I'm from country X and want to play Soccer in the US (trials, etc)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by jeroen, Sep 8, 2003.

1. AirbornePhoto

AirbornePhoto Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Minnesota United FC (NASL Spring champions 2014) holds tryouts in the winter. I'd suggest sending Manny Lagos (Head Coach) your video.

2. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
  3. Felipe Strambi Clemente

Sep 15, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Hi there.
    Im gonna to Valencia College in Orlando and Im looking for an opportunity to play soccer. I have got 19 years old, Im from Brazil. I have a video on youtube.

4. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Diangelo Jubitana

Diangelo Jubitana New Member

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am Diangelo Jubitana, living in the Netherlands. And I am 18 years old.
    I would like to play in the USA. I have enough experience. Is someone willing to help me out with this one?

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What club(s) have you played for? Here are the times of year when the three professional levels of soccer in the USA played in 2014:

MLS (Level 1): March 8-October 26 with Playoffs October 29-December 7 (34 games per club before the playoffs)

NASL (Level 2): April 12-June 8 for the Spring season (9 games per club) and July 19-November 2 for the Fall season (18 games per club) with playoffs November 8-15 (there are playoffs after the Fall but not after the Spring). Note that NASL clubs played U.S. Open Cup games in the break between seasons. Your favorite club is AC Milan who plays in the Coppa Italia and the U.S. Open Cup is the American equivalent of that. (27 games per club before the playoffs)

USL Pro (Level 3): April 12-September 27 (Playoff Final) (28 games per club before the playoffs)

Note that there is no promotion or relegation between levels.

Given that are 18, do you have any interest in going to college? If you attend college you can play college soccer. Hofstra University, where I attended, plays their 2014 regular season August 29-November 1. Then there is the Colonial Athletic Association tournament November 8-15 (Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Championship). There are many conferences which each have a tournament played at about the same time. Then 48 out of between 200 and 300 NCAA Division I schools get to play in the NCAA Tournament to determine a national champion. While you are in college, you are allowed to play for a USL- PDL club during the summer because the PDL doesn't pay anything.

Acronym Guide:
    MLS is Major League Soccer
    NASL is the North American Soccer League
    USL Pro is United Soccer League
    USL- PDL is United Soccer League- Premier Development League

All of those leagues compete in the U.S. Open Cup., their regular season, playoffs (except I don't know if the USL- PDL has playoffs), and four clubs from the United States play in each CONCACAF Champions League. These four clubs will all be from MLS unless a club from a lower level qualifies by winning the U.S. Open Cup.

The first post of http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/2014-nyrb-player-salaries.2003107/ lists the 2014 salaries for my favorite MLS club. A search says that $1 = 0.78 Euros, so every Red Bulls player earns at least 28,470 Euros for the year. NASL and USL pay lower than MLS.

In summary:
    1. I have no idea how good you are.
    2. Teams may have open tryouts during the winter before next season.
    3. No matter how good you are, don't expect to make money until March 2015 unless you get on an MLS or NASL clubs as soon as possible.

http://www.chicago-fire.com/opentryout/info is about tryouts on December 5 for the Chicago Fire, who are currently 15th out of 19 in points in MLS. They play in a suburb of Chicago, the third biggest city in the United States. You must pay for a register for the tryout in advance. You must be at least 18 (which you said you are) and not be playing professionally in order to tryout with them. If you search the internet you can find tryouts for other clubs in different leagues. I use Chicago as a example, not to recommend them over another club.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for replying!

I have played for Ajax Youth, FC Schiedam, Almere City and FC Amsterdam. All are high division clubs.
    I will try that Chicago Fire tryout link.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #433 EvanJ, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  9. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I did not have the time to maintain that page. And I didn't felt ''Statitics'' meant something on the internet.

10. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What I am gonna do is pay myself a cheap ticket to chicago. Probably moving November, 7th staying till December the 10th. But the problem is I have nobody where I can stay.

11. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What I am gonna do is pay myself a cheap ticket to chicago. Probably moving November, 7th staying till December the 10th. But the problem is I have nobody where I can stay.

12. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

13. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

14. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What I am gonna do is pay myself a cheap ticket to chicago. Probably moving December, 1 staying till December the 10th. But the problem is I have nobody where I can stay.

15. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diangelo Jubitana repped this.
  16. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am already looking for tickets to Chicago. I will show them my best and hopefully they will appreciate it.

17. Diangelo Jubitana

Oct 14, 2014
    New york
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Would be nice if I could have an E-mail from one of these trainers.

18. Lee Irving

Lee Irving New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hello,

My name is lee Irving I am 18 years old. I am currently looking for a club to play in. I'm currently living in Spain working as a teacher and playing for my local team. But for me I always want more. From the age of 10 until 15 I played for arsenals youth teams. At 16 I started to play for a team In London called ebbsfleet united in their first team until 18. Of when I decided to move to spain. Could you tell me if there is any opening for a trial in the youth teams or first team?

Kindest regards
    Lee

19. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the USL Pro teams, they sound like they could be a good fit for you. If you have higher aspirations I would recommend trying for one that's an MLS 2 team, that would give you a better chance to get an MLS contract. Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, LA, RSL, Montreal and probably NY all have 2 teams.

I wouldn't recommend trying for an MLS team right away, that's a few steps above where you played in England. The MLS teams are equivalent League One over there, but more physical. USL Pro would be a great place to start here.

If that doesn't work out, and you're not worried about getting paid, you could do NPSL. There are a lot of college player who play in that league to complement their college training. It's maybe a touch lower than what you were playing over there.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/10/la-galaxy-ii-open-tryout-be-held-january-31-and-february-1-2015

http://www.soundersfc.com/S2/tryouts

20. Lee Irving

Lee Irving New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I really appreciate that thankyou. Have you got any personal links that you can forward me to? In the mean time I will be checking the information you have given me

21. ness77

ness77 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    The 2-0-6
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another possibility might be Kitsap Pumas. They play in the PDL (Premier Development League), roughly the same level as the NPSL. Most teams in this league are amateur, but the Pumas are one of the few who do pay their players (although not exactly a huge amount).

Here's a link to their open tryouts at the end of January. They have a good organization with a good young Scottish coach, so I'm always happy to pass on a potential player to him.
    http://kitsapsoccerclub.com/event-registration-2/?ee=16

22. james Cosgrove

james Cosgrove New Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hi
    My brother and I are looking to come to america this summer when we finish school. We are 18 years old twins and have played at the highest level of youth soccer in Ireland. We've played with plenty of players who have gone to england on contracts to premier league and championship teams and also many international players. We are really iinterested in continuing our career in america with maybe a super u20 league team or pdl. We were on the books of an agency that help young Irish and English players play college soccer but it turned out way to expensive. Any ideas were to Start?
    Thanks

23. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are you guys going to be? In California there are a lot of options.

The Ventura County Fusion are having tryouts this weekend:

http://www.vcfusion.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Pages.Page/id/775

Galaxy II just had their tryouts:

http://www.lagalaxy.com/tryouts

I'm not sure what the Blues do, but I'm sure they have tryouts as well:

http://ocbluesfc.com/www/

There are a couple of other 3rd/4th division teams in Southern California.

http://www.lamisionerosfc.com//

Around major cities you'll find a similar setup. If you're going to be in the South you're sort of out of luck, with the exception of the Atlanta area. New Jersey/NY and LA tend to be the hot spots, but today most decent size cities have a few teams. Like I said, in the South your options are far more limited (I don't count Texas or Florida as "Southern", I'm speaking of the Deep South, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia) but even there you can find the odd NPSL team if you're willing to drive.

24. james Cosgrove

james Cosgrove New Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for replying
    Ah I'm not too sure where we are going to be yet as we plan on trying out for several teams.
    I've talked to coaches of a few superu20 league teams and they said we can tryout
    Whats the standard of soccer like over in the states at the levels you mentioned?

25. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL Pro us pretty good, but if you're young they're much more likely to take a chance with you, and you're young. PDL and NPSL are glorified amateur teams for the most part. Good USL Pro teams are roughly equivalent to maybe a bad First Division Irish team, or even a good amateur team there.

You'll find in general that if you're fast most US coaches will fit you on the team. Unfortunately there's still a bias towards raw athleticism over skill over here, but that has been changing.