If you were pissed about the Cerritos trade

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by BillP, Sep 15, 2003.

1. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Tell me what you think now. When I first heard the news I was happy. But, I came to the boards and so many people were pissed off, saying it was a bad move, pandering to the ES community, etc. It's only been a few games, but Cerritos has been on fire and now Earnie is starting to play like we hoped and I think it has a lot to do with his pairing up with Cerritos.

For the record, I appreciate Ali's love for United and wish him all the best, but still believe that the move was a good one.

So, for all those who said it was a bad move, what do you think now?

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As far as the Cerritos for Curtis swap goes, at the time I didn't think it was good or bad. I'm pretty sure I said something like I didn't really see what either team gained. I was livid about the first draft pick.

But I was a Curtis detractor. I liked him but he was a final 15-minute kind of player and nothing more. He was effective for a couple games as a starter but then opposing defenses began to figure him out and he was never quite the same kind of threat after that. The real problem was that he couldn't adapt or expand his game to counteract those defenses. As a player he's limited. But I never doubted his heart, desire or commitment.

As for Curtis, I had lost track of him. He wasn't playing much and when he was it was for Dallas and everyone sucked at Dallas. Sure he was great a few years ago but I had my doubts about what was left in the tank.

So overall, the Curtis for Cerritos trade didn't make much sense to me because I didn't see what either team gained.

Of course now I'm quite happy with Cerritos. So what didn't I anticipate? I didn't anticipate him working so well with Stewart. That pairing has really sold this trade for me.

I'm still miffed about the first round draft pick though. But if he links up with Earnie for a few more goals then I might forget about that too.

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was ticked off about the trade. I wasn't so mad at Cerritos coming here, though he had been unproductive, it turns out he just needed some gametime.

I was ticked off at the cost. Two picks and Curtis. I thought (and kinda still do) that the future cost of a youngish #3 forward, and sometimes starter, on the team AND a #1 pick, AND a throwaway pick (6th round or something), was too high for Cerritos and, essentially, cash.

That said, Cerritos has certainly fit in and helped the overall team production.

4. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I wasn't pissed about the trade, it was more shock than anything else. It came out of left field. I mean, you never want to see one of your favorite players traded. That said, it looks like Ray did the right thing. Cerritos and Stewart are going to be a very potent combination. I look forward to what they are going to bring us as the playoffs are not far away.

5. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I was very sorry to see Curtis go, and didn't know much about Cerritos the past couple of years. I was also annoyed at what seemed to be pandering to the ES community. I don't like the ethnic pandering (although my wife is hoping for Irish Appreciation Night).

The draft choice didn't bother me, since Ray's record with draft picks is so poor. Of his two first rounders from last year, one sees sporadic action and the other hasn't had a minute of MLS time. With Hudson & Co doing the picking, we might do well just to follow the old George Allen formula of trading picks for established players,if the salary cap will permit. The Ali for Cerritos deal certainly supports that approach.

6. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I had mixed feelings about it, and truthfully still do. I like Cerritos because he's a good player and a good guy. As I said when we made the move, Cerritos is definitely more of a finisher than Curtis, and a better player overall, so I had no qualms at all over that part of it. And, if the result of the salary cap vs. First Round Draft pick was actually to make way for some fantastic forward (Argentinian if Hudson is to be believed) that would shock and impress us, then I don't mind losing the First Round pick for that kind of talent either.

But we received no new superstar, and we gave up a young forward who was having a bit of a breakthrough year for a forward who was oft-injured and unproductive on a last place team. It just seems like the price was a bit high for the circumstance. I wonder what the trade would have looked like without the cap space?

