I'm uploading classic game to youtube!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by 00Kevin, Dec 21, 2021.

1. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's Leg 1 of the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals in Full! Leg 2 coming Christmas Day!

dadman, Alejandro 10, Atouk and 5 others repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) thanx for the memories
    2) I loves me a 69th minute goal
    iii) forgot how beautiful that Etcheverry goal was [spoiler alert :)]
    D) no need to post Game 2, that game never happened; enjoy your xmas day instead

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  3. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here it is! Leg 3 next week

4. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's leg 3! Final showdown between the Crew and DC with an MLS CUP appearance on the line. Next week: The Tampa Bay Mutiny's last ever game!

I have quite a few old Crew vs. DC games, will be posting them sporadically over the next few months

Atouk, TowsonDad, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  5. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son and I were at that third game. Good times, good times…

00Kevin, John L and Winoman repped this.
  6. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend also marks 20 years since the Miami Fusion was folded. Here's their first game ever (And also Ben Olsen's first game ever!) available on
    Youtube in full for the first time.

Yowza, GlennAA11, Alejandro 10 and 4 others repped this.
  7. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember how in their last season, in a playoff game against them, Richie Williams got in El Pibe’s hip pocket and denied him any space at all. The Ankle-Biting Midget Of Death knew just how to mark a playmaker out of a game. Made me so proud. :D

00Kevin, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  8. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Diego Serna used to kill us

00Kevin, Alejandro 10 and dadman repped this.
  9. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda like that big-headed Taylor Twellman.

10. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For quite some time, Serna was most disliked opponent/MLS player.

dadman, 00Kevin, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  11. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    yeah, back in, what, 1999, I was bit upset to have him on our team - until someone pointed out we had D Sonora on our team, not D Serna! D'oh!

12. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This week's classic MLS upload is a midseason match from 2000 between The Columbus Crew and DC United! Enjoy

dadman repped this.
  13. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Its not video, but here is a written recounting of another Cowlumbus v DCU game from July 1997 - the story starts at page 159.

The writing is pretty darn good (gotta love the first sentence for the diary: "The Crew arrived in Washington for the matchup with the best club in MLS" - and it just gets better from there!) and its especially fun to get reacquainted with a bunch of long lost names: Maessner, Iroha, Garlick, Wegerle, Kellerman....

Addicted to Black & Gold: One Fan's Year with His Club and the World's Most ... - Chris Gallutia - Google Books

I found this quite fortuitously: the Athletic has an article on goals per game; one commenter asked about comparison with MLS so I started looking for data as well as a source for a story I remembered from VERY early on about Etch having some choice comments about MLS using a larger goal than the most common international size because the league was concerned American "fans" would not be enthusiastic of the low scoring in soccer....

dadman, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  14. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An iconic match at RFK stadium and Brian McBride's last meaningful game for The Crew.

Winoman repped this.
  15. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a terrific late-season game between the Crew and DC united from 1998. Featuring Stern John, Brian McBride, Jaime Moreno and Roy Lassiter! Video it fuzzy, but here it is:

Winoman and dadman repped this.
  16. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    #16 Section 107, Apr 28, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    I do believe that was the game I met the Venezuelan twins.... one of the announcers (Seamus?) with his flat affect reminds me a bit of the late Norm MacDonald.... funny to hear the comment "Gori, long balls not one of his strengths..."

Posting of these videos reminds me of something I wish they would have done at EagleBank Arena East (maybe do? eh, not holding any breath) is something similar to what Toluca has in their stadium in Mexico - a Hall of Fame that has a library, cafe/bar, huge display of all their hardware and tons of memorabilia from international games (but see note below) and a very cool ATM-like kiosk system in which you can pull up video of almost every game they ever played. You can search by date, team, player, etc.

* For a team over 100 years old, as you might imagine, their hardware cabinets are arranged in aisles - they take up probably over 80 feet in length. And they have a banner from every international team played (including NASL teams such as the Sting, Clash, and many more) and every Winner and Runner-Up trophy and even 3rd place "trophies" from every competition they have been in. But when I was last there (around 2010) there was one runner-up trophy they did not have on display - and no opponent banner either - the 1998 Concacaf Champions Cup. Too embarrassing I suppose. I am curious to see if it is displayed now.....

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too much to ask from this ownership group. They're too busy 'staying in their own lane, trying to spoil us.'

sitruc repped this.
  18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I gave up on my hopes for the Marco Antonio Etcheverry DC United Museum years ago. Did DCU ever find the trophy that was lost on the move to Audi Field?

sitruc and Winoman repped this.