Illinois High School Boy's Freshmen Rankings

Discussion in 'High School' started by Celtic3, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Submit your rankings!

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They're all terrible, so this is a matter of ranking from least to most terrible.

Also, I don't know who could possibly rank across Chicagoland, because the competition so localized.

Up north, Glenbrook South is undefeated and Stevenson looks pretty good. GBS has the team captain from the Sockers U15 team that won the Regional championship, what he is doing on a freshman team only a high school coach could know, but he's a pretty scary opponent for the B team types that make up most freshman teams.

3. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    OK so far
    Glenbrook South,
    Neuqua Valley
    Naperville North
    Stevenson

C'mon guys how about Sandburg, Lincoln Way, Naperville Central,DGS etc?

4. WisFan64

WisFan64 New Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Where do you find results for freshman games?

I can't argue your rankings... but Glenbrook North and Mundelein are both pretty good. I think Mundelein is undefeated, and GBN is 8-1, only having lost to Mundelein 1-0.

Its not completely apples-to-apples, but the U14 Northbrook team beat the Glenview team pretty easily last spring. I thought GBS added two Sockers players, but GBN added a Wind player (and has two FC United select players). GBN plays GBS in early October.

New Trier must be pretty good... I think they've got a half-dozen FC players.

5. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The problem with doing rankings for freshmen teams is that at any moment the best players can be called up a level. Most of the top freshmen atleast are playing on the soph team. Back when I was in high school, Wheaton had a player that ended up as an All American as a senior. The varsity coach had a policy for some reason to keep all freshmen at the freshmen. ( I think Simeon does the same thing for basketball) It was a joke; he probably had 40 goals playing half of each game. Wheaton North's freshmen went undefeated and people would have ranked them the #1 freshmen team but a school like St Charles had 3 freshmen on varsity and another 7 on sophmore.

6. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    All we can do is try to rank the teams playing and not try to allow for the number of eligible players playing on older teams.Gives a good overall picture of the overall strength-in-depth of a program.For example Neuqua's varsity team is all almost all seniors,only 4 playing up,2 juniors and 2 Sophmores.
    The Varsity team is 6-0-2, ranked 1st in State and 12th nationally.
    The JV team is 8-0-0,is all Juniors and is also quite strong and should be a good unit next year at Varsity Level.