IFAB 2024

Discussion in 'Referee' started by weka, Nov 28, 2023.

1. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    At its Annual Business Meeting (ABM) held in London today, which was chaired by Ian Maxwell, Chief Executive of the Scottish Football Association, The IFAB focused on measures to improve participant behaviour in football and increase respect for match officials.

Read more: https://www.theifab.com/news/ifab-a...3ZEd8WTWmeBXOWlCK8W-NQ6azG68GqOKVGrTPlpdjOepU

Thought I'd post IFAB related news here. Let me know if there's another place it should rather be.

edcrocker repped this.
  2. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    temporary dismissals! Oh that's interesting.

3. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many days is it going to be before someone cautions a non-captain player for speaking to them cause a referee just decided to enforce this news immediately?

StarTime repped this.
  4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    "successful trial involving match officials wearing body cameras at grassroots level"
    Interesting and troubling

From the "Principles"
    • The equipment will be provided by the national FA and will remain the property of the national FA
    • Footage will only be used by the national FA’s discipline departments as supporting evidence, where deemed necessary and appropriate
    • All footage must be destroyed within 60 days and must not be stored by the national FA beyond that time
    The First - the US has > 13 million soccer players - the national FA will never afford this.
    The Second - unless subpoenaed by an outside agent
    The Third - is possibly illegal if evidence of a crime.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    "The ABM discussed potential strategies to address the time lost in matches and tactics aimed at disrupting the game’s tempo, including in relation to the six-second restriction for goalkeepers, delaying restarts and managing injuries."

Is there anything that can be done about the nonsense practice of keepers catching a routine ball near the end of the match and then diving to the ground to "secure" the ball?

It is a legal play but also time-wasting.

6. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    That’s an interesting coincidence that the MLS handball thing happened this weekend and now IFAB is discussing something regarding penalty kick handballs, although I’m not exactly sure what the wording here means they would consider doing “sanction the same way as fouls”

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  7. LongTimeLurker

Dec 24, 2019
    I've no suggestions for professional (or competent amateur) games. For my youth games, when the keeper catches and then dives (as you describe), I've been known to shout "KEEPER: your six seconds have started."

8. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    If implemented, The sin bin is going to be very controversial. It’s going to be yet another subjective referee decision that can have a major effect on the game. People seem to be behind reducing the referee crowding and want only the captain to talk, but as soon as a player gets a dissent yellow card and his team plays down for 5-10 minutes, they will rage about how thin skinned the ref is and how this is ruining the game.

And like people have said about VAR reviewing individual yellow cards to rescind/apply them, this will lead to lots of anger when a ref doesn’t give a yellow card that “should” have been because the team should be playing down

9. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

In college there is. Stop the game for an injury, stop the clock. Call the trainer.

The only draw back now is you have to do the ball. It used to be an ifk. If you did it 1x and told the GK when you went to check on his "wellbeing" that you're going to assume he is injured anytime he falls to the ground like this unnecessarily.

They always stop because they don't get what they want out of it.

In IFAB... you just have to manage it and suggest the 6 seconds could come into play.

Let's send IFAB a digest of our 6 second discussion from the other thread.

10. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Simple, crew must be at least Regionals before cameras are allowed

/s

AremRed, fairplayforlife and Law5 repped this.
  11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like we could be seeing some of the first really big changes since 2027.

12. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I wonder if this is aimed at the referees who automatically caution every PK for handling

13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are this prescient, can you let me know what the Powerball numbers will be tomorrow night and who will win the Super Bowl this year? :D Thanks in advance!

voiceoflg repped this.
  14. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time starts when possession is gained not when the keeper decides to fall on it or standup. If a referee wants to go down the path of enforcing time wasting on a keeper, they technically have the tools.

jarbitro and Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yeah, but without pushed down support from the top, a ref can’t realistically go on a crusade to to do that. Even with the blatant disregard GKs have for the rule, I can only think of one time ever that it is has been called in a professional game (USWNT v Canada) and that was what, a dozen years ago? There doesn’t necessaril Have to be a Law change, but there certainly has to be some guidance before Rs can realistically use the tool at most levels.

16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But we have no one willing to do that.

17. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    I assume this refers to the suggestion that I think came from UEFA to distinguish DOGSO-H offenses that are done "deliberately and intentionally" (send-off) from those that are not (caution). I am happy to be corrected on this.

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker and voiceoflg repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh good.

Look, MLS Next PRO, I get. Fine.

Being the experimental guinea pig for IFAB/FIFA ideas as an erstwhile "top" first division is so dumb. It reeks of 1998.

Maybe this comes through eventually. But this isn't VAR. There's fait accompli. MLS will look silly if it does this and it disappears, which I think is quite possible.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were the Emperor of Soccer, I’d trial this in MLS Next Pro and USL Leagues One and Two. I wouldn’t want to see it at either of the top levels in the respective “pyramids”, but I do want to see how it would work in practice at games higher than youth or amateur games.

MAYBE if people got ambitious, it would also be in the Open Cup so we could see USLC and MLS teams play in games. If we REALLY wanted to get ambitious, how about Leagues Cup since they already tried out the extra point for a shootout win?

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I’d say speculative more than generic. Didn’t seem to be much to support the “could be” then the timing of when the MLS season starts.

22. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose decision is this? I'd think that MLS would have to volunteer to do it as opposed to them being told. Then it comes down to what they get for doing it.

And for record, I think there are some advantages worth trying this out, but I hate the 'sin bin'. It feels like a 4th grader named it to me. But I'm getting old so my opinion on naming things is not overly relevant.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey we all use football, pitch, kit and draw. What's another phrase.

24. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Term first used in Australia, I think, for rugby.

25. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would explain the shortness and rhyming.

And, no, I don't have a better name right now. Is it not better to just complain without solutions?