If Wynalda wasn't married... Landon would be the man

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by alliu23, Oct 24, 2004.

1. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always knew that Wynalda really liked Donovan, I mean he always brings him up in every broadcast that he commentates, mainly because you can't deny Donovan is awesome. But this really puts the icing on the cake:
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_...22&content_id=17473&vkey=mlscup2004&fext=.jsp

He is right though, as much as I don't want Donovan to leave the Quakes and MLS, it might be the best option. I guess I will be glad when they decide for sure, all the suspense is killing me.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, no one knew if Donovan would even join the league at the time Frank Yallop accepted the job, so that couldn't have been a factor for him. Otherwise, I doubt that he would've selected Chris Carrieri with the first overall pick that year.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

3. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda is married? She must be a brave woman.

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
  5. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I heard on the Hall of Fame induction game with Chicago and the Metros she was expecting a baby..

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The entire broadcast was centered around Landon. The prelude, the halftime special, the general banter. You'd think that they might have something, anything, stored up to say about the team that'd been on espn2 only once all year, and actually won the Western Conference and the U.S. Open Cup. Sigh.

7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, KC didnt exactly impress in the previous time, and frankly didnt exactly give many opportunities in this one to compliment them.

8. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm putting 10 bucks down and betting that the baby will look suspiciously like John Harkes.... :D

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But today's game didn't really have anything to do with the prepackaged pieces. I mean, god forbid the Wizards make it to MLS Cup - this would be their opportunity to actually introduce the Wizards to the national audience.

10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose is the reigning MLS cup champions. LD is probably the best playoff performer in the history of the league. I can totally understand feeling the Wizards were slighted in the prepackaged stuff, but I dont feel it was gratuitously done.

I think if the Wizards were jobbed this year its that this is only their second appearance on ESPN2.

11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already got a daughter named Brook who was born around the time he did in his knee playing in the MFL.

12. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I suspect a lot of the focus on Donovan was also due to the rampant (and seemingly more realistic) speculation that this could be his last year in MLS. They are trying to showcase what an incredible player he is, what he has meant to this league...and maybe even influence the powers-that-be to roll up their sleeves and get a deal done to buy his contract outright and keep him in MLS.

True enough, though, about KC feeling slighted. With the Wizards' luck, if they got through to MLS Cup, they'd face DC United and everything would be about Freddy Adu. :D

GO QUAKES!!!**

13. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Agreed. Considering that this may have been LD's last appearance on an ESPN2 MLS broadcast, I am not surprised he was the focus of a lot of well-deserved attention.

14. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Credit where credit is due, K.C. had a great season this year. Arguably, they have one of the best defenders in the league (I'm a little biased on that one).

BTW, Andy, we know how it feels to be slighted. But with us, it comes from our very own team owners and Mayor!!!!!!!

15. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true that..

16. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Landon Donovan is US soccer.....Eric Wynalda was US soccer.....maybe he feels a kinship in a way......maybe he's trying to endorse Landon in a way that he was never really endorsed.....or, just maybe he was trying to sell a game that was televised by his employer.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent, excellent (tenting his fingers, M.C. Burns style)

18. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

Your last statement hits the spot. I just drove by the new city hall, gets me mad again. This mayor is getting away with so much.
    GO QUAKES!!!!!!

19. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a very interesting point