If you were talking with Arsene Wenger and you knew he'd listen to you...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ... what one thing would you want to tell him.

I'd want to remind him that he's allowed three subs per game. It's like he's stuck in another decade when only one sub was allowed per game. If that is the case, you can't sub until 10 minutes left because you have to be prepared for an injury. But we get three subs, and he did use them this game, but if we are looking for a spark it seems silly to wait as long as Wenger usually takes. Whether we're talking about van Persie this year or Reyes last year, give them more than 10 minutes and let them have a decent run.

Substitutions can be a good thing.

2. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I'd tell him that I had several million pounds stashed in a off-shore account, and if he could just see to putting me on the team sheet for the Arsenal vs Man U game I'd happily transfer it too him.

3. MancunianGooner

MancunianGooner New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Get a plan 'B' you've been sourced out.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Open your eyes.

5. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy a freaking central defender in January!

6. huang88

huang88 New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    I'll tell Wenger to get rid of Cygan and Vieira (if he continues to play sh1t) and buy defender (What happened to Trabelsi) and also if we have money, buy Morientes who can help us in CL. He will be great replacement for Bergkamp when he retires.

7. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I'd put Henry in goals and have Cygan up front

8. huang88

huang88 New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Indeed, Cygan will score Hat-Trick for us with his "marvelous" header.

9. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Henry moved from winger to forward in his first stage of transformation
    and now in the final stage he will be a keeper

and as for Cygan
    this is the first stage of transformation..hell be a pro striker

10. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm sure he's already thinking this, but that's exactly what I would say.

11. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    this is a brilliant thread!
    i totally agree with that, and also the one about buying a frickin CD... but i'll go with this (although it is about subs) : take the risk of upsetting your favourite players, b'coz all their previous glory isn't going to matter if their current form stinks... even henry can be benched... :eek: really :rolleyes:

12. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Bare in in mid though, that each substitution adds 30 seconds more to the match time. Therefore all 3 subs in a minute and a half.

A lot can happen in a minute and a half of football and if its a close run thing the last thing you want to do is be adding more time to the match.

13. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Play more defensively in the Champions League. It's not the Premiership and you have to watch your ass a bit more.

14. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    After the Blackburn defeat in the Worthington Cup 3 or so years ago in which we lost 4-0, I saw Arsene about a month later and asked him if he could play Gilles Grimandi on the wing as he did such a good job against Blackburn. He laughed at me. Arsene is doing is great job and I wouldn't change any decision of his what so ever.

15. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Rick, don't you feel his substitution pattern is a bit distressing.. i know he has rarely wavered from it (bring on someone for the last 15 or so minutes)...
    It was painfully obvious super bob didnt have it yesterday and should of been taken off at the break, IMO. maybe resting henry for ONE match wouldnt be all that bad of an idea either.. maybe im just thinking outside of the box.
    thank the good lord above we have him though.
    cheers

16. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    I would ask wenger whether he is related to cygan? thats the only logical explanation :rolleyes:

17. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but at the same time, fresh legs and stronger defenders/attackers can also make a big difference to the game.

18. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    I agree about the substitution issues. He doesn't seem to use them as much or as soon as I would like.

I would also say, "Why don't we work a little on crosses and headers?" I think if we could just get a few goals from set pieces it could take pressure off of us in other areas. We don't have to be grat at it, just better. Just aboutany way you can score goals is a good way.

19. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the headers. The team needs to improve it's "arsenal" ;) of weapons with witch to score!

20. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    id be happy if we were AVERAGE... i cant even remember the last set piece goal we scored... was it cygan a couple years ago?? i think i remember campbell getting one... it really is sad that all those free kicks are total wastes when in fact they SHOULD be golden opportunities to nick a goal.

21. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easily the most important thing AW can do in January. We need help bad. Sol is getting older, is injured a fair amount, and may leave in the summer. Cygan is...not a defender, at least not an EPL champions-level one, not even as a backup.

We could use someone on the right mid/fb to give Lauren cover or replace him and possibly offer some additional cover for Ljung.

Another striker (someone who can actually score headers for example) would be nice but with Reyes and RVP, this isn't pressing.

It would be nice to have a good AMC especially for those tricky away games in europe but now I'm just getting greedy.