I'm going to SA - now what?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by Gronum, Mar 4, 2010.

1. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    you are breaking house rules by posting this !
    Dont think you can advertise here.

2. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Great place - grab it before this dude gets banned off the thread!

3. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Back to the topic, being so close to the world cup, this thread may be worth bumping....

4. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, I'll be located in the Sandton area, what are some local must sees?

5. aamiena

aamiena New Member

May 21, 2010
    If you have alot of money then Sandton would be great for you, its got great shopping malls

6. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not a fan of Menlyn Shopping mall...but its worth going to if you're into shopping...one of the biggest you'd findd in the Southern Hemisphere

http://www.menlynpark.co.za/

7. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Need a quick opinion or three, guys, so hoping somebody picks up on this and replies quickly

Weve got tickets for Bra vs CIV at 2030 in Joburg, but we also have tickets for Par vs Slovakia in Bloemfontein at 1330, the same day. We got these earlier, and have been trying to get rid of them ever since we got the Bra-CIV ticekts, to no avail...

So a quick search of flight options revealed an ambitious option. While the priority is obviously to watch Bra vs CIV, we can take a 0925-1040 flight to bloemfontein from joburg, watch the game from 1330 to 1530, and take the 1715 to 1830 flight back to joburg.
    this flight lands at tambo international airport, so i was wondering (we are renting a car at the airport that afternoon), how long do people in the know think it would take for us to drive to the nearest park and ride facility?

do you think this plan is feasible? will we make it to the soccer city stadium in time for kick off at 2030?

hopefully somebody sees this and answers soon...
    thanks in advance!

8. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    a local would say that is risky. someone here earlier mentioned that airports will not be able to handle the visitors smoothly and most of the flights will be running late.:eek: I can imagine OR Tambo to be very chaotic due to number of arriving and departing flights since its a major airport.

9. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah, i figured it would be.. :(

what if we left the first game around 1500hours and took the 1620 - 1725 flight back to joburg? we should be fine then, right?

10. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    all ifs and buts.. i personally wouldn't do this to risk not watching Brazil vs IC - its gonna be a great game !!! what are you gonna do if your flight from Bloemfontein is late by an hour or 2 at max ? traffic leading to the stadium from OR tambo must be chaotic on match day too

11. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would drive from Bloem.... If you were standing at the gates by the time the final whistle blew - you could be in Jhb 3 1/2 to 4 hours later at the Nasrec park & ride. Most of the traffic will be coming from the north and you guys from the south.
    Traffic was chaotic tonight to get to Orlando for the kickoff concert, but as the BraCIV game is on a Sunday you might get less commuter traffic so it might be a bit better. You have to rely on getting quick transport to bloem airport, plane leaving and landing on time, quick transport from Or tambo to Park & ride, Shuttle leaving on time for Soccer city - 4 variables. You guys can drive at 15h30 - the bLoem traffic will not be so bad if you get a good spot to park - and get to the Nasrec or Gold reef city P & R which is very close to soccer city compared to the Wits P & R which is closest to OR Tambo but still quite far from the Airport - geddit? You might even contemplate driving to Vereeniging which would be about 3 hours then taking the Metrorail to soccer city.

12. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006

It would be easier for you to use the Westgate Park and ride, it is located in the CBD of Joburg and from there you take a train to the stadium.

13. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  14. pulasta23

pulasta23 New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am going to stay in Johannesburg for 10 days, but i might go to Rustenburg for just 1 day. All I am interested in is to see the England Team Training at Rustenburg. Can anyone of you guide me on whether they are holding a public session after the 13th of june till the 23rd of June.
    If not then I am sure somebody out of you fans might have tried your luck at a training session. Please guide me on this front. I will try and be there at the Jo'Burg camps but since I am going to Rustenburg only for a day, I would like to be sure of seeing the players.

15. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Tried to see the Italian team practise - we were not allowed to go in. The next day apparently you could get in if you had a ticket but they could not tell us where to get the tickets - probably the embassy or Press only.

16. bahtadd

bahtadd Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Northern VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Has anyone asked this yet? Regarding the electrical outlets in South Africa. Coming from abroad and with things like phone charger that need to be plugged in, a converter is needed correct? thx in advance

17. EastTerracer

EastTerracer New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The question has been asked before but no harm in repeating the answer.

Most chargers will not need a converter - if you see 110v-240v on the back of the charger then it will work with just an adaptor. Laptops and chargers tend to be fine in this regard. Be more careful with hairdryers or other electrical equipment as they often only show 110v as the operating power.

18. pulasta23

pulasta23 New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are you sure we need tickets to watch Public Training Sessions? Haven't heard about it before. They tell you on SuperSport Blitz at what time which team will hold sessions, but is anybody sure we need tickets for them??

19. saracp2010

saracp2010 New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I have 3 days from June 22 to June 24 in JNB.
    I was thinking to do Kruger. Is it better to do the "Safari Tours" or rent a car and drive by myself.
    Or I was thinking to do Durban instead of Krugar to avoid "Malaria" (Got no shots) and do the big 5, when I 'm in Port Elz and do Addo NP.

thanks

20. Scorpyn78

Scorpyn78 Member+

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    May 27, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am renting a car and driving from Joburg to Kruger (Skukuza) on the 22nd. Coming back on the 24th. Travelling solo. As far as Malaria is concerned, I think all you need to do is take an antimalaria pill every week starting one week before you go to KNP which is today!

21. African Biohazard

Apr 16, 2010
    Johannesburg
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    Really no need for anti-malaria medication in the winter months in Kruger as there are no mosquitos flying without water. As it is the incidence of Malaria is low in KNP and very very low in Winter.

22. Scorpyn78

Scorpyn78 Member+

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    May 27, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True that. Just taking forced precautions. Travelling solo so need to do these things to keep my wife happy.

23. saracp2010

saracp2010 New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Hi Scorpyn,
    let me know, whether I can join you and split the cost.

thnks.