If you had to put together a starting XI for Qatar 2022, who would be in it?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Ofori, May 16, 2020.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Kluivert is not a scoring threat at all. He's a decent wing player and very good at bringing long passes down to his feet.

Frysk Bloed and Ofori repped this.
  2. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then it will no doubt be Memphis Depay but Memphis will be 32 at least

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't know what competition you are thinking about. Depay is only 26 right now.

4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Oh yeah never mind Memphis will be 28 by the time Qatar starts so he'll be hitting his peak by then

5. Boadu: "hold my beer"

BaritoPutra repped this.
  6. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Myron Boadu I wouldn't mind that myself because like Memphis they are both Ghanaian also

7. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As far as Bergwijn being average...I just don't agree. He does so many good little things and reads the game well. Even if he's not directly contributing to a goal he creates the right movement and openings in the final third. Work rate is important, too. I've heard for years about how Wijnaldum was average and so on while I argued for how good he is. Bergwijn is similar as a forward; he might get underrated but he's an elite talent.

I mean two years from now there will be plenty of talent to talk about in terms of goal scoring threats. Memphis, Malen, Boadu, Stengs (more a creator, but has a goal in him), Bergwijn, guys like Gakpo and Redan will be more experienced and potentially breaking out, even guys like Hansen (who I love) and Brobbey are outside shots.

Memphis if healthy though is a phenomenal striker, and I suspect will be the best of the bunch at that time. On his game he's one of the best in the world.

Of course we can't forget contributions potentially from van de Beek or Wijnaldum from midfield either. When given licence to go forward Wijnaldum led the Netherlands in goalscoring also.

8. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    my friend I think you are missing the picture here. my spot light is on his deficiencies. you can look at other wingers here as well, lens, narsingh,and even Depay when he arrived at epl. they were all explosive wingers, pace and were contributors here and there but they were lacking in one or two department. narsingh his ability to cross, Lens was only good running without the ball, depay one way traffic, cut inside and pull the trigger back in united days. i would put elia here as well, he was a very good winger but perhaps his frame let him down especially in duals. Groeneveld has already showcased he is is a package deal. proven scorer ,dribble, crossing, explosiveness pace, you name it.this is where im coming from. I dont wanna post the goal and assist video but be my guest, take a look and try dissecting it.

re: wijnaldum

jack of all trade and master of none. consistency is always a issue.

9. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Roma has put him up for sale and this is probably the reason why. they did the same with Salah. its business for them and plus they have alot of cover up players in that position. the latest on him is ,his super agent Raiola is trying t negioate a swap deal with Arsenal for permanent stay of Mkihitaryan at Roma and kluivert going in the opposite direction.

fingers crossed zivkovic will blossom late after securing epl move. Im a big fan of his.

10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Netherlands will be a dark horse come 2022

11. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Or if you want a more updated Final 23 Man Squad (4-2-3-1)

GK- Bizot
    LB- Ake
    CB- Van Dijk
    CB- de Ligt
    RB- Dumfries
    CDM- Strootman
    CM- van de Beek
    LAM- Wijnaldum
    CAM- de Jong
    RAM- Bergwijn
    CF- Depay

Bench

GK- Cillessen, Zoet
    LB- Blind, van Aanholt
    RB- Tete, Veltman
    CM- Propper, de Roon
    RW- Promes, Stengs
    CF- Boadu, Malen

12. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I'd hope Wijndal would be starting LB in two years time. Think he has the qualities to be a top LB.

I also hope Strootman is replaced by Koopmeiners by then.

13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Wijnaldum is an attacking midfielder though but Strootman at least has been consistent

14. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The other option I'd be alright with is...

Bijlow
    Zeefuik - de Ligt - van Dijk - Wijndal
    de Jong
    van de Beek - Wijnaldum
    Stengs - Memphis - Bergwijn
    Lots of quality on the bench in this situation. Koopmeiners, Boadu, Malen, de Vrij, Ake, etc.

15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    In that case this is a good starting 11

16. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #41 wilson00, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    They will be a good team but not the best nor contenders. You look at the nations league where NT looked to be at their peak and best in the europe. By the time the qualifers came around other big nations had already started catching them up because firstly koeman stuck with the same starting 11 and secondly he was building the team around few key players without whom he was skidding.

Now you look germany for example, how players like kai Harvetz,leon goretzka,Julian Brandt,Timo werner whom within a very short span have raised their stakes and if you throw gnabry and Sane in there, they will be a power house by 2022. Why? Because all are playing at the highest level including others like gundagon,Kroos,Reus,Draxler,klimmch,thilo kehrer and weigl to name a few. Imagine the level some of this players will be come WC 2022. Now compare this to NT, where 4-5 players at most are playing at CL level and with koeman expected to continue with the same group of players.

Things that needs to happen and happen fast.more players need to recognized based on their talents and injected just like stengs Boadu, malen and groeneveld who all proved within 1 or 2 caps that they have what it takes to play at the NT level. Dilrosun,Wijndal,Veerman,Koopmeiners,Til,El ghazi and sinkgraven to name a few. What Im saying here is why waste time on players like veltman,Propper,Blind,Berghuis when there is players to invest who are upgrade to them but need maybe few shots to hit the ground rolling in NT. How can you forget van dijk here and how he choked on his first few outings for NT. De ligt as well.

The biggest draw back for NT has been the tendency for them to wait for players to prove beyond doubt that they can perform at NT level or unless there is injury crisis leaving them with no other option but to give others the nod just like what happened after depay injury, after only which Boadu and stengs came into spot light.

There is also a need to build not just depth but quality depth in the team. You need to have hard impact players on the bench who can come on and change the game at any time. A very good example here is wijnaldum and VDBeek. You dont know who is better than who. Again this is where things will drag because there is no one else who are better than them at the moment or playing at that level like they are. You just have to except this and just go with what coaches tatically can throw.

This is why im saying they will be a good team but not the best or contenders. You need atmost all players to be playing at the highest level or if not of high quality if you wanna win on the big stage.

Depay- malen

Wijnaldum

Groeneveld-Frenkie-Veerman- karsdorp

Ake-Van Dijk-De Ligt

Cillessen/Bizot

Ofori repped this.
  17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But for the national team for the most part the Dutch do have that youth within the team

18. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what are u implying here.

19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I am implying that the Dutch have a youthful team which of course plays to their strengths case in point in the UEFA Nations League where they made it all the way to the Final. Of course they have the youth but still have that experience within their team and it is for a lack of a better word making them more of a threat as far as European teams when it comes not just to the EUROs but also Qatar 2022

20. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #45 wilson00, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    its not only the dutch, all other big nations have their youth production thriving including transition. its the gap between them that im talking about and how within a very short span they raise the bar. take Jadon sancho for example,which dutch player in the same age category is up to his level at the moment? the dutch have always being known for their production of highly rated talents but their transition to to the next level has always been limiting. the equation is simply,the more dutch players move to bigger clubs and play at competitive level including at Cl and El level the better for NT. this will considerably close the gap between them and other players playing in other competitive league. note im not saying move when you are still young. I mean like to that of frenkie and de ligt.

Belgium in the last three tournaments were predominately tagged as dark horse especially with their golden generation but still they kept falling short. well in this case the situation is bit different but you can see still see the level required to acclaim that status.

I have already said this before, the midfield is the puzzle in NT, they need players there who can bring more creativity and balance at the same time.

Ofori repped this.
  21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I agree with everything you are saying no I whole heartedly agree with you but the Dutch do have a great midfield right now but for me, for me their biggest strengths right now are coming from up front within the winger/striker positions and the defense especially

Helps that you guys have a great coach in Koeman