I'm Almost Completely Happy With The Team After A Summer of (Alleged) Record Spending

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Vermont Red, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While basking in the glory of an excellent season last May, my thoughts naturally turned towards this coming season. What would we need to do in order to have an even better season, to retain the Premiership trophy and maybe add a Champions League trophy? The major upgrade that was needed, in my opinion, was better squad depth. Now that we are a few games into the new season I have to wonder: Has United done enough?

First of all, United’s starting eleven measures up to almost any other starting eleven in Europe. In England, only Chelsea can boast a first eleven that is, arguably, better than United’s. But last season our depth after that first eleven was sorely tested and often found wanting. I don’t think we can count on another season of Mourinho’s inept man-management, Benitez’s stubborn refusal to compete for the league title and Wenger’s satisfaction with fielding a team that may be good enough in a few years. (Well, maybe we can still count on Wenger.) We needed better depth throughout the squad. How did we do?

At the start of the summer, we didn’t have significant depth problems at keeper. Edwin Van der Sar was coming off a season during which he grew less reliable as things wore on. (Breaking his nose was probably a contributing, but not sole, factor.) Tomasz Kuszczak was not the answer but with Ben Foster coming back to serve as Van der Sar’s understudy, getting another keeper didn’t seem like a pressing need. Then we learned that Foster will be out until March. We made Kuszczak’s loan deal permanent but that has been the only movement so far at keeper. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see United make a move here in the last week or so of the transfer window.

Gary Neville’s inability to stay healthy was the biggest problem in defense last season, but, it wasn’t the only one. We also lacked depth at CB where Brown was really the only (mostly) reliable CB that we had behind Ferdinand and Vidic. We seemed to be covered at LB with Evra backed up by Heinze, Silvestre, O’Shea, Richardson, Giggs. (Did I miss anyone?) Richardson has moved on and Heinze is almost certainly gone so our depth at LB is less, but the position is covered. At RB, Neville is still struggling for fitness so Brown has been deputizing for him. The problem is that while Brown has appealing cynicism, he doesn’t offer enough going forward. Phil Bardsley is still with the club but he would not be an ideal solution. Young Danny Simpson traveled with the club during the pre-season after an impressive second half of the season loan at Sunderland last year. Simpson has been the heir apparent at RB for a number of years, but will Fergie give him a chance, especially with the uncertainly growing with regards to how many games Neville will be fit for. Our attack will suffer if Brown or O’Shea (or Pique) gets many minutes at RB. At CB, things appear to be covered, with both Evans and Pique behind Brown. However, one of those promising youngsters looks certain to not get enough minutes if both are here for the whole season, so it would not be surprise for one of them to go out on loan.

Our biggest problem since Roy Keane talked his way out of the club has been in central midfield. This was partially addressed prior to last season with the purchase of Michael Carrick. Carrick quickly proved to be indispensable to United and a big reason why the attack clicked so effectively. Central midfield was further addressed this summer with the long awaited purchase of Owen Hargreaves. Hargreaves is nowhere near as tidy on the ball or as good a user of the ball as Scholes or Carrick, but he should be an upgrade at the nominal holding role in United’s midfield in place of the versatile O’Shea. It won’t be a surprise, especially in Europe, to see all three of these guys lining up in central midfield at the start of a match. Hargreaves also brings some versatility and is able to play RM or even RB is the need arises. Add O’Shea and Darren Fletcher to the list and central midfield looks covered. Top prospect Darron Gibson is likely looking at another loan spell given the better options ahead of him, at least for this season. Finally, Anderson was purchased from Porto and his best position is thought to be as an attacking midfielder. It is uncertain how Fergie plans to use him but he could be another option. And then there is Ryan Giggs, no longer able to run up and down the wings for 90 every week, but looking more and more at home playing behind the strikers in the role formerly owned by Paul Scholes.

In wide midfield we have our player of the year from last season Cristiano Ronaldo. Giggs will no doubt play some matches on the opposite flank but the depth has been upgraded with the purchase of Ronaldo’s countryman, Nani. While strength may be an issue at first, Nani is certainly preferable to Richardson. If the pre-season and first few matches means anything, it appears that Nani may be ready to contribute right away. Anderson could also figure in a wide role if Fergie is reluctant to feature the newcomer to the league in the cauldron in the middle of the pitch. With Ji Sung Park injured, Lee Martin could have the opportunity to deputize. However, Fergie still can play Fletcher, Hargreaves and, in Europe, Wayne Rooney out wide so Martin could find himself out on loan again this season.

Up front, Alan Smith and Giuseppe Rossi have been sold and Carlos Tevez has been purchased joining Rooney, Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as the forwards. When all are healthy, United will feature one of the most dynamic and versatile strike forces in Europe. Tevez may not be a prototypical number 9, but he showed at West Ham that he can operate alone up top, providing he receives support from midfield. With Rooney growing in confidence in the lone striker role, the lack of a number 9 behind the unreliable but excellent Saha does not seem to be a big problem. However, until Rooney and Saha get healthy, depth is a problem. Frazier Campbell could stick around to pick up the garbage minutes, but he is not ready to make the step up to the top level to fill in until Rooney and Saha are back. Its not impossible that United will purchase one more forward before the window closes, likely someone who primarily plays as a 9, while sending Campbell out on loan again.

So did United do enough this summer to address their depth issues? If all the kids stick around then the only obvious weaknesses are at keeper and (temporarily) at forward. Fergie should have a much easier time this season finding opportunities to rest key players like Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, Rooney and Ronaldo. The question of hurting the development of the young players on the cusp of the squad hovers over a number of decisions that Fergie has to make, but Fergie won’t get caught with a tired squad come April.

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good write-up. It really does seem like true squad depth is "just around the corner" with the injuries and setbacks we've had. I'm most worried about the striker position, obviously, because Saha's poor fitness means any other injury while he's hurt severely knocks us down a level.

When all 4 are fit, you are right. We have a great strikeforce. However, someone is always hurt between Saha and Ole these days, and that scares me. I would like to bring in a young player who shows potential, i.e. Alves, so that we have cover now (said player won't be guaranteed minutes, especially when all are fit) but could be a starter for us in a few years (when one or both of Saha/Ole are gone/done).

3. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Good post. We did more then enough to have depth this season. We just seem very out of dept atm because of the Rooney, Saha, Ole, Anderson, Neville, and Park injurys, and the Ronaldo suspension.

I am sure in a few weeks it will get too hard to guess what the line-up/bench is going to be. Our problem now is not the players, its just things dont click right in the final 3rd:mad:

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, let's address this issue individually.

First, I do believe we'll field two different teams, one domestically, and one for Europe. They probably won't vary too much. Keep in mind, this is considering our starters are all fit.

Domestic formation:

-------------VDS
    Neville-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra

--------Carrick-Scholes
    Ronaldo----------------Giggs
    ---------Rooney
    ----------------Saha

I excluded Tevez because when fit Saha will clearly be the starter. He's our only #9.

European Formation:

--------------VDS
    Neville-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra

--Carrick-Hargreaves-Scholes

--Ronaldo--Rooney--Giggs

I know some of you want Saha to start at all times but I really don't think it's neccessary in Europe. Here we will play a much more attack-minded game. We have enough cover and creativity from midfield and if our attacking three are matchfit, we can do enough damage and score goals. We've done so last season already and Tevez's inclusion can only add to that.

Bench/Depth:

GK: I think Kuszczak is a good enough replacement. I know he doesn't have many fans here but he's experienced and has shown signs of brilliance. I also think the only reason why he isn't as consistent and prone to blunders every now and then is because he doesn't get nearly enough time and a couple of starts in Carling Cup games every so often isn't doing him any favors. Perhaps this season with VDS's potential inability to stay fit, we'll see more of him. Other than that we have Foster, and with that good enough cover for the GK spot.