But if Cerritos continues his current form and stays healthy, it looks to be a brilliant trade. He is every bit the target player with speed that Curtis was--and probably superior to Dante Washington as well. It addresses our most dire need and he pairs well with other good players like Stewart. I'd say that Cerritos has at least 3 more good years at this level. Considering last season's draft was truly fantastic, and that we had the top pick overall, and he's still warming the bench, I'd say Cerritos warrants the trade of Curtis and the pick all by himself. Even in a best case scenario with the pick, who is to say that a Twellman-esque draftee stays in MLS more than 3 years?

I'm tentatively optimistic about this trade. I was unsure before, but now I'm leaning towards praising Ray for this move. Let's just hope Ronald stays healthy.

-Digital

7. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think I was somewhat supportive of the trade when it happened. My only real upset/anger over the trade is: if DCU had signed Dante Washington in the offseas (for less than we pay Cerritos), we'd have never have made this deal. Curtis probably wouldn't have played (b/c we'd have penciled in Dante and he'd have been the aerial, target, hard-running finisher that the team needed--to some extent anyway). And then we wouldn't have made the deal for Cerritos. That's my take anyway.

I don't like giving up draft choices. But last year the Burn gave up a #1 in order to get cap room so they could sign David Vaudreil (technically, the argument was to sign a backup keeper but the Fire fans have always attributed this to Vaudreil). And that was a trade with Dallas. So, we needed cap room (either to get the Argie or anyone making substantially more than Curtis) and that's a #1. I don't love it but that's apparently the asking price. Our only real options then were: either stand pat (not much of a solution given the production of our forwards all season) or make a deal to create some cap room. OR, maybe you hope that a budget option (Thiago Martins anyone) will come through and be the finisher the team has lacked.

Bottom line: I wasn't upset with the deal at the time. But do wish the team had been better put together at the start of the season. We ended last season knowing we needed a D-mid/holding mid and a finisher. After all the changes and roster movement and allocations and trades, our "answers" for those 2 slots were originally on the roster (Curtis and Nelsen) and we've concluded neither is the real answer.

8. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Tron, I think your analysis is nearly always spot-on, but I'm not sure we can classify Ali has having a breakthrough year. Wasn't it something like one goal in 17 games?

That said, I think that we definitely do have to give Hudson/Trask/Kasper credit for seeing more in the generally unproductive third striker of a team below us than one of our starting forwards and pulling the trigger on the trade, ethnic pandering be damned.

9. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    I was one of the few optimistic ones with the trade, but I was surprised to see Stewart's game also improve. Double Bonus!

Now the issue is: are we planning on getting rid of Eskandarian and/or Santino? If not, why did we get Martins and Cerritos?

our team is starting to look good... me likey

10. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eskandarian stays.

I think Martins has 6 weeks to show that he belongs on an MLS roster.

Clips from Hudson's interviews hint that Hudson may be a little frustrated at Tino's health. Hudson seems to be high on Tino's ability or potential. But that does the team no good if he's in street clothes. Tino is the player I most expect to get moved in the offseason.

11. Doug Dobey

Doug Dobey New Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about Curtis was he always seemed like he was about to break out. He'd make brilliant runs at goal embarassing two or three defenders at a time only to try and push his luck/skill and get dispossessed in front of goal. I always admired his confidence and skills, but found myself shouting "pass the damn ball!" whenever he got himself in the danger area. If he learns to look for options after his initial penetrating run he's going to be an amazing player. That said, and the fact that his finishing skills still want improving, I think results win over loyalty in this instance.

As far as "pandering" to the Salvadoran community is concerned, fine by me. I love seeing Salvadorans in DC, Mexicans in SoCal, Eastern Europeans in Chicago and local players on their corresponding local teams. I think it really adds to the flavor of MLS.

12. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

I'm still burned (no pun intended, I swear) about the Ali trade, but hell, we're getting results and looking good doing it. Stewart and Cerritos look like a damn good pairing up front. If we overtake the Scum, I'll keep all bitching to a minimum.

13. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't bothered by Ali for Cerritos, straight up, but the draft picks thrown in are certainly overpaying, I think.

14. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    change can help

Obviously the change in scenery has helped revive Cerritos to his former self. I mean how would you like going from a team doomed to miss the playoffs and land on one that has a good chance of making the post season. I can't understand why Dallas isn't starting Ali, everytime I see him he looks like their most dangerous player yet he get very few minutes.

15. sockerfan

sockerfan New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    San Jose
    I just want to say:
    The problem is not with Ali playing bad or not playing at all, the problem is with The Dallas Coaches, they just don't understand the game. (what can you expect from a $35k paid coaches)
    Ali is going to suffer just like Cerritos and other good players have. The League don't give a crap about Dallas right now, Too bad...

I hope the best for Ali and for Cerritos....

DC, get ready for the Play-Offs

16. I was cautiously optimistic about the trade, for what its worth.

Most of the hostility to it was down to two factors. Firstly, there always seems to be hostility to any trade, especially with popular players like Curtis. For example, I remember on the old SE mailing list many people were not happy with the Rammel for Wegerle trade, and once Wegerle was established, trading him for Roy Lassiter wasn't universally well received either. Secondly, many people on BS IMHO overestimate the importance of draft picks in the makeup of a successful team. Sure, its a factor, but acquiring talented, experienced players like Cerritos is just as important. We have a young team with several developmental players, so I don't think giving away next years 1st pick would have hurt us unduly. Its clear that acquiring Cerritos has transformed the team, since now we have two guys upfront who can work together, create, and also hold the ball when necessary. None of that was possible with Curtis. And even if it hadn't worked out, I would defend the trade in terms of what it was trying to do.

I do agree, however, with those who asked why this couldn't have happened earlier (like before the season started).

17. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think it was the worse trade EVER! (sorry Mike you know I love your passion!! :D)

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Would it have been overpaying if we had been able to use the extra money on a big allocation after the Convey sale?

Sure we don't know how much truth there was behind Hudson's statements about the big player, but what if?

19. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think more people were kinda disappointed to see Ali go than the overall trade. I'm glad he was traded and not just told to go home.

20. Upper90s

Upper90s New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Ashburn ,Va
    I think it's the worst trade ever in DC history. Dc traded the team’s workhorse. The man was energy personified a real life Energizer Bunny. Dc had players to trade. Q2, Barkley(before he got hurt) Q1( before he got hurt) but you don't take the lighting bolt out of Zeus' hands. The way the Cerritos is playing right now is Awesome. He is the best complement to Ali.They both have the speed and the ability to create open space. Cerritos might have alot more ball control but they could have finished each other goal like the Stewart did the other night. With the Youth they both posses and the amazing skill they would have the best duo in any sport.

21. jkorzen

jkorzen New Member

Jun 25, 2001
    washington, dc
    No problem at all with this trade. Its nice that so many DCU fans (including myself) respected Ali Curtis for playing so hard and consistently showing heart out on the field. But he didn't score enough goals, bottom line, and he's a forward.

I confess to not knowing much about Cerritos before now, but I was extremely impressed with his play on Saturday night. Not bad at all for a guy who has only been with the team for three weeks.

Our local Salvadorean community is great. So many passionate soccer fans a good people. I don't know if its pandering or not, but I'm glad if there are a few players on United they can feel represent their community.

22. StanfordSam

StanfordSam New Member

May 10, 2001
    I imagine Ali Curtis would crawl all the way back to D.C. if the next coach at Dallas doesn`t rate him and even if he does.The guy obviously loved his time in RFK and it`s undeniable he was a revalation with DC`s coaching staff.....
    Come back Al!

Still a great trade though...

23. sockerfan

sockerfan New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    San Jose
    The problem will continue with Ali and the Dallas Burned, because Mike was not really the problem, it was his ass-istant ( the new coach) he was the one running the show, nothing will change until next year when they clean house....
    You'll see.....

24. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    My mother always liked to say 'I told you so' as well...

25. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Was she right?