If you aren't from Brazil, do you root for Brazil in the World Cup?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by dark knight, Jun 13, 2006.

1. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    I have to disagree. Brazil will posess the ball for minutes at a time without the other team touching it. They do have individual flare (ridiculous amounts of it, really), but they also have brilliant team chemistry. Short 1 touch balls all over the place, and it just flows. It's a joy to watch. I hadn't watched too much of Brazil, and thought that they were very very overrated. They still might be, but I gained a lot of respect for them.

I do like to see individual skill getting dominated by good team play (see Real Madrid)

Who I would like to win the WC:
    USA
    An underdog (T&T, Australia, someone that has no chance, or came in with nothing to lose)
    Brazil

2. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to stir the pot more, but so far no one who has disagreed with me has been able to counter the fact that individual players on Brazil hold the ball for extended periods of time or that their system relies solely on individual talent.

I agree that teams that employ too many tactics are rather boring at time. That is why it's nice to see Spain perform to their level. That is a mix of individual talent and team tactics. I liked the way they played against the Ukraine.

However, I think teams that have a couple of great players and can employ a good system that relies more on attacking possession than defense is the most exiciting. Look at Australia. They didn't hang back and dull the game - they were making forward movements and it finally paid off in a big way during the final 8 minutes.

Outside of my loyalties, I'd love to see Australia, Ivory Coast, or T&T make a big run. That's what the Cup is reall yabout. It's not about Brazil, Germany, Italy, or England getting another star.

3. benwb

benwb New Member

Oct 29, 2005
    I'd rather see anyone but Brazil or Germany win the world cup.

4. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Yeah I'd root for Brazil if my team(s) aren't there. They play beautiful soccer and as much as I love underdogs, a tournament without Brazil is just not the same.

5. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    I respect them for their skill, but I hate them for their arrogance. In short, I never root for them to win.

6. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    My allegiance is first and foremost for the US, although I have a vague interest in Spain and Italy because of heritage, as well. And since my girlfriend is Ecuadorian, that's who I root for from South America.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm so sick and tired of these front-runner fans that ride Brazil's jockstrap.

7. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    I thought Tunisia v. Saudi Arabia was the best match of the tournament so far. It was exciting to see two evenly matched opponents fight tooth and nail till the very end.

8. Mark@the_Library

Jul 18, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    Whoever plays the beautiful game should win. That does not only mean Brazil.

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    well if not Brazil to support, [result]I normally am not a fan of them, but Argentina is playing great dive-free football at the moment and now have the goal of the tournament against Serbia[/result].

10. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never going to cheer for the Favorites especially Brazil. Holland is my pick if the U.S don't make it far.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We'll see how long the truth of the highlighted part lasts... but so far, you're right.