If you aren't from Brazil, do you root for Brazil in the World Cup?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by dark knight, Jun 13, 2006.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Especially after your team goes home? There has been tons of genuflecting towards Brazil in the media, and I know many American fans who choose to root for Brazil over their local team.

So do you love Brazil for their style or want them to lose because they always win?

2. kakaboypuf redded

Feb 1, 2006
    Rotterdam
    love them for their style

3. william64

william64 New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Paso Robles, Calif.
    I like their skill, style, and talent, but I still hope they lose.

4. mexicano

mexicano New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Templológico
    i wanna see somebody else take the trophy... plus, i would love to prove the people that say that just because brazil has all this stars they will win it all wrong.

5. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i will always cheer against Brazil! unless they are playing France. France will never get my cheers. However, like most US fans, i have 'back-ups" for when we inevitably go out (especially when we play like we did on Wed). i have stated since April that Argentina will win this cup. if i cheer South America, that's where I go. Usually, it's Germany and England that i cheer for after the US. All about my heritage.

anyone who roots for Brazil that isn't Brazillian is a poser. Especially since the media loves them.

6. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    I would love to see Australia win it all.
    Japan vs. Australia has been the best game so far.

7. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Amazing late effort by the Roos

8. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agree 100%!!! Couldnt of said it better.

9. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the US, you gotta root for them. Ronaldinho is just so likable.

Don't get me wrong, I root for the US far and away more then any other team. But I also root for Brazil and the smaller CONCACAF nations(T&T and CR). More then that I root for good soccer.

10. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong, Ronaldinho is the scariest man to ever set foot on a pitch. He's good, but I'm sick of hearing about him. I thought one of the ESPN announcers was getting a little too excited about him earlier today. Plus, I don't like Barca, so he is triple bad.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love watching Brazil play, it's a joy to see them after our team's sorry ass performance against Czech Republic, but I'd still always cheer for the underdog.

My desire is to see someone not from South America or Europe win it all.

12. USMNT 10

USMNT 10 New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    SFCA
    Brasil has always been my second choice after the US. There was such a long time there where worrying about any conflict of interest between US and Brasil was a completely moot point. Brasil is the only "overdog" I ever get to root for, having lived there for 5 years as a kid. Besides Brasilians are such great people.... gregarious, fun-loving and open minded. Absolutely the best and most congenial soccer fans anywhere.

After 5 titles though I wouldn't mind seeing the Netherlands take finally, They have always played the "joga bonito" of Europe. They are deserving after coming so close several times before.

13. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are great. Just be nice to see someone else win...;)

14. assistman

assistman New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Brasil is my second favorite behind the US. I just love their style and the enjoyment they get from playing the game. I always fear that some team will play like Greece in Euro 2004.
    And now I'm marrying a Brasilian, so I have no choice but to root for Brasil.

15. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil are fun to watch. I would like to see them go deep into the tournament.

As far as whether I root for or against Brazil, it depends on who the opponenet is. Except for the USA, and then a distant 2nd, Poland, I really have no emotional attachment to any other National team. I have always liked the Dutch style and players (starting many decades ago with Cruyff, Neeskens, etc.). So I am pulling for them a little bit this tournament, but again, there is no emotional attachment.

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are what they call... "a dreamer"

:rolleyes:

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's terrible when a weaker team realizes its strengths and weaknesses and adjusts its game plan accordingly to make the impossible possible.

Boo on weaker teams being able to win major trophies!:rolleyes:

18. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    thank you. complaining about tactics seemed to be the sore loser excuse all throughout europe. Every team in that tourney knew what they were getting themselves into when they were playing Greece. if you cant managed to break a bunker and to force a team out of thier shell, you dont deserve to win. period. Portugal made that mistake TWICE!

19. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i love when tactical skill outdoes individual talent. That is why seeing Brazil go down would mean so much. That's why Chelsea will begin to fail now that they are bringing in high-priced individual talents. Look at Real Madrid for proof.

