im guessing this is the right forum...

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by htafc, Sep 2, 2005.

1. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    because its too do with music. i play electric guitar and have been for a few years so im planning on getting a more expensive guitar, about £400-£500. i like playing quite heavy stuff (sysem of a down) to more emo or punk music. ive got a stagg strat and a stagg les paul and imo the best parts (and worst) are-

strat- very comfortable, doesnt look bad, easy to change the sound with the controls
    - im not realy a fan of single coil pickups, too simple design lol

les paul- i love the humbuckers!, still quite simple but a bit better
    - not so easy to control the sound of, quite uncomfortable

i was thinking either- ibanez S520EX ( http://guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/S_Series.html ) bottom 1

epiphone zakz wylde les paul http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=6951 a bit pricey tho

an epiphone sg or ibanez ar200 http://guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/AR_and_AX_Models.html (2nd)

would 1 of these be a good choice? which 1?

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would probably get an SG.

You probably know this, but if you get a cheaper guitar, you might want to try to get a deal on some better pickups at the same time.

The Ibanez "shredder" looking guitars probably have more flexible sounds, but since you have a strat already, you don't necessarily need that flexibility.

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes this is the right forum.

I'm by no means an expert but I have a Am Std. Strat that I've owned for about seven years. I love the look of the AR200 but is it appropriate for what you're looking to play? I don't think that that guitar's the best at giving you the crunch that you need - the S520 should be better at that, I'd think.

4. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I always liked the SG style because it had a fixed bridge. The floating bridge on my strat-style Ibanez made non-standard tuning impossible. If you like to change tuning easily, I'd go with the SG. If you milk the whammy bar, I'd go with the strat. Q

5. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
  6. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the music you like and what you noted about the Les Paul and Strat, I would think the Ibanez S520EX is your pick.

Sounds like you want a bit of a hybrid-the Strat comfort w/fat Les Paul sound.

This guitar seems to fit the bill.

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you can put a humbucker in your strat, right? I put a humbucker in my Mustang and it sounds great.

Anyway, I have an old Ibanez 540s (saber) from like 1989, and I will confess that I still love it. SG's are awesome, though.

8. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd get a PRS Dave Navarro model. Save up for another year or so.