If you had to put together a starting XI for Qatar 2022, who would be in it?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ofori, May 16, 2020.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a few players that I'm hoping they make a move to more playing time at first team, either with their current team, or loan/sale.
    I'm high with Richards,De La Fuente, Llanes, Cappis.

I'll be happy if one of them breaks through.

Ofori repped this.
  2. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    It will most likely be Richards

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'd certainly consider giving him a look in friendlies. But reviews out of lower level Bundesliga haven't been stunning; he's been playing a lot of RB, and I'm not starting a 19 year old CB in a WCQ match for a national team debut. No thanks.

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think Llanez has the best chance to make an impact. He can be young and play the late offensive winger sub role pretty effectively. His shot at the roster is hampered a bit by Gio Reyna's breakout -- otherwise, the role was really clearly his for the taking.

I think Miles Robinson has a better shot at starting in the 2022 World Cup than Chris Richards.

5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Gio Reyna the fact that his father Claudio played for the national team and his father was captain and then all these years later his son makes the NT...I can see Gio being better than his father ever was

laxcoach repped this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Llanez is hard to tell. His athleticism isn't bad exactly, but he isn't explosive. But you have to be able to create daylight by speed or size or skill/craftiness. Llanez seems like he's in the last of those. I could see that working at high levels in some places, not as well in others. From the sound of it, it's not going to be enough at Wolfsburg. They're saying nice things about him. But it's the sort of nice things they say about players who are about to get loaned and then transferred to 2BL or Austria. He reminds me a little of Sebastian Lletget.

Richards looks like a man among boys in his youth team tapes from his first year at Bayern. But it sounds like he dropped off some this year.

Watching highlights of Otasowie, it just seems like the other team hates playing him. 6-3 physical, quick, skillful. always in charge of his space.

I praised Kayo on the YNT board and took some shots - he's a track star, not a soccer player. But that's what they say about Zardes, too.

Ledezma will probably get some time with PSV. I'm not sure what he'll do with it.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Llanez, it’s about shit or get off the pot time for him though at Wolfsburg.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Otossawee sounds to have the athletism to make it, I just haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I find Llanez pretty explosive.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He turned 19 like a month ago. He’s doing fine.

12. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    USA is young pretty young on average but that is the beauty of it though. No one knows how good this young USA team can be. They can be fast on the ball and or beat you in other ways besides speed and ball control but on the counter and or on defense. Possibly the best backline in CONCACAF right now besides Mexico, bar none.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And apparently Llanez going to be in the gameday 18 on Tuesday, per @charlie kennan

14. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Llanez is getting a lot of traction

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he at least gets a brief cameo. Would be a great step for him.

16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    How about Chris Gloster? I mean he has the talent to make the squad

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Not a bad guess, but I think you'd have a real hard time not finding a spot on the pitch for Reyna at this rate. (And, as usual, the left back role is a total crapshoot. It might well be one of our surplus of right backs playing on his wrong side...)

Ofori and truefan420 repped this.
  18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah thinking about it now I would include Reyna in that starting 11 and take out Aaronson

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If we had to play Belgium (#1 ranked team as per Elo) tomorrow in a playoff game, with all our guys healthy and Belgium playing their usual A-team in their usual 3-4-3:

----------------------------Steffen*---------------------------
    -----------Miazga---------Brooks-------Long-------------
    ----Dest*---------Adams-----McKennie*-----Pulisic---
    -----------------------------Reyna----------------------------
    ----------------Morris----------------Sargent*-------------

The * guys are far from ideal against such rival, but are there because there's nothing else.

As for subs, we'd be screwed:

Guzan
    ---
    Ream
    Robinson
    Cannon
    Robinson
    ---
    Morales
    Yueill
    Lletget
    Holmes
    Pomykal
    ---
    Altidore

3rd Keeper: Horvath

And hope their guys are as rusty as ours.

Ofori repped this.
  20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Sorry what I meant to say is that this lineup actually looks good...damn good

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want to take our best player and put him in a position that doesn’t suit him? Also Wes is def of level and probably one of the best suited players in our pool for a game like that. He would be needed to do so much defensive work and bring the physicality to the midfield.

gogorath repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You have to remember that lineup is against a very specific rival (I don't believe in a single "best lineup" for every team facing you). So let's have a look at it:

-------------------------------Steffen---------------------------------
    ----------------------------Brooks--------------------------------------
    ----------Miazga----------Lukaku----------------Long-------------
    -------E. Hazard----------------McKennie------Mertens--------
    Dest------------------Adams---------KdB------------Pulisic------
    Thorgan-------------Witsel------------------------------Castagne
    -----------------------------------Reyna--------------------------------
    ---------Morris----------------Boyata-------Sargent--------------
    -----------Vermaelen------------------------Toby-------------------
    -------------------------------Courtois--------------------------------

Yep. McKennie will have to cover like he does in Schalke, often helping Brooks.

Pulisic and Dest could be constant threats, facing the only weak spots for the Belgians, the wide areas. Witsel is the focus guy for them, so Adams would have to be on him like a barnacle.

The big problem is de Bruyne. Hopefully, he'd have to support covering Puli and giving us some respite.

I don't think we'd have much of a chance, though. Unless Steffen plays like Howard in 2014. And, even so, let's remember they were playing their second striker against us then (Origi). When Lukaku came in, things went pear-shaped for us.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what your saying but against a team like that we’d be playing without the ball for long stretches. You want to take the player who’s by far the best on the counter and as for him to defend at times in our own box. Sorry but that makes no sense. You’re making it even harder for him to break out. You would have to drop one of Morris or Sargent and play Pulisic up high. Insert AR at wingback. His speed and cross would be beneficial. I’d likely also drop Miazga for a quicker CB to play that RCB in a back 3 but if it’s really tomorrow I’m not sure there’s a better option.

Something like this

----------------------------Steffen---------------------------
    -----------Miazga---------Brooks-------Long-------------
    ----Dest---------Adams-----McKennie—----AR—---
    ------------------------Reyna--------Pulisic--------------------
    --------------------------------Sargent----————--------

nobody, Ofori and gogorath repped this.
  25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020