If You HAD to Vote for a Third Party, Who Would it Be?

Discussion in 'Elections' started by DoctorJones24, Oct 23, 2004.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
  2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just ask me which terrorist group id like to be captured and beheaded by?

3. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Well, then I'd feel compelled to at least OFFER the alternative of the Reeps or Dems.

4. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the rest of us vote on which terrorist group gets to capture and behead you?
    ;)

5. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    I would vote for Bush first, Peroutka second, and Badnarik third.

If Peroutka had a supportive stance on the war on terrorism, I would vote for him over Bush.

I also don't agree with Peroutka's anti-marriage amendment stance. He says leave it up to the states. I say let the states vote on the amendment.

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Make sure that verybdog gets a copy of the video.

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    well, at least here in germany I vote green, but I guess they differ a lot to the American green party... Not Nader, I know that ;-)

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I couldn't find the website for the American Whig Party. I'd like to know what their current platform is.

9. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I visited those web sites and honestly, it's the Reform Party that most closely mirrors my opinions on the issues.

The Greens are too crunchy, the Constitution Party is far too conservative, I don't agree with the Libertarians views on corporate regulation and could not find anything on their web site about protecting the environment.

While I'm not sure I agree with the Reform Party's stance on tax reform, I think they're the most sensible overall of all of the third parties.

That said, I'm still voting for Kerry. This is not the year that I want to make a statement.

10. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "the greens are too crunchy" -- I'll stop laughing in a half an hour or so!! That was great. :D

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    From what I could tell, the Constitution Party's platform is essentially to make Christianity the official, forced religion of all Americans. Anyone else getting that?

12. simplysoccerBR

simplysoccerBR New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    I voted the Greens in Brazil, and would vote in them if I were American. All Green parties in the world are somehow interconnected.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, from their FAQ page...

Are you “Tough on Crime?”

The United States Constitution only gave the Federal government power over three areas – the punishment of counterfeiting, felonies on the high seas and treason. Everything else is properly within the jurisdiction of state and local governments.

However, it is inherently contradictory to the dignity of human liberty to cage a man for his life as punishment. I would encourage the States to establish Justice in their criminal system by establishing the policy that crimes should be remedied by restitution or execution.

I'm not sure it's exactly "Christian." They're into God, though:

The very first presupposition of American government is that there exists a Creator God, yet our taxpayer-funded schools teach our children that He either doesn’t exist or that they can’t mention His name.

This attack against the right of the people to acknowledge God is disgraceful and it is un-American. The Constitution Party is committed to an American understanding of law and government – that rights come from God and that it is the purpose of government to secure and defend them.

After reading a bit, I'm wondering why this guy didn't get Fred Phelps on his ticket.

14. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I was looking at this, from the Campaign Themes page:

"Michael Peroutka and the Constitution Party will fight to defend America against its foreign and domestic enemies in order to return to a Republic of Sovereign States based on Biblical principles."

15. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the problem is that the 3rd parties tend to be the collection of oddballs on the political fringe, as opposed to real centrist alternatives. Personally I find the Democrats to be completely disorganized and philosophicly incoherent, and the Republicans to be a christian conservative shell corporation under Bush, so frankly, politicly, I dont want to vote FOR anybody.

But each mainstream party has enough nutjobs of their own that my voting habits tend to be "vote for whos the least insane".

Edit: Let me make an additional comment about the reform party. Philisophicly, I think their may be some real meat there, but organizationally they keep nominating the biggest name who wants to run for their party, not for someone who is attempting to lead a movement. And I cant stand Nader.

16. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying the dems and reps are really 3rd parties? Too cool!
    :D

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I started rambling there. Now shuttup! ;)

18. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I could have sworn that the Reform Party didn't nominate Nader this time.

I went to reformarty.org and got this:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

Man, is this their website and is this any way to run a party?

Oh well,
    here are more choices!

http://www.politics1.com/p2004.htm

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Nader used to run as a Green. For whatever reason that didn't work this year so the Reform party took him in.

20. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    I might be voting for Badnarik -- frankly I can't understand why in a country with so many anti-government folks (especially the rugged folk out in the boonies), the libertarians do so poorly! Surely they can at least win a few local and state seats here and there? :confused:

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Prohibition Party still exists, although mostly as a platform for the leader to advertise his political button business.

I'm a fan of the United Fascist Union. No other party has a name that contains a redundancy. And it's lead by (and consists totally of) a black dressed conpiracy theorist Roman Empire fanatic who lives with his mother. That is like Strong Bad cool.

22. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bull Moose Party! :D

23. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Workers of the world unite!

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if this says more about you, or about Bush. The Constitution Party are a bunch of scary wingnuts.

Me? I'd like to see some kind of fusion between Libertarian and Green ideals. The libs give waaaaay too much freedom to corporations.

25. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    The National Peasant Political Union in '04! Defending our land and culture against rootless cosmopolitans and suburban landgrabbers!

Register today and get a free pitchfork.