I'm scared for Freddy Adu

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Doctor Stamen, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I'll get straight to the point here, I fear that too much pressure may be on Adu's shoulders. How old is he ? 14 ?, and already, despite not being old enough to smoke, drive, drink or have sex, or even making a 1st team appearence, he's already hailed as some kind of football God. To place so much expectation and pressure on someone so young is very dangerous, and there is a risk that they will:

1. Feel they can't live up to this expectation, feel they have to score a hatrick every match, and be MOTM every game. Otherwise, they'll be seen as a failure by themselves, and possibly those around them, thus leading to disillusionment and depression.

2. Let all the adulation go to their head, think they can do what they like, abuse their body with drink and/or drugs, get fat and burn out. Or end up in prison for drugs, aasault or rape.

With all this hype surrounding this 14 year old boy, these are real dangers. It seems he is destined to miss out on his childhood and teenage years, which can also be very damaging (e.g. Michael Jackson). So please people, give him some space to grow as a person, and not put him under such a spotlight.

2. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I can see where you're coming from but I think this is different. I'm a firm believer that you are only as good as the people you surround yourself with. Freddy has an incredible team of people who have put a solid head on his shoulders. I'm not concerned.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm a bit scared as well, but I think part of the reason why MLS and his people are allowing this to happen is that he is an exceptional talent in his maturity in addition to his footie exploits.

4. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    This guy is not 14 years old
    And he problably haved sex with many girls right now.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your second comment may be true.

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

I wouldn't worry. His mama raised him right, and he's still living at home with his her and his younger brother. He's a really smart, sensible kid who doesn't strike me as one who would go on Gazza-esqe benders after the game.

Oh, and pololo, the very respected American sports weekly Sports Illustrated did their own investigation into Freddy's age, and could not find any evidence suggesting he isn't 14. The issue has been pretty much put to rest.

7. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    But seriously, Buffalo, why should anybody trust a well-reserached report from a renowned sports-magazine over the uninformed opinion of a random European posting on a message board?

8. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Here's a Kleenex. Perhaps your dress is too tight?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but the comparison breaks down when you compare Emelia to Michael's father. Emelia is solid as a rock.

10. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    If Freddy gets out of hand, his mom will kick his @ss.

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Although some of your concerns are justtified the argument frankly is beyond tired. Just about every time someone starts out an argument with "14 yaer old boy!" and "He can't even drive!" I stop reading. As if beauty queens, ice skaters, gymnists, and tennis players aren't already doing this at this age. Moreover it's just reactionary mother hen to start going. "He can't even drive!" as if people osmeohow don't realise that he's younger than the legal driving age.

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok - but none of those are team sports and none of them are contact sports. It is a legitimate open question as to whether or not Freddy at 14 is up to the test, which is one of the things that makes the effort intriguing. But I wouldn't take too much guidance from Michelle Wie's experience on the golf course.

13. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I think all of these worries about his physical well being on the field are very much overblown. He's a pretty quick guy and he will learn soon enough how to avoid contact. He's basically the same size as DaMarcus Beasley and looks more substantial already. No one gets all hysterical over Beasley taking his whacks. Hopefully Freddy won't pick up his diving habit though.

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Exactly. There are small guys all over the league, many of whom aren't as quick as Freddy. Also, we're not talking about the NFL, despite jokes about leg breakers it's not as if some 270lb linebacker that can run a 4.4 40 is going to be going for the clothesline. Moreso, anyone want to argue that there's more pressure on team athletes than individual ones. It's not as if they don't have to deal with psyco Eastern European coaches or crazy tennis mothers. And lets be honest here, very young men playing soccer at a professional level isn't unprecidented. Freddy's relative age certainly is and coupled with his skills he's going to have to deal with the weight of expectation. But I don't think we heard anything quite like this with Bobby Convey or Eddie Gaven when they first came in the league. Is there really that much of a difference?

15. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    When is the last time you saw anybody drive, drink, smoke, or have sex on a soccer field?? Why are those things related in any way?? Just say he is young. Are you "scared" for Michele Wie, she was only 13 when she started playing professionally....where was the outpouring of concern for her??

16. I saw a quick clip on CNNSports. They where talking about the game being sold out and how soccer might have the next Tiger Woods. They also spoke about his age, and the fact that some don't bealive he is 14. They said that there was a bone density test and they can't pin point his exact age, just that it is between 13-16...
    Can't wait for the new MLS season to start!!!!!!

17. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Well, never, but those tapes of Holland in the 70s are pretty blurry in places.

18. ludacris88

ludacris88 Red Card

Apr 1, 2004
    New York
    This kid graduated high school at FOURTEEN! Save your fear for someone who actually needs it- Adu is super human

19. ludacris88

ludacris88 Red Card

Apr 1, 2004
    New York
    Bone density test? Thats just silly. Anyone hearing freddy speak would know hes 14. I cant believe people are still questioning his age.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Hustler,

I never thought something like this could happen to me, but one day me and some friends of mine went to a WUSA match. After the game....

21. People question everything....
    My nephew 13 years old, has a friend that is 12 years old and 5 11, 175LB... :eek:

22. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's always a legitimate fear. But not just for 14 yo's, but also for ANY P-40 player and any HS kid who then goes on to college. Let's face it--some people screw up their lives. Put some pressure on them (put an 18 yo OTC in charge of a platoon under fire and maybe they panic and they get people killed, put a 16 yo behind a car and in a tough situation they may panic and someone dies) and things could go wrong and they screw up their life. Or not.

The examples of Woods, Wie, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan, etc. ARE appropriate. Most of them aren't team sports. In a team sport it's easy to have curfews, a coach, lots of rules, a strong support system. For individuals (like tennis players), it's a lot tougher.

Could Adu blow it? He could--that's not beyond the realm of possibility. But...
    --he's got a great Mom with a good sense of values;
    --he's a good kid, committed to his family, good values and apparently mature beyond his years;
    --he's on a team (DCU) that really showed MLS how to deal with a non-HS grad (Convey) in a appropriate fashion and has dealt with a number of P-40 players. For instance, you can't interview him unless you sign up on a list with DCU. Nowak is definitely pushing "team" and all the players have talked about how strong of a rules guy he is. Case in point: he probably won't start on Saturday. If he doesn't start, it's Nowak trying to reduce the nerves and pressure. Despite that he's been DCU's most productive forward in the preseason;
    --he's home and closer to his support network;
    --he's already gotten a lot of support (it's amazing the resources they have at Bradenton--classes on dealing with the media, several sports pyschs, athletes from a range of sports they bring in to provide examples and case studies, multiple teams at multiple age leves there at any one time) and education to prepare him for this;
    --he's bright (finished HS).

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda's take...

Ten Reasons to Watch
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/04/wynalda0402.html
    1) Freddy Adu. Of course it’s Freddy. At first I was very opposed to the idea that a 14-year-old kid would consider turning professional. Lets face it, the locker room talk will be twice as bad as the R-rated movie he isn’t allowed to watch without his parents. In any case, the kid can play. I am pleased that Nowak is his coach, that he lives close to home (so his mom can drop him off, of course), and that he seems to be really enjoying the ride. My concern is injury, but let’s face it, I have that concern with everybody. I just don’t want this thing to be over or put on hold before it has started. Also, I have a couple of requests. Let’s be patient and try to enjoy it as much as Freddy does. Please don’t make any more comparisons to Pelé because that makes a mockery of the situation. He will play. It may not be right away, but he will play. Let's just hope when he hits the field that he is prepared and that he lives up to half of the hype. Believe me; that will be more than enough."

I agree with Wynalda here....At the same time I am concerned as well about injuries, especially considering a 14-yr old body going against the nasty tackles we see in MLS (some of which unfortunately go unpunished)...Oh, well best of luck to Freddy (just not for his team ;) )

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Way to be cordial. :rolleyes: