I'm addicted to San Francisco burritos...

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by 655321, Nov 5, 2003.

1. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    When I was out in April for 5 days, I had 4 burritos from Cancun. And that's not counting the two I brought back on the plane with me.

For the record, Cancun burritos do not set off the metal detectors at the security checkpoints.

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Yep, Cancun is good, good stuff...

3. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Burritos and vietnamese food were two of the hardest things about moving from SF to Michigan.

Of course, that list is pretty long.

4. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Whereabouts?

And F all of you for getting to live in SF.

We go out to Pt. Reyes every summer for a couple of weeks, and this year, because of select soccer, we are staying in wonderful DFW.

I am going to kill myself.

5. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And did you? Again, not quite Burritos, but Gratitude Cafe on 20th and Harrison is outstanding. I work in the Mission, at 16th and Mission. My clients including Global Exchange and SFUSD.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Frisco Burritos are over rated, IMO. I just don't get excited about all that rice and stuff inside my taco.

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I walk by there almost every morning, but I prefer Atlas Cafe on 20th and Florida.

I'm on 16th and Potrero, like six blocks from you.

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    You talking burritos or tacos??

9. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    take 75 north, get off on, i think, mockingbird, head west to greenville road, and then take a left (north).

it might noy be the mockingbird exit but its in greenville. look for a black logo with a white circle with a backwards F inside.

10. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    About a month ago, there was a series of articles in the food section of NY Times about a Vietnamese place in SF called the Slanted Door. Is that place that good?

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm talking about oversized tacos filled with too much rice and wrapped closed - aka Frisco Burrito. Not my cup of Mate.

I just realized I'm trolling.

Seriously, I'm just not crazy about all that rice and stuff - they're too big and filling and often seem sort of bland to me. I'd much rather eat tacos than burritos.

12. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    It used to be amazingly good when it first opened. I haven't eaten there in years, because I moved and because it moved out of my price range before I moved.

This place was right around the corner from me when it first opened. It started as a slightly upscale, but affordable Vietnamese place and as it got popular, the prices went from $9 to $11 eventually to $21. I think the location itself moved from the Mission to the Embarcadero because it wasn't in its old place when I was in SF in August.

With that said, the food was great. They had something called "Shaking Beef" which was cubed filet mignon served with this lime/salt/nam pla dipping sauce that was the best beef dish I've ever had.

The Vietnamese place I really miss, though, is Tu Lan, at 6th and Market. Totally scuzzy part of the city. Great rice vermicelli with bbq pork and imperial rolls and pho.

13. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    This is exactly why I never liked El Farolito. Way too much rice and it felt like it kept expanding in your stomach afterward.

14. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

Plus, they charge for chips...a big no-no.

15. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    With the 3 pounds of rice in their burritos, this is a blessing in disguise. You might go Monty Python if you got chips.

I saw in the survey early in this thread that they got #3 in the rankings. Nothing like being next to a Bart stop to boost your numbers.

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    That's not trolling, it's a common complaint among people. I have friends who have lived in the Mission for years and never eat burritos because of the massive food coma you go into afterwards. They stick with tacos and/or quesadilla suizas (sic??)...which are f'ing good, I just can't have all that cheese.

17. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I just can't eat a burrito without chips and green sauce (sorry, salsa verde).

Yea, I'm not a big fan of El Farolito, either. My girlfriend is on 23rd and Capp, which is right around the corner. I'm on 16th and S. Van Ness...so between her and I, we have El Castillito, CanCun, El Buen Sabor, El Toro, Pancho Villa, El Faro...dozens more. I prefer Papalote on 24th and Valencia, though. El Castillito has the best green sauce, though, period end of discussion.

18. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Must have opened after I left Dallas, cause I don't remember that at all...

19. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Thanks Own Goal. I may try that soon. It's in my neighborhood. Haven't noticed it though.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    i walked round the mission just monday afternoon and had probably the best veggie burrito i have ever had. damn that was some good ********. i need to get back.

21. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just spent the past 2.5 weeks in Oaxaca. The food was unbelievably good. Their moles are not to be trifled with. The seafood was stunning.

Tomorrow I go iback nto work in the Mission. There is going to be a massive shock to my system. I probably should just pack my lunch and eat at my desk.

22. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

Have you been to Panchitas No. 3 yet?? It's pretty upscale...really good. It's on 22nd, between Capp and South Van Ness.

23. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

Where did you get it??

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

La Taqueria? I think that was the name.

25. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    ah, yes...so good. Man, you went pretty deep into the Mission, did you make it anywhere around 16th St??

And it's a pretty good thing I never heard from you that night. My roommate and I ended up getting really loaded and stayed up all night drinking and being stupid.