I'm at a loss as to what to do [Girls U8]

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Norsk Troll, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    If kids don't "get" something ... for example, remembering to use their inside for accuracy, or remembering to receive the ball away from pressure ... I can live with that. It will come eventually.

But what do I do when a player's failure to "get" something is physically endangering her teammates and opponents?

I've got a U8 girl on my team that has a hell of a strong leg, but no one has ever coached her how to use it. Since she joined my team in August, I've been especially working to break her engrained bad habits. She locks her eyes on the ball, never looks up, and swings away whenever the ball is near. Consequently, she has nearly scored own-goals when she's playing in the back and gets turned and simply whacks it, can't connect a pass to a teammate because she can't keep the ball on the ground, and tries to shoot before she even looks up to see where the goal is, sending it miles wide everytime. Those things are negligble though - just illustrations of the problem.

What makes this problem different, and something that I am not sure that I CAN just bide my time on, is that she'll take a good run and smack that balll for all it's worth without looking, and knock another player down - opponent, teammate, referee ... it doesn't matter. Tonight was just the latest time that she has hit a girl directly in the face, knocking her off her feet and out of the game crying. She's done that to at least half her own team at some point this season.

And she just doesn't get it no matter how hard, and how many different ways I try to get through to her. When she steps on the field, her mind just turns off, and it is leading to others gettting physically hurt.

I really don't know what to do anymore, and I don't want to see any more of my players hurt because of her. It's nights like this when I actually hate being a coach.

2. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make her receive the ball with her first touch every single time the ball comes to her.

If she doesn't do that in a game, don't play her. If she doesn't do it in practice, make her stop and do a push-up, crunch, star jump, donkey kick, run a lap, whatever.

Honestly, set the standard for what she needs to do and have simple (non-humiliating) consequences if she doesn't meet the standard.

3. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I had a girl similar to this in U8 and I now have her on my U10 team.

What I did in practice was stipulate to everyone that during small-sided games if any player played "kickball", e.g. blindly kicked at it without purpose, their team lost possession at the spot of the kick. The rule was intended mainly just for her, but I made it for everyone so she didn't feel I was singling her out.

She's knocked down a lot of people out there in practice and games, swinging elbows, balls kicked in the face, etc. She's not mean, but just a good aggressive player that didn't know how to control it. In practice, every time she did that stuff I'd whistle her loudly for the foul and made every restart ceremonial to emphasize that she had to rein it in a little. Nothing critical said of her, just constant correction until she got the point. I didn't want her to become too passive in trying to correct her.

Over time (two seasons) it's worked. She's still aggressive but controlled, and she receives and controls the ball before dribbling, passing or shooting. It won't be easy, but it can be done.

4. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    TwentySix's advice is good, if you think you need to change her behavior. Not having been there makes it impossible for me to know what is actually happening. I notice several things about your post.

You have not described her behavior at practices, so I assume it is not a problem. (The coach is the referee during practices.)

The first part is criticism of her tactical decisions in a match. This is not a concern at U8. The focus should be on whether she is developing ball skills, which you do not describe, so again I assume that is not a problem.

Finally soccer is a contact sport. You don't mention any contact except that incidental to playing the ball. I assume that you have referees. If she has played in a careless or reckless manner, then its a foul. If she is allowed to continually play, and the referee is not stopping play and issuing cautions, then the problem does not lie with her. Either her play is legal or the referee is making mistakes.

Since it is a continual problem with I assume different referees, I would assume that all referees are not making mistakes, so she is not playing in a careless or reckless manner.

Finally none of the above really matters because its your team to coach. If she is not following your rules for the team, then you need a discipline plan known to the players (and parents) and rules known to the players (and parents), and you need to apply the discipline plan. The rules and plan should be announced at the beginning of the season, but better late than never.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Travel soccer or rec soccer.

Depends how much time you have with them to practice and make good habits and how committed she is beyond your x number of games.

6. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Thanks everyone. I was still stressed when I wrote that, so it probably didn't come out clear. The problem is in all phases - practice, games, the fooling around with balls that comes before before and after practices. The specific mentions of her lack of control with the ball during games was just illustrative that it's an overall problem with her, but it's just the one result - kicking the ball right into another girl - that is the real problem that bothers me. All the girls have plenty of control issues that are unfortunate during a game, which with enough time I can correct. It's just that hers is the only problem that's hurting people.

