If you know about soccer...I need your help

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by pinkie22, May 27, 2003.

1. pinkie22

pinkie22 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    so cal
    hello all...
    i am writing my thesis on the sociological and psychological devlopment of male athletes who turn pro at a young age (with or without any college experience). I have interviewed both former athletes and current athletes from other professional leagues in the US but don't know much of anything about who is young and successful in the MLS. So....you guys know all this so could you send me suggestions of who you think would be a good subject? I do need to interview the player (either via phone, email or in person) so please keep in mind players who you think would be willing to do it? Also, if you know a good way to get in touch with them??

I have been moderately successful so far, inteviewing Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tyson Chandler, Francisco Rodriguez, and Paul Kariya. I would like some more athletes who grew up outside CA. Oh, and Landon...he has helped me with some research about his time in Germany before so I can use him but I would like a different perspective.

Someone suggested Kyle Martino (?) can anyone suggest a good way to get in touch with him or his team??

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  3. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another young successful Crew player is Edson Buddle.

DaMarcus Beasley for the Chicago Fire just turned 21. He starred for the USA in the World Cup last year.

Ricardo Clark is a rookie for the MetroStars. He's having a good season thus far.

Taylor Twellman of the New England Revolution left college early to play pro ball in Germany.

A non MLS player who may offer some good insight is John O'Brien of Ajax Amsterdam, the Netherlands. He's a US National Team player who left the States as a teenager to train with Ajax, one of the top teams in Holland.

www.mlsnet.com, as well as the individual team websites might have contact information for someone who could put you in touch with their agents. If you were able to get in touch with Kobe Bryant, talking to these guys should be no problem.

4. pinkie22

pinkie22 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    so cal
    thanks everyone

Thank you for replying! You have all given great leads. I actually talked to Peter Wilt today and am expecting calls from DaMarcus Beasley and Justin Mapp within the next few days. HOwever, keep the suggestions coming...I will talk to anyone. John O'Brien is a really great idea.
    Thanks again.
    P.S. A professor of mine knows Phil Jackson, so that made talking to Kobe pretty easy....soccer players on the other hand are much harder.

5. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The phone number for the Major League Soccer front office is 212-450-1200. They may be able to help you get in touch with some people.

Mark S. Levinstein is the lawyer who represents the United States National Soccer Players Association. His number is 202-434-5012. John O'Brien and Taylor Twellman are among the players in the Players Association. They'd probably be good to talk to for your thesis. The complete list of players is at http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/players.

6. endresmd

endresmd New Member

Jun 24, 2003
    PA
    Soccer Young Pro Player thesis

Kyle Martino @ Columbus Crew should be approachable. Get in touch with the stadium offices. Real young and new a having success, but not enough yet to be jaded I would think, are Mike Magee (Metrostars) and Chris Albright (LA Galaxy). A real prize to get would be the Twellman brothers, but who knows.....It may be easier to pick folks (like to 2 just mentioned) who are not (yet) getting nods from Bruce Arena for the US Men's team. With the money losing situation in MLS they ALL should be willing to talk and promote the sport here! Good luck....

7. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    Joselito Vaca from Dallas. He's young, been in MLS for 2-3 year, is from Bolivia. He's the #10 on the Bolivian National Team.

8. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States