RB: Here we may suffer a bit. Gary isn't getting younger, and Brown has dissappointed as RB cover. We cannot rely on him for those overlapping runs we've come to know from Gary. Simpson is also a bit too inexperienced so I don't think we're too well covered. The only way to insure that for the future is to give Simpson games gradually. He clearly has the potential, and unfortunately he's a step above Bardsley in the pecking order. We'll probbaly not see the latter much and he'll be most likely sold. Pique is another option. I'd rather have him at CB but his strength and willingness to get forward might just prove to be something wonderful. If O'Shea and Brown can slot in, why not give Pique a shot?

LB: Evra and Silvestre have experience but I'm still a bit worried that the latter won't be able to fill in if Evra becomes injured. In theory it's best to have two equally (at least) great players for the same position. Silvestre is a loyal guy but he's a quality or two below Evra. I know Evans can also fill in but I'm not sure it's the best idea to rely on him, unless Ferguson gives him more games in that role. For some reason I trust O'Shea a bit more at this role, maybe because I still have too fond memories of him performing so well in the role. I feel a bit better about the left back spot than the RB but after Heinze's departue we should see managment address it.

CB: I'm comfortable with Vidic and Ferdinand. Brown should be used as a CB cover permanently and I'm confident Evans and Pique have what it takes to be slotted into that role whenever required; Premiership or in Europe. In defense, I feel the most comfortable with what we have in this category.

Central Midfield: I should feel more comfortable, especially given the purchase of Hargreaves and Anderson. However, the former is injury prone and the latter incredibely inexperienced and "green". Apart from that Scholes is nearing his retirement (not to say he isn't performing) For this season I think we're covered well enough. Gibson is more or less also ready to be given a few starts and I have no doubt he can become a permanent fixture in the first team.

This part of our team is undergoing perhaps the biggest transition. We switched from our traditional 4-4-2 and we seem to be heading into a direction where more and more of our central midfielders are versatile. Carrick is not only a deep lying playmaker but has also become a decent enough tackler. (Remember Ferguson saying he has more in mind for Carrick) I also said before, or last year that he'll ultimately replace Scholes and we'll see much more of him going up, with the possibility of Hargreaves or Gibson covering.

This leaves out Fletcher who I like very much. He was another one of our utility players but I don't see how he'll fit in here much. With the prospect of O'Shea filling in more in defense, we just might see the return of Fletcher on the wing.

Flanks/Wingers: At the beginning of the season I was under the impression that we weren't well covered in this field but right now I think this might be our most balanced/filled area. We have Giggs who can still perform extremely well on the left, Ronaldo, Nani, Fletcher, and Park (who can still play a big role upon his return) On the left we can play Ronaldo, Giggs, and Nani, and on the right we can play Ronaldo, Fletcher, and Park. Good enough for me. And since we're not playing with traditional wingers who run up and down and cross but rather with wingers who cut in and interchange as well as lock in a decent 4-3-3, I'm more than content with what we have now.

Strikers: Here's where I'm not happy. Given everyone is fit, we have more than enough to make work domestically and in Europe, but Saha is too unpredictable and between Tevez and Rooney we also cannot assume that they'll stay fit. I don't want to rely on a near-35 year old Solskjaer and the sale of either Smith or Rossi has turned out to not be particularly smart. I know Ferguson banked on Rooney and Tevez linking upfront and Saha returning for additional options off the bench, but that's not the case and I desperately believe we need a #9. I wouldn't seee it as a panic buy because the window hasn't yet closed and we don't really have that many options at the moment. Who wants to continue the season with an isolated Tevez and an adrift Giggs upfront?

5. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great article Vermont.

I think Man Utd have done enough in the transfer market. We have bought where we needed to buy. We never needed any more defenders as we were over-loaded last year, so another one wouldn't make any sense. We have seasoned internationals backed up by promising youngsters. We have every position covered and in depth.