Brazil is a nation of high-price, high-skill players. They heavily rely on individual talents to win. Brazil rarely utilizes what i would call "team play." There are passes etc, but few that i would say are "strung together." Mostly, it is putting talented players on the field and letting them ballhog (Ronaldinho) until they need to ditch it to another talented player (Ronaldo) to do the same. In small sided play, it is "jogo bonito," but in a full squad it is just selfish.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wouldn't mind seeing a small European country win it (Czechs, Croatia, even Holland), just as I would've liked to have seen Paraguay w/ Chilivert take the trophy, but I won't get too fired up if the Championship match is Brazil vs. Someone Else Who's Already Won The Damn Thing.

21. USMNT 10

USMNT 10 New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    SFCA
    Hey man, I've got to politely disagree with you in several key ways and agree in some ways.

The Brasil squad are well paid and highly skilled. They do rely on individual talent to win. Due to their individual skill, and their cultural nature, they are a flow team, as opposed to a technical squad. It takes a very high level of skill and mutual comprehension to operate with a flow and win. I believe they are actually the most truly unselfish squad, the players with a "smaller" role are most assuredly fully supporting the activities of the other more visible or well known players. What appears to be "selfish" is actually accentuating the strongest assets. It is only "selfish" if the underlying motivation is to accentuate personal individual advancement and achievement over that of the team, that is not their objective, all are served by the evidence of their winning 5 world cups. They have a different concept of competition from yours, to them winning is the highest manifestation of team. According to your statements, to you, if the perceived credit is spread more evenly then it's winning. I suggest that worrying about who gets credit for what, how much they are paid, and that they "hog" the ball, is a recipe for failure. The Brasilians' record speaks for itself. Focusing on who gets individual attention and credit is not on their minds so much as it is in yours.

22. USMNT 10

USMNT 10 New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    SFCA
    Hey man, I've got to politely disagree with you in several key ways and agree in some ways.

The Brasil squad are well paid and highly skilled. They do rely on individual talent to win. Due to their individual skill, and their cultural nature, they are a flow team, as opposed to a technical squad. It takes a very high level of skill and mutual comprehension to operate with a flow and win. I believe they are actually the most truly unselfish squad, the players with a "smaller" role are most assuredly fully supporting the activities of the other more visible or well known players. What appears to be "selfish" is actually accentuating the strongest assets. It is only "selfish" if the underlying motivation is to accentuate personal individual advancement and achievement over that of the team, that is not their objective, all are served by the evidence of their winning 5 world cups. They have a different concept of competition from yours, to them winning is the highest manifestation of team. According to your statements, to you, if the perceived credit is spread more evenly then it's winning. I suggest that worrying about who gets credit for what, how much they are paid, and that they "hog" the ball, is a recipe for failure. The Brasilians' record speaks for itself. Focusing on who gets individual attention and credit is not on their minds so much as it is in yours.

23. Westguy13

Westguy13 New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Topeka
    I can't even vote on this cause neither is true for me. I don't want them to win so I can't vote for that and I'm not going to vote for the no because saying that every other team is an underdog is an insult to international soccer. There are too many good teams to say that Brazil is so good that no other team has a good shot at it. I don't want Brazil to win because I'm a fan of Germany and the US I would rather see them win the a team that I really don't have any feeling towards.

24. Hucsman

Hucsman Football Ayatollah

Jun 26, 2005
    México
    Brasil's style is beautiful, but it just wouldn't be healthy for internatinal soccer if they won again.

25. BRASUCA94

BRASUCA94 New Member

Jun 20, 2000
    CT
    Tactical Skill on the other hand makes for a game so mechanized, kinda like watching american footbal. yeah, if the play goes right it looks nice and fast paced, but most of these players lack the individual talent, they can't dribble the ball. Individual talent gives the extra punch to the play.