I'm not bitter ... but I hate you all (other teams thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    No PL fixtures this weekend in respect of the Queen's death.

I find this quite ironic because she never gave a flying about football.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Closet Reading fan, Betty was. Had the scarf and everything, I heard.

electrickeeper repped this.
  3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not too unhappy to avoid facing Citeh sandwiched between CL games. If next week's are cancelled too there are no league games before international break, next one would be NLD on Oct 1.

electrickeeper repped this.
  4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I can't see any more being cancelled. The footballing authorities are catching a little bit of heat for this, actually, as it's been revealed that the government have made no such requirement or recommendation for postponements, and countless other sports are continuing with scheduled events (without criticism, apparently), simply taking the occasions to hono(u)r the Queen with things like two-minutes' silence, etc.

From big things, like financial obligations now not being met (television schedules, etc.), to little things, like folks having already traveled, purchased tickets, etc., there's fallout being felt. And while no one objects to their motivations, a lot of folks are thinking it unnecessary and pre-mature. Not that it's likely to become more than it is, which isn't much, but even those (the majority, I'm sure) who endorse the decision won't likely be wanting to dial its inconveniences up further.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    RIP HM Elizabeth II, by the way. Hers was truly an extraordinary life.

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure you are right and next week will go ahead. There was some speculation about it being stopped until the funeral, but as you say other things are going on and the season is screwed up enough by the world cup to lose another round.

No big royalist me, but I have nothing but respect for HRH, devoting her life to her country. But of course the edgy internet commentators (Brits and others) didn't hesitate to take a shot.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Man U v Leeds, Chelsea v Liverpool, Brighton v Palace, Arsenal v PSV all off because of policing concerns.

Our game v Leicester is a go.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    How common...I thought when push came to shove she was an Arsenal supporter - another reason for me to be anti-monarchist...

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Think it through, mate ...

10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Haland is going to destroy the single season scoring record.

11. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Erling Haaland team look pretty good

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that pesky tournament this fall/winter was not happening, he might have done it by Christmas.

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Pffft. He's no Steffen Iversen, as Norwegian strikers go.

SF19, jumhed, electrickeeper and 2 others repped this.
  14. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think he's still playing in Norway, which is weird.

SF19 repped this.
  15. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Annoying Arsenal are getting results against stronger teams and look a legitimate contender for top four.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jesus goes out for any length, I think they are in trouble. He has brought a dynamic sense to them this season. As is, I think the challenge to the top are Man C, Arsenal, Spurs, and maybe Chelsea. 'pool have dropped too many points already.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Liverpool looked absolutely dreadful, they are a shadow of the team from last season.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm in Manchester and will head to Old Trafford for United's Europa League game v the mighty Cypriot team of Omomoia FC. In a few hours. It was either this or another day in London and going to West Ham's new stadium. Plus, I'm meeting mates in Sheffield early tomorrow, so I figured I'd be better off up north already.

Initial findings in Machester: my Guinness is too cold and my fungi chicken pie is too hot (it's hotter than the fooking sun). Each could do with an hour or two to approach room temperature, but I'm far too consumption-oriented at the moment for that. Anyway, I inadvertently left my book at the hotel, and this pub is empty, so the bigsoccer Spurs board is beneficiary of my inability to keep my thoughts to myself.

I've no idea what to expect from United tonight. They'll win easily, of course, but I couldn't guess at who they'll play. There was a time when watching ManU live had a degree of star-power, no matter how much you loathed them. Now, not so much. Still, it's a big old English ground, and that'll do for me.

Y'know, if the beer's gonna be this cold, my next will be a lager.

... not a bad pie, though. Watch this space for more of pook's fabulous Manchester footy adventures.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've just had a cracking chat with a geezer from Macclesfield. He's told me of his holiday in Chicago, and the barmaid has chimed in with details of her brother-in-law's home in Indiana. I'll spare you all the details.

The pub is filling up now. It's getting more and more United-y. I may have to make a move soon.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well, you are doing much better than me: I managed to sandwich in yesterday's game between a meeting about content for auto-insurance web pages, thinking about how we were going to throw away our 3-1 half-time lead.

21. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Loads of good banter here. I need to scroll down the forum list more. I forget about you lot when I don't.

Golara repped this.
  22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Omomia sounds like a disease to me but I expect nutter will slap me for being culturally insensitive.

You wouldn't have wanted to go to West Ham anyway... Anderlecht, couldn't they both lose?

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Omonia means harmony in Greek.

Btw, their supporters were brilliant. If there's one thing we Cypriots can do, it's be very loud (and eat a lot).

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. Na. To me, it sounds like a word used in a different, uh, situation. If you know what I mean. ;)

Golara repped this.
  25. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Arsenal incredibly fortunate against Leeds. Chaotic match.