Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    He has been too injury prone to buy imo for Madrid especially after their woes with bale and hazard.

Is this fight with Raiola affecting Halaand coming to old Trafford

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1. There's zero chance that the quoted figure is actually what Madrid believe. Perez is a known bullshitter and just recently acted like he didn't know who Pogba was. They know his market value.

2. It's the Daily ********ing Mail.

3. If Madrid and the rest of Europe really value Pogba at 50 mil, then you let him play out his contract and walk for free. The value he provides to the team is greater than that.

4. I hope that fat twat Mino gets stung by a swarm of bees.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - you can still extend him 1x so i guess a more sensible number has to be found

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3129 Ashur, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    I honestly do not believe that Pogba's injury history is the issue with Perez. He simply does not really fancy him for one reason or another and certainly not the way Zidane does.
    Perez already tried to offer James, plus a small amount of cash for him last summer. He's obviously not serious about getting him and is putting out token/BS offers to make it look like he tried but it's as far as it goes.
    Considering the source, it's valid to question if Real's valuation of 50mil is legitimate. But when you add the Perez factor, it's not that farfetched to believe it could be true .
    I think that Pogba to Real was never that real to begin with. Zidane is desperate for him and Pogs/his camp definitely fancy it as well. But Perez is the major obstacle. And it's no coincidence that since last summer, Juve is being talked up more as his eventual destination when it wasn't before. And it very much remains to be seen whether they will be willing to shell out the money United want for him.
    Lots of talk already that they also want to do a cash, plus player deal (with Rabiot or Ramsey as the sweeteners). They probably won't be as brazen as Real have been in terms of the cash offer but not sure they can raise anywhere close to the £120mil minimum it would take for Pogs.
    Either way, this is not going to be easy as I fully expect United to stand their ground on this since they still very much have the leverage on their side.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I could see teams really trying to lowball us if there was a clear division between the player and club AND he was down to a year left on his contract. But with two years left, Pogba and other clubs really dont have that much leverage.

6. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Is it two years or one year?

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He has one year left but Utd do that contract where the club can unilaterally extend 1x

So basically 2

Chaz Striker repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah, let him go to Madrid at 28

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If we can't get 120M or more, Pogba plays out his last 2 years at the club. Simple as. He can pout, but I'd make it clear that he can tell Raiola to shut up and he himself can tow the line or he can rot in the reserves. If he leaves here at 29, not having played for 3 seasons and not playing for France, he'll have seriously injured his career and his legacy.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    DM reporting, so who knows but if legitimate this is interesting. Could be for a couple of different reasons: maybe he is really finally satisfied with what could look like an actual project worth sticking around for now at United. Conversely, he might be aware that neither of the clubs interested in him (Juve and Real) can afford or are not really interested in him (like Perez at Real).
    Still expecting this saga to have a few additional twists and turns, but if he does sign a new contract, as long as he and especially Raiola cut the BS, I obviously won't be unhappy about it in the least.
    We already could have a pretty good team as it is next and he can only make it better. Like Grealish but Pogs is of different stock of course. I guess we'll see how things go once he returns for starter. Actions speak louder than words when it's all said and done.

12. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i dont want him to get back on the side this season, let alone next year. let's move forward with talented players that actually want to be here.

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Been thinking about this a lot.

Most of the time i feel the same. Other times I am curious to see if Bruno can help Pogba too. Even if its just to get top this season.

Futbol_Head and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  14. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I think we should absolutely give it a go but not be upset if, by the end of the season, we feel he's not a good fit or interested. We needed this Bruno to come in two years earlier. Right now the timing's off and it makes sense that we just start again with someone else who fits less awkwardly.

Though if the choice is Pogba or Grealish, then Pogba every day.

benni... repped this.
  15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Been thinking about this too. Think ogs is doing a good job quietly. If he can get Pogba motivated through the rest of the season and extend his contract, that would be his best achievement. Would set it up for Poch to come in and have something to allow us to be truly competitive.

We have seen pp put in the type of performance we desire in the past.

Would be mouth watering

girrdib repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

27 today: how time flies. Just hope he'll be there, at the club, when football resumes (whenever it is). And we finally get to see the very best of him on a consistent basis. Really miss actually him, a lot.

topnoevili and girrdib repped this.
  17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    This break in play may be a curse ( unbeaten in 11), but it also may be a blessing. It gives Ole a bunch of time to figure out a way to get fit Pogba in. Also get fitter before he plays.