We needed more bite to the midfield and we bought Hargreaves. He's a disciplined player who loves to fight for the ball. He brings pace and dynamism to our central midfield where Scholes and Carrick do not. We also have Fletcher and O'Shea who can play that role so, again, we have quality and quantity in equal measure which bodes well. The centre is a strong place for us.

Wide players are also something we have in abundance. Ronaldo, Giggs, Anderson, Nani and Park are all wide players and can all make an impact. Keeping them fit (especailly Park) is paramount but we have the numbers and they are all quality players. We have 5 players where we need 4, so we can have no complaints. Park is unlikely to see too much action anyway as he is easily the "worst" out of those 4.

Up front we have bought Tevez. Strange purchase on the face of it, but if him and Rooney can gel, then we could be in for a treat. My only complaint is that Saha and Solskjaer are not reliable to stay fit so in a sense, we only have 2 attackers, and one of those has a broken foot (again?). Selling Rossi looked like a mistake but in keeping him we would simply have given ourselves 3 players who are all the same instead of two. It wouldn't have been fair to have him competing with Rooney and Tevez.

With the injuries we have it would appear we need something new but you have to ask yourself; if everyone is fit, how do you accomodate them?

I think if we can get Saha, Rooney and Neville back to match fitness we're laughing really, and as you say there are not many teams who have the quality that we have in such depth.

It's all about those 3 players though and ensuring that they get fit and stay fit......

6. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And where has this myth come from that Owen Hargreaves is injury prone?

He broke his leg. It happens. As far as I was aware he's a relatively sturdy player.... :confused:

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    sigh.

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ask SirManc. Even without the broken leg, I think he'd has quite a few issues over his career that have limited him from playing full Bundelisga seasons. Look at him now even - came to us and had to sit because of this knee tendonitis, and now he's played 1 match for us and may potentially miss Spurs because of his knees again!

That's close enough to injury-prone for me. We knew that coming in though.

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He did pick up quite the number of tedious injuries at Bayern. I remember he tore his tight muscle only to come back to tear his calf muscle. He had injuries like this on and off, and then had that broken leg which is usually followed by what he's going through now.

Part of it is bad luck, but the same applies to guys like Saha.

10. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If that's true then we're mad to be buying him. Saha's total inability to stay fit is a pain is the **** so to buy a player who we need, but is injury prone makes no sense at all. If this is the case then maybe Frings, Senn or Duscher would have been a more reliable buy?

11. Iggles

Iggles Member

Feb 10, 2007

To: DS

Thanks for the challenge of looking up old posts. I thought this was the best thread to bring back and Vermont Red made some excellent points. I don't think there was too many disagreements and this thread quickly died despite my not posting in it. Lack of cover at striker has been a season long theme and Anderson (except 433 Tom and a few others) has progressed faster than anticipated. Hargreaves has been the only signing debated negatively starting with Harry's learning about his injury history on August 24th. Good stuff.

12. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought this guy watched him at Bayern? Bullshit so strong you can smell it through telephone wires and computer screens, across oceans even.

13. keepergirl

keepergirl New Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Well, he was pretty sturdy. His injury at the WC 2002 (courtesy of Michael Owen) was his first. He had hernia surgery in fall 2005 I think, and missed much of the 2005/06 season. Then came back and bounced DeMichaelis out of the Bayerrn starting 11. Then the broken leg in 2006, which saw him out for most of 2006/07. The patellar tendinitis is the most worrisome injury to date. In my personal and painful experience, it can become quite chronic unless the underlying mechanics are taken care of. So hopefully United have better access to good physio than I had!

14. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Posted by...................me. When we first signed him. :eek:

His inability to stay fit has crippled his ability to even begin to settle into the side. Meh. He looked good at the weekend. I ope this is the start of something beautiful because there's nothing more frustrating than injured players. It's possiby THE reason our CL campaign went up in smoke last year.....