Unfortunately, since it's nothing mean or intentional on her part, it's not something I or a referee can really discipline her about, other than generally-imposed attempts during practice to break the habit (including some of the things along the line of what was suggested above - pushups, free kick for the other team). Positive reinforcement has not helped either, even though I rather prefer that to pushups - I've shown her how in a deadball sitution, such as a cornerkick, when she's got all the time to look around and really focus on her technique, she's doing wonderfully - her power is an asset then. Even once during a practice, she actually stopped and looked up before striking the ball, and sure enough when she took her shot it was a goal - but all the praise and reminders haven't seen that behavior turn up again. It's clearly a mental thing for her - just turns off her mind while playing - and no doubt as she gets older she'll overcome it. It's just that in the meantime, I've got girls with icepacks on their faces to keep the swelling down. :(

I probably won't have her for the long run - our girls move around a bit from team to team each season in Rec, and I'm most afraid that the other coaches will just let it continue. I've not seen any of them confront technique issues previously (which is how she got this way in the first place - she's been playing for at least 2-3 years now already!).

Thanks for listening to me vent and offering the suggestions. I'll keep plugging away. Maybe if I have all the team except her show up wearing lacrosse helmets one day, she'll get the message. Probably not, though.

[PS - Recreational, though her father is deluded into thinking that I'll be coaching her in Travel next Fall - I don't see that happening. One practice a week (two during August), plus an extra 5 practices for a tournament team, and she usually comes out an additional night every week for "professional" training. Her committment is very good, but it's just not making a difference yet.)

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    If she has been going to 'professional' trainings, I gather she has been learning proper touch techniques. I won't bore you with other things such as "you should talk to her" etc. I will just give a quick observation.

Our club allows rec players to participate in training sessions with our pro coaches. At the younger levels when we break out scrimmages at the end, some kids wil revert to booting it as hard as they can. It is a simple lack of understanding the value of possession and rather the baseball/kickball mentality of hitting the ball as hard as you can. I still need to emphasize the value of possession of kids age 9,10 a& 11 at varying levels (especially in rec) to a.) trust their skills and b.) value the possession of the ball.

8. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be that she hears you, but she is focused on what her Parents are telling her away from the game, "Hun you have a big foot, use it" Etc.... Once in game, she tunes everything out simply because of what she hears at home most of the time. And at that age level, you most likely won't be able to break that habit. But the plus side is she's still super young and more likely to "grow" out of it.

I had a boy (5/6th grade) that could dribble at speed like no other kid I've seen. Even I had trouble staying net side of him. I heard alot about how little success other coaches had with him to open up his game and get him focused on playing with his teammates. I coached him for 3 seasons and he would not stop coming back, to the 6 yard box even, to get the ball and carry it up field by himself. (Full size field at this age level) And it usually didn't end up in a score.

A lot of it had to do with his mother telling him that the other players were not as good as him and that he needed to just do it all himself. And that's exactly what he tried to do. He even told me he couldn't do what I was teaching cause his mom told him to do something else.

It's sad cause I watched one of his 7th grade games this year and he's still doing what he always does. And just like last year you could see the anger in his teammates for the way he plays.

9. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    This is not true. If a player is intentionally striking another player in the face with a ball, it is violent conduct and a straight red card. The player is ejected and suspended. The team is punished as well by having to play without a substitution for the ejected player. There are, however, other sanctions for unintentional contact. Reckless conduct even if there is no actual contact is a yellow card. Careless conduct even if there is no actual contact is a foul. Persistent fouling is a yellow card even if there was never any contact.

If the referee did not see one of my players strike another player, that would not stop me from pulling the player from the game and imposing a suspension as if the referee had seen it. In truth on my adult team, I would kick the player off the team.

Bumps, bruises, and getting hit in the head with the ball are a normal part of the game.

As long as you comply with your organizations policies, you can discipline players for violating any rule you impose on the team. I would add "within reason" but I know I don't have to state the obvious.

10. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    You missed from the first part you quoted: "since it's nothing mean or intentional on her part". And no 7 year old is ever going to be carded, or even called for a foul, simply by kicking the ball while trying to play soccer during the run of play - regardless of if it is an out of control shot that happens to hit a girl hard.

11. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    If you coach travel you may not see her, but you will see similar play from others. Fearlessness and focus on the ball are traits greatly prized in keepers and strikers. Some coaches, like me, prize agressiveness in players. If you notice TwentySix advised that she should use her first touch to receive balls that were coming to her, not balls she is running to reach and play before an opponent does.

12. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    So you are simply upset with the kicker because a wayward ball struck a player? Do you have any idea how often that happens during a 90 minute game with skilled players? Its part of the game.

13. seansteele

seansteele Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Fresno, CA
    Have you structured games at practice where big kicks are discouraged due to the objectives of the game and the spacing of the field? E.g. a 2 v 2 game with goals scored by stopping the ball in a small endzone.

Have you heaped praised on her for positive behavior and tied her success in practice to success at games?

From the sounds of it this is how you've approached her so far. Just because it has not worked up to this point, doesn't mean you should change tactics. Seven year olds should not be punished for wanting to kick the ball as far as they can. Yes, dangerous play needs to be addressed, but if it is not intentionally malicious then there needs to be positive incentive to change. Having a seven year old rec player not start because she boots the ball or have her doing push-ups for every wayward kick will result in her quitting soccer. Help her understand the consequences of her actions, but above all, keep working on being positive.

14. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd second this opinion, even though we're talking about U8 player. Talk to her parents about the situation and let them know what you're going to do.

Then let the player know that if she just aimlessly boots the ball again, even if it doesn't hit another player, that she will have to sit the rest of the game next to you. After that - you must follow-through! If that happens once, then she will get the idea, because no kid wants to just sit/watch.

This is the fastest way I can envision you being able to correct the dangerous problem. You can also have the same rule for practice, since you said that she does it in practice as well.

I would bet that after she sits for one game, that you will get much better participation/attention from her during activities - as I'm assuming that at this age almost all of your practice activities are based close ball control in different situations.

15. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She doesn't have to sit the whole game, but I wouldn't be adverse to subbing her off, smiling, and reminding her what she needs to do to improve... and then, sending her back out there.

Someone else made a comment about positive reinforcement - which is also very important.

16. jayhump

jayhump Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to agree with Sean. I have my U8 do either ball touches or boxes, 10 to 15 at practice. During games I've really started to praise the things there doing correct and try and forget what there doing wrong. In practice during our small sided games and they do 'boot' the ball I usually freeze the game and use the 'what do you think would of been a better desission'.

In the beginning I went as far as to give the ball to the other team, when it seemed to be a 'boot da ball' kind of pass. I still tell them before the games if you just 'boot da ball' and do not control it you might as well just hand over the ball to the other team. Like Sean said just keep reinforcing it, if her other coaches never tried to correct it take it on as a personal challenge. If she is as agressive and has a big of foot as you say she does then she may be worth putting the time into.

I can't stand one touching the ball at these ages. Do not support it, the sideline may erupt when the ball is 'booted', you should stay calm and ask what other decision do you think you could of made. Or ask, 'is that what we've been practicing at practice?

Just my 2!

17. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Thanks again, everyone. The frustrating part is she almost always looks over at me right after she does it with an embarassed, sheepish look. So she DOES recognize that she's doing it wrong. She just doesn't seem to engage that part of the brain until after the fact. Oh well, it will just take more time with her.

At least she didn't hurt anyone last night ...

18. jayhump

jayhump Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know her tendency, so at the next game or practice just as the ball comes to her you should yell at her 'CONTROL THE BALL'. I've had to do that to two of my players now they know what to do and what is expected of them. And I've been coaching these girls for 4 years now. So kids are like bulls they need to be broken and they need to be trained. U8G's, they are great but they can frustrate the hair right off your head!

Good luck,

J-

19. GermanCoach

GermanCoach New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Play a 4 vs. 4 game with her, which will be good for all players. Normal game, but you have to announces the teamgirl`s name for every pass, you want to play and if you shoot at the goal, you have to cry out load "GOAL!". That will open her eyes for her environment. "Marryyyyyyyy!"

Still not working? Play the same game with the variation that to win, each of the four girls have to shoot a personal goal. So your killer-lady has to find her teamates to win.

Still not working? Ok ok ok ok ok ok then it is individual practise for your lady at home and with you. At home she has to find anything that looks like a ball, hopefully they are available in the US? And a chair. She has to practie to circle around this chair without looking at the ball. Focus on the fish tank. With you it is the same thing, then she has to look into your smiling eyes, while running around a cone or jour bag. ^^

By the way ...... it will be good for all your girls ;)