Fred has to play. So if its not a double pivot with Fred and Pogba, its a diamond for me.

18. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol Veiled stab at Nabby?

Mct fred pp with bf at the top?

I am good with it.

With a fully fit squad it is martial and rash then?

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Elaborate. But keep it simple. Not Jcan folklore speak.

20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Recent game pregame discussion ashur suggested a diamond setup. Nabby vehemently chewed him out over it.. lineup came out and sure enough it was a diamond midfield.

So anytime I hear diamond I can't help but remember that exchange.

Anyway, our fullbacks might be a little weak going forward to employ the 4diamond2 that I showed above, no?

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield was always the way to go for this season, had it not been disrupted (and still will be should it resumes at some point). Toyed with the idea of playing Fred as a 6 but not sure it's a good idea, considering it would probably take away what makes him very good as a shuttling B2B/8. And McTominay and an in form Matic are just better suited to that position than he is.
    But as stated, the way he's performed in the past few months and with how important he has become to the team's overall scheme, Fred has to play and is arguably one of the first name of the teamsheet nowadays.
    The real question will be what to do if we were to keep Pogba somehow next season and manage to add Sancho to the mix. Then the 4-4-2 could be an option but surely it can't the team's go to anymore, with the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 probably being the main alternatives with that personnel.
    Coming back to the 4-4-2, there were questions/complaints about Shaw/AWB's capabilities going forward and provide the width required to make that setup work. But we've seen in recent games how both have improved in that area (or at the very least have shown a willingness to push up the way they were supposed to).
    In the end, if we wanted to see Bruno, Fred and Pogs being effectively played in the same team together, it really would have been the way to go. And I'd be intrigued about exploring it further if/when play resumes this season. Think Ole recognized this also, hence why he started to try it, with Pogba's return coming up: do not believe it was a coincidence in the least.

22. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Ugh.

The man says we should play a diamond all ********ing year, then we play it once because of an injury to our final available wide player (and get dominated in the 2nd half as a result by the way) and now that's all J'Can can think about.

Next we'll be hearing that the Mayans were ********ing geniuses because the bat that guy ate may have been born in 2012.

FWIW, no we should not be shoehorning all of our midfielders into a 4-D-2. It might work against some teams, in very specific circumstances and the opponents are bad at the high press. But we need wide players. We need width. We've used the diamond as a Hail Mary due to injuries, and it didn't work. We can try a 4-2-2-2, but we still need a wide-type player in that attacking 2. We have to play Fred and Pogba and hope Pogba can put in the work rate. Otherwise we can play Bruno as one of the wide players with Rashford on the left, and have him roam.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think we've got a host of options. I don't think the diamond works without Rashford and Martial both fit. Rashford's extreme pace and ability to beat players and also his goal threat make the diamond work optimally.

Obviously we don't really have the fullbacks for it, but it isn't out of the question because we could field a midfield that can impose its will on opponents and have multiple creative and dribbling threats.

I think a hybrid formation would be best.

Something that would look like this when we are defending:

------------------------------Martial
    LW-------------------------------------------------------Bruno
    ---------------Pogba------------------------------Fred
    ------------------------------McTominay
    Shaw---------------------------------------------------------------AWB
    ------------------Maguire---------------------Bailly

narrow on the right side defensively as Bruno will press with Martial and AWB can handle his flank by his lonesome. Teams that try to overload, let him deal with it and Bruno will find space on the right and can release our midfield and forward runners.

In possession:

-------------<<LW>>--------------------<<Martial>>
    --------------------------------Bruno
    Pogba
    ----------------McTominay-----------------Fred

The forwards rotate and crisscross, Bruno is the 10 and has license to roam. Pogba also has license to roam, but will operate mostly from a LM position.

Basically a lopsided 433 defensively, leaning on AWBs defending and cross denial skills, allowing Bruno to find space wherever he pleases in transition but nominally in the right half space. Alternately, this can be swapped to the left and Greenwood utilized as the hybrid winger/ss position which is probably the best use for him.

If the press is giving us problems, having Pogba deep, but on the left could free Shaw or Williams to be a runner and link w/ the LW and force teams to press Pogba but in a position that is less dangerous than a central location, allow McTominay to sit between the CBs and Fred to find space.

The added benefit of splitting Pogba and Bruno is that if you want to mark them both, you are going to leave lots of room.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States