative flare these days, and with Vieri playing so poorly and at about 40% strenght.

25. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is talk today of Rivaldo re-newing his interest in going to Liverpool in January when the transfer window opens. Could that result in a player exchange plus cash?