'I'm a fascist not a racist' insists Di Canio

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by Catfish, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  3. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Di Canio should of explained that first time. I dont think it should be allowed anymore because what if other players wo tink like him does the same. We will have several players doing the Fasist salute. That is the past and strictly used and known for World War 2. If you are a fascist perhaps express it in a different way or explain yourself when you do it. You do not need to do it more than ounce... he did it many times that he grabbed every soccer fan in this situation and now he did it to the pointwhere punishment is half way thought about.

4. DrKotoh

DrKotoh Member

May 5, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I'm also with Di Canio. Personally, it seems ludicrous for someone to support fascism and be an admirer of Mussolini but FIFA shouldn't punish him for his political views. Unfortunately, I'm not Italian so I don't know how Mussolini is perceived in modern-day Italy but let him have his own political beliefs.

5. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fascism (n.) - a system of government charaterized by dictatorship, belligerent nationalism, RACISM, etc.

6. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    I see no problem with FIFA punishing him for expressing his views at football games. I'm sure they'd have no problem with him expressing his views in a more suitable forum.

7. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, didn't Mussolini adopt Hitler's racist policy that led to persecution of Jews and the creation of apartheid in the Italian empire?

8. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ok Pablo go to the other Di Canio thread where they talk about that for pages and pages long. Go there and talk do not spoil this thread

9. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  10. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nazi/Fascist salute is not a thing of the past. It is very much alive and well, and to many of us it represents more than a simple reference to WW2.

Di Canio is entitled to his political opinion, but he NEVER should have made the salute at a match. He received his warning and now he should be made an example of for continuing to do so.

I'm sorry if my comments are "spoiling" this precious thread.

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he should do it. But even as a jew, I don't think he should be suspended or anything. Let the world see him for the idiot that he is.

12. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    you're comments are fine and welcome. Your take on Mussolini in particular is off and we were just trying to point you to that info so this thread wouldnt be a repeat.

13. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

14. alidog

alidog New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    A Fascist IS by nature a racist, especially when its safe and convienient for them, as when they are in a group of brownshirts, after the holocaust they lost their right to exist. He is to be condemned for the stupid fool he is and should never be allowed to profit from our game

15. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the Lazio-Juve match on TV the other day and wondered what was going on with the chanting in the stands.

Unlike most stadiums where the fans chant in unison, some of the time there appeared to be one fan yelling out (on a megaphone?) and then thousands responded back.

Kind of creepy, since it sounded a lot like the Hitler rallys you'd see on old news reels.

16. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing some quick reading, I can see why so many people are troubled by his actions/beliefs. I find it pretty disturbing that people in this day and age even would consider these ideas as personal ideology.

However, as objectioable as I personally find them, I do believe in freedom of speech, so i don't think he should be banned or fined for his views. Let him show the world what an idiot he is on his own.
    Besides, if we aren't going to ban all forms of salutions/acknowlegements to whatever/whomever we believe in, why are we singling him out? There shouldn't be any rules against being a dumb-@$$ idiot.

Lee

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do that at all games, they have one guy lead the song and then the rest sing along. I think it's pretty neat.

Guess you don't like drill instructors in the military then, since they do cadences all the time and it's the same exact thing.

18. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    "I'm an idiot, not an educated human being"

19. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I think that Di Canio should be allowed to express his views in any way he feels necessary. Who is he hurting by doing the salute? Is he causing someone physical harm? Sure, the salute is a symbol of terrible things but he is willing to accept that label. Don't take his occupation away from him for his political beliefs or you will just be doing what the facists used to do.

20. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am guessing the "creepy" part wasn't the action itself, but the message contained there-in.
    Just speculating though.

Lee

21. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    The problem there being that it's HE who mixes his profession and his political beliefs. If he were to express his opinion in a suitable forum, on his personal time, I'm sure FIFA wouldn't have taken the actions which they took.

22. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I simply don't see it as being any different than the players who point to "God" when scoring a goal or doing the cross-your-heart thing (I forget what its called) when stepping on/off the pitch. All at once those things are spiritual/religious/political and banning one seems hypocritical to me.

The ONLY reason they banned/fined DiCanio is because his views are not the majority. Nothing of this nature is "right or wrong", its personal belief system stuff, and that can't be relegated.

Lee

23. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    This is true, however what gives them the right to threaten him? I am not worried about him being banned because he will win any appeal due to freedom of speech. However, it would give Lazio even more bad publicity which I feel is unfortunate because there is nothing the club could have done.

24. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I agree, I wonder how Fifa would react if a player made a Stalinist gesture or wore a shirt under his uniform with the sickle and hammer on it, and displayed it after scoring a goal or after the game.

25. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the right to freedom of speech in Italy equivilent to that of the United States? I honestly don't know.

